chia seed lovers:

Options
eeebee
eeebee Posts: 471 Member
i have tried soaking the seeds in water or juice and then drinking that after a few minutes time.

however, i think it is vile. :noway: a bit like what i imagine frog spawn to taste like (and same texture - slimy gel).

why do people do this as opposed to just putting a spoonful of seeds in your mouth and drinking it down with water?

surely it'd have the same effect with expansion, it just happens in the stomach as opposed to in the glass thus still keeping you just as full as if you were to drink the gel.

am i wrong in assuming this?

Replies

• chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    No idea what the hell those are but it sounds gross.. :ohwell:
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i have tried soaking the seeds in water or juice and then drinking that after a few minutes time.

however, i think it is vile. :noway: a bit like what i imagine frog spawn to taste like (and same texture - slimy gel).

why do people do this as opposed to just putting a spoonful of seeds in your mouth and drinking it down with water?

surely it'd have the same effect with expansion, it just happens in the stomach as opposed to in the glass thus still keeping you just as full as if you were to drink the gel.

am i wrong in assuming this?

My sister in law gave me a smoothie recipe using them. I plan to go buy some and make some protein smoothies.
  • GNBC
    GNBC Posts: 9
    Options
    incorporate them in your foods instead of drinking them (had never heard of people consuming them this way). I add them to salads, or grilled vegetables or to smoothies for my kids.
  • eeebee
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions :smile:

i have tried it sprinkled in salad or on toast (made with seeded bread) as well....but the seeds just get stuck in my teeth and they are so hard to get out. plus, after a few minutes the gel forms around the seeds stuck in my teeth and it's just a horrible sensation.

i really do want to try getting into these seeds as so many people swear by them, i am finding this is the only way i can consume them without it being an unpleasant experience.
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I make a chia seed pudding using hazelnut chocolate milk. Yummy! You let them soak in the milk for at least 20 mins or overnight. Very good and the kids eat it up too!
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    if you blend them in a smoothie you get none of the slimy feeling to them.. good luck!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I make a chia seed pudding using hazelnut chocolate milk. Yummy! You let them soak in the milk for at least 20 mins or overnight. Very good and the kids eat it up too!

Can you post or send me the recipe?
  • eeebee
    Options

sounds pretty palatable! does the 20 minute soak eradicate the texture of slime and the slight crunch of seed? if it's a chocolate pudding type of texture, i'm all over that---> except i cant get hazlenut chocolate milk here in the UK i dont think!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I used to take these, but then my hair turned green.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's regarded as a superfood. High in protein too.

I soak chai seeds in almond milk overnight and in the morning, I add banana & fresh berries. I freakin love the stuff!!!!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I add them to smoothies and protein shakes because I like the thick consistency it creates.
  • eeebee
    Options
    i'd better try these in smoothies this weekend then!

does the slight crunch of whats left of the seed husk remain after the soaking and blending or does blending completely get rid of that too?
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I add them to smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt, baked goods, etc. Never have a problem with them that way. Drinking them straight sounds gross.
  • AJLovinLife
    Options
    I used to blog for a local food company, but when I just went to get the link for the blog posting the site is down so here is what i had without my pictures.

"So I already talked about the great value of chia seeds in another post, but just incase you missed it. ;) They are not just for use on your favorite chia pet. Chia seeds are not only high in omega-fatty 3’s but also have antioxidants, fiber, protein and calcium. Another interesting fact about the chia seed is that they were an ancient super food used by the Mayans, Aztecs and Incas. In fact, Chia means "strength" in the language of the Mayans, and was considered running food. Messengers would eat some chia seed and they could run all day with the energy provided by these tiny seeds.

People have been using these seeds for years and years, but my discovery came from my mother-in-law. I have to say that in our families (DH and Mine) my mother-in-law and I run a close race on who is the bigger health “nut”… Coming from California she always has her fingertips on the pulse of the latest and greatest “health” information. I LOVE dinners with her because not only is she a great cook but she always has great and new healthy options that are fabulous! So when she started using chia seeds she had to share them with us. I love getting packages from her because they are always something we will use and love. So when I got this package with some finely ground seeds, I have to admit I was unsure how to use them, but once I figured it out I was hooked.

What I LOVE about chia seed is they are just so versatile you can eat them by their self, add to a smoothie/oatmeal/veggies/baked goods, sprout them, and yes make pudding with them. ;) I have even read of some using them as an egg replacement in baking. I am just now diving into the world of sprouting but we have been using chia seeds in everything for quite a few years now. I have to say that my 2 favorite ways to eat them is as a pudding and in my smoothies.

Here is our pudding recipe:
    • 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
    • 1 1/2 Cups Nut Milk of Choice (I like Chocolate Hazelnut Milk)
    Mix and store in fridge overnight. (or if you are like me and always forget, make it in the morning and it is ready for a late afternoon/evening snack...) The seeds will create this gel around themselves becoming bigger and translucent.

Variations or add ins:
    Melt some peanut butter and add to plain pudding
    Puréed mango, sweetener of choice and a dash of vanilla extract
    Puréed banana
    Add some cinnamon to your chocolate pudding
    Vanilla bean
    Use coconut milk for a coconut pudding
    Top your chocolate with raspberries or blackberries
    Make a chai tea chia seed pudding- take your vanilla chia pudding and add sweetener, a dash of the following spices cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, ginger, pepper and cloves –yummmm
    Drop of peppermint or sweet orange essential oil in chocolate pudding
    Top with walnuts a great superfood

Note: If you use whole chia seeds this will be like a tapioca pudding and ground chia sees will be a smoother consistency. Just depends on what you are in the mood for. Also For thinner pudding, use more milk. For thicker pudding add more seeds."
  • AJLovinLife
    Options
    Here is another of my postings that was for a smoothie that I added chia seeds too. Wish the site was working. They recently went though new ownership and I wonder if the blog is down forever or just for a bit?

"We are a hockey family with two boys and a husband that turn just about every second of their free time into a hockey match either on the ice or off. Both DH and my oldest son sometimes complain of their stomachs not feeling good after some intense exercise. To help with this DH doctor told him he needed plenty of fluids and to eat some potassium after he exercised. So when my son started complaining of the same thing after his hockey practices, I decided to find something they both will eat and enjoy.

I came up with the Oh You Nutty Monkey smoothie it is chocked full of all kinds of great things to help you rebound after a hard game or workout. Add a banana for the potassium. 1 cup Hazelnut milk because hazelnuts are an excellent source of vitamin E, dietary fiber, magnesium, heart healthy B vitamins, and they are one of the highest natural sources of antioxidants. Of course some peanut butter because of the protein. Did you know our bodies use amino acids found in protein to build and repair muscle tissue?

As if this drink is not healthy enough, lets add some Chia seeds. Yes I said chia seeds, they are not just for use on your favorite chia pet. Chia seeds are not only high in omega-fatty 3’s but also have antioxidants, fiber, protein and calcium. Another interesting fact about the chia seed is that they were an ancient super food used by the Mayans, Aztecs and Incas. In fact, Chia means "strength" in the language of the Mayans, and was considered running food because messengers could run all day with the help of these tiny seeds. For more information on chia check out this wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica

1 banana
    1 cup chocolate hazelnut milk
    1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
    1 tablespoon chia seed
    2 handfuls of ice cubes

Mix all of the above for some yummy goodness."
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It's regarded as a superfood. High in protein too.

I soak chai seeds in almond milk overnight and in the morning, I add banana & fresh berries. I freakin love the stuff!!!!

I do something similar, except I use coconut milk with vanilla bean added and then add some berries.....
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Here is another of my postings that was for a smoothie that I added chia seeds too. Wish the site was working. They recently went though new ownership and I wonder if the blog is down forever or just for a bit?

"We are a hockey family with two boys and a husband that turn just about every second of their free time into a hockey match either on the ice or off. Both DH and my oldest son sometimes complain of their stomachs not feeling good after some intense exercise. To help with this DH doctor told him he needed plenty of fluids and to eat some potassium after he exercised. So when my son started complaining of the same thing after his hockey practices, I decided to find something they both will eat and enjoy.

I came up with the Oh You Nutty Monkey smoothie it is chocked full of all kinds of great things to help you rebound after a hard game or workout. Add a banana for the potassium. 1 cup Hazelnut milk because hazelnuts are an excellent source of vitamin E, dietary fiber, magnesium, heart healthy B vitamins, and they are one of the highest natural sources of antioxidants. Of course some peanut butter because of the protein. Did you know our bodies use amino acids found in protein to build and repair muscle tissue?

As if this drink is not healthy enough, lets add some Chia seeds. Yes I said chia seeds, they are not just for use on your favorite chia pet. Chia seeds are not only high in omega-fatty 3’s but also have antioxidants, fiber, protein and calcium. Another interesting fact about the chia seed is that they were an ancient super food used by the Mayans, Aztecs and Incas. In fact, Chia means "strength" in the language of the Mayans, and was considered running food because messengers could run all day with the help of these tiny seeds. For more information on chia check out this wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica

1 banana
    1 cup chocolate hazelnut milk
    1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
    1 tablespoon chia seed
    2 handfuls of ice cubes

Mix all of the above for some yummy goodness."

Yes, I use the brand called Running Food.
  • eeebee
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe and the blog article, that sounds really delicious!!

Though I dont know where to find hazlenut choc milk, I am sure I can sustitute with something else equally delicious.

I will give it a go without a doubt :flowerforyou:
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just bought these to add to protein bars but had no idea what they were or what to do with them otherwise. Thanks for the great suggestions! :)
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    I take these daily as well. Have been since Dec. At first I really didn't like them either but now I love them. I normally mix them in a 16 oz bottle of water and then add crystal lite to it. I have also tried them with scambled eggs. A little gross looking but tasted fine. I have also added them to stuffing and no one even noticed that I added them to that. : ) Oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies, apple sauce are other great ways of hiding them.
    I have heard that if you don't soak them before consuming them they can dehydrate you.