How much protein/fat/carbs??

Options
My daily calories are set to 1200 per day at the moment. This is based on losing 1 lb. per week. I stay within my range and eat back most of my exercise calories. I have not lost any weight for at least a month. I am maintaining though. I have been using the guidelines given to me by MFP. I know some people customize their fat, protein and carb goals. I was wondering if this might help me lose the last few pounds that I am trying to get off. How do I know what the right amount of protein, carbs and fat to eat per day? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    First, you need to find your BMR based on your weight, height and age and multiply that by your fitness level. This is your maintenance level of calories. I am assuming you want to cut and lose fat. After you find your maintenance level, cut your calories by 20%. This is the equation for women: [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161
    (For those men reading, the equation is: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5)

To determine your activity level:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

Protein: I follow the 1g/lb BW guideline. 1 gram of protein is 4 calories.
    Fat: Between 0.35 to 0.45 g/BW. 1 gram of fat is 9 calories.
    Carbs: However many grams it is to fill up the rest of your calories.
    This is the equation:
    carb calories = Total calorie needs - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])
    carbs in grams = above total/ 4

Here's an example. A 30 year old, 5'5" (165.1 cm) woman weighing 145 lbs (66kg) works a desk job from 9-5. She works out 3 days a week, which includes heavy lifting and 20 minute HIIT afterwards. Her BMR is this: [9.99 x 66kg]+[6.25 x 165.1]-[4.92 x 30yo]-161 = 1382.6 calories. Multiply 1380 calories by her activity level, which is probably 1.3 to 1.4. 1382.6*1.4 = 1935.
    That is her calorie goal to maintain her weight. She wants to lose some fat, so she decides to cut her calories by 20%. Her daily caloric goal would then be 1540 calories.

Her protein goal to prevent muscle loss is 145 grams. (580 calories)
    Her fat goal is 65 grams. (585 calories)
    Her carbohydrate needs are whatever is left over. (1540-(580+585))/4 = 94 g of carbs.
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking your time to give me this info! I guess I have some calculating to do!
  • melrose09
    Options
    This might help. It's geared towards athletes, but the overall information is good for everyone.

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2009/03000/Nutrition_and_Athletic_Performance.27.aspx
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!