Kids and exercize-weight lifting specifically

Options
My 5 and 6 year old daughters like watching my husband and I lift dumbbells. I have a set of 2 lb dumbbells that they always go for, but I'm not sure if it is a positive to teach them form, etc and just let them have at it and be glad they are getting interested at such a young age or if there is something about it that could harm their growth or something. I'm thinking 2 lbs shouldn't hurt-heck-they pick up 2 lb toys and such all the time. Should I just let them or is there some danger in this I'm not seeing?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    My 5 and 6 year old daughters like watching my husband and I lift dumbbells. I have a set of 2 lb dumbbells that they always go for, but I'm not sure if it is a positive to teach them form, etc and just let them have at it and be glad they are getting interested at such a young age or if there is something about it that could harm their growth or something. I'm thinking 2 lbs shouldn't hurt-heck-they pick up 2 lb toys and such all the time. Should I just let them or is there some danger in this I'm not seeing?

There's no danger in having them exercise. It might be better to start them with things like push-ups, chin-ups (get a bar if you can), leg-lifts.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    2lbs is fine. My brother and I played with my dad's weights and never got hurt. I think the danger comes in when they lift heavy or start messing with hormones or something. Don't let them have 50lb weights, but 2lbs is absolutely fine as long as they don't drop it on their feet.