100 lbs to lose,In the beginning, What workouts did you do?

Options
I am not great with the exercise, either it hurts or im bored, or I make excuses to give up. Those of you who have lost 50+ lbs and feel better what did you do to motivate yourself? Did you wait until you lost some weight first? Do you still struggle with exercise? is it easier with a workout buddy or not?

Thanks alot.
Shawnda

Replies

• blissy_girl
    blissy_girl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One of my goals was to be able to run so I started the Couch to 5k (C25K) running program. It can take you from laying on the couch to running a 5k in 9 weeks. It has been taking me longer because I repeat a week until I feel good about where I am at and then move to the next week. Here is a link for the program

http://www.c25k.com/

There are also podcast and apps that can help you with it.
  • StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks Blissy, is that the only thing you do for exercise?
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I started walking in March of last year. I walked 3-4 days a week. Then I joined the gym in July and added 2 days of strength training to my walks. In August, I started the C25K program and completed it in 10 weeks (it's a 9 week program, but I did one week 2x). I ran my first 5K in November. Since August, I have worked out 5-6 times a week. 3 days of running, 3 days of strength and 2 days of bike and/or elliptical. I usually take 1 rest day and just recently added Jillian Michael's 30 day shred to my evenings (although I don't do it every night like you are supposed to, because I need a break). And I took up Salsa class.

It's a lot now, but I did it gradually and adding those things helped me stay motivated and not get bored!
  • blissy_girl
    blissy_girl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    it is not the only thing I do. I joined the Jillian Michaels website and I have the circuit training on her app for my ipod. Her website isn't cheap and the circuit training is a bit advanced but I like that it kicks my *kitten*. I can see that I am doing better when I can actually do ALL that she says to do (aka 20 mountian climbers). When I started I did about half of what she said and was dying by the end of it. I figure circuit training is something I want to do so why wait!

Feel free to add me as a friend! We can do this, and this site is about doing it together :).
  • StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Okay so basically do the things i like even if its only part of it. I was thinking about Zumba. And some weight trAining. I used to love weights. Thats where all the guys were lol. I gained so much weight the last 10 years and it hurts now. Made myself a promise this is the last year overweight and obese! Thanks for replying.
  • feb06momma
    Options
    I haven't lost 50 pounds YET, but I find mixing it up helps. Right now I rotate between treadmill/walking outdoors and the bike at the gym. I love music so I have my Ipod set to "Shuffle" and I just focus on enjoying the tunes while I'm sweating. :) I would like to start running and swimming as I get some of this weight off. Good luck!!!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I use billy blanks' resistance bands with all of my workouts. it's twice the benefit with half the time and you can feel the difference in days. You should consider it. I have to remind myself what I want to look like, what trouble I am creating for my heart by not doing it, and how much easier it is for my heart when I am consistant so it won't always be that hard. Do what you can, break to catch your breath, then go at it again...DO NOT GIVE UP!!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    At first, all I did was walk around the neighborhood because i was too heavy and out of shape for anything else; however, I think that the key is to find a kind of exercise you ENJOY - even if it doesn't give you the biggest calorie burn - until you have developed the habit of regular exercise (because you're less likely to find an excuse not to do something if you actually like it).
    Once you're in the habit, experiment with new things - you might be surprised by what you enjoy!
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I read recently that the exercise with the lowest drop-out rate is WALKING.

Walk at a good clip and before you know it you'll be breaking into short jogs.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I would start slow if you find most exercises too painful/tiring. Just going for a 10minute walk everyday will help. Eventually start adding more time, or upping the pace. Ease into it :) Also weight training I find is much more satisfying than cardio.
  • SandiBren
    SandiBren Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a couch potato who doesn't like to exercise. However, I am determined to lose some weight and get into better shape. Since I don't mind walking, I put the treadmill in the livingroom in front of the TV. Makes the time go faster!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Walking is always a good start. I know it can get boring, but put on some music and do it. I love riding my bike too. Home videos I love are using the exercise ball at home (the big stability ball)... you can exercise any part of your body with that, with or without weights. It's easy and fun. Just move every day.. no matter what it is... MOVE.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I lost most, and I mean almost all of it, on an elliptical machine. I added weight training a few months ago, and I'm now doing C25K and walking on a treadmill. Seriously, when you start out heavier the body works better for you. Start slowly and tack on time as you go.
  • Marcel7
    Marcel7 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Get the WiFit Plus for the Nintendo Wi. It will be the best investment you ever make. The WiFit Plus will allow you to start your workouts out slowly and build up. It is how my wife (AngelikaLumiere) and I have lost 100 lbs apiece.
  • sherryferg
    Options
    Wow! You are really dedicated. I have 100 lbs to lose and started water aerobics. After about a month i was experiencing plantar faciitis (severe heal pain from over stretching the bottom foot tendon.) It side-lined me for about two months until I went and got some arch support orthotics for $30 at a shoe shop. Pain gone in 3 weeks and back to the water. Hoping this works.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you and your wife Marcel, that's amazing!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I started with walking. Built up to faster, longer walks. Then added some aerobics, joined a gym and now there's no stopping me. Hang in there. You can do it :-)
  • adam4life
    Options
    I've answered similar questions to friends and family and people trying to start out before. When I started I solely worked out in a gym. It was like my 2nd home, I knew the front desk lady, the staff everyone. I started off slow with my running on a treadmill. I would do 0.1 miles running and 0.1 miles walking and alternating up to a mile. (I was 375lb). I would use that as my warm up and then hit up the weights. I used my resources at the gym and found one of the trainers and he pointed me in the right direction for the machine weights. I knew I could do these on my own, didn't need a spotter and could go at my own pace. The trainer showed me how to use each machine and I was on my own from there. So after my run/walk workout each day I would do the weights (either upper or lower body) then I would get on the exercise bike for about 10-15 miles. This was just starting off. It was hard work but I pushed through it. My intensity was on low for the bike and it was the perfect fat burn.

Moving on wards I kept upping my mileage little by little. So the next week I would try to run 0.2 miles running and 0.1 mile walking and so on until I could run the mile without walking. (This is just what worked for me) It was a fun little game every week at the gym to see how much I could run without walking. Once I hit 1 mile running without walking I would up the overall mileage to that of like 1.5 miles or 2 miles and see how much further I could get running and if not then just take my time and walk.

Now a days I am 130 lb lighter with a marathon behind me. I run only outside or on an indoor track and pretty much hate the treadmill. I am in the gym 3 times a week for weights still but that's it. I bike on my own road bike (hook it up to a trainer in the winter).

Listen to your body. This is what worked for me, really might be different for you. I was also in the gym 5 days of the week for like 2 hours. I normally took off Sunday and Thursday. Start off slow and increase over time.

- My whole experience at the time was that of coming from a couch potato to a very active athlete. I hadn't ran for exercise in my life and I went in strong willed. The big thing for me was not to get bored, that is why I mixed it up from the treadmill to the weight machines to the bike. I also swim now as well.

What kept me motivated was the scale. I didn't weigh myself every day. I weighed myself every week and took a picture. Each week sure enough was another few pounds off and a big smile on my face. It is hard work, but hard work pays off in the end. Just remember this is a life style change and it doesn't happen overnight but if you stick with it you will love the results.

Good Luck to you, let me know if you have any questions.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations on taking control and making the hardest decision, which was to get started on changing your life very positively. It looks like you are looking for motivation(s). In your new lifestyle, everything is exercise. It doesn't have to be in a gym and it doesn't have to be boring or any of those things. Simple household tasks if done quickly enough are tremendous exercise, and who doesn't have to clean, for example? Find out what your Base Metabolic Rate is, keep your calorie intake within a 10-20% distance of that, log enough (example 1000) activity (not just "boring exercise") calories in a day, and I guarantee that you will wonder where the weight went in a period of months (not years). Walk, walk and more walking is a really good place to start. Good luck.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    another vote for the C25K. I have run on and off over the years at various weights between 160-256lbs, its the one exercise where i actually feel like i have acheived something when i can run further / longer than the last time, and its one of the highest calorie burners! It is hard to start with, you will feel like you are going to die after 30 seconds, but keep at it and it DOES get easier, put your favorite songs on your ipod to stop you getting bored :)

If runnings not for you, try out different activities until you find the ones that you actually enjoy then it wont be a chore to work out! I absolutely hate rower, stepper and 'dance' type classes and would never go to gym if thats what i had to do. Ive tried all the different exercises, and i really like to do boxercise, spinning, running, kettlebells, weights and spinning. It doesnt have to be in the gym, go out hiking, cycling, whatever you think you might like, if you prefer to work out at home, the WiiFit or Jillian Michaels workouts are meant to be good :)

it does help having friends on here to motivate you, someone to say 'get your *kitten*' to the gym when i cant quite be bothered to work out really helps me, ive lost 25lbs since october, still got a long way to go though!!