WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????

Options
Ok, here's my dilema...I work out everyday, doing cardio, for an hour, I burn appox. 700 calories per excercise, thats interval running, giving 50% for 1:30sec, 70% for 1:30sec and 90% at 2min, then walk at decent pace for 2min repeat, not to mention plenty of walking throughout the day. I also do about 2 sets of My meals are pretty much the same on a daily. For B-fast ill have a fried egg, one piece of wheat toast with peanut butter and oatmeal with V8 Splash (8oz). Lunch consiste of grilled chicken sandwich on a bun, with 1/4 tsp of mayo, lettuce with either cheddar sun chips or french onion sun chips...if i dont have those ill sometimes eat about an ounce of fries, ill usually drink water or crystal light packet with lunch. Dinner is grilled chiken salad, with carrots and raisins and 1/2 package of french dressing...sometimes I just have a bowl of cereal (1.7-2.6 ounces) and skim milk..raisin bran crunch, total raisin bran,lucky charms, or fruit loops.

I've lost inches, I can definately tell, plenty of them, but I would like to see some pounds start to drop off...Are there any suggestions or can anyone tell If im not doing something correct?? Thank you much!!!

Replies

• SEST25
    SEST25 Posts: 18
    Options
    Ok, here's my dilema...I work out everyday, doing cardio, for an hour, I burn appox. 700 calories per excercise, thats interval running, giving 50% for 1:30sec, 70% for 1:30sec and 90% at 2min, then walk at decent pace for 2min repeat, not to mention plenty of walking throughout the day. I also do about 2 sets of My meals are pretty much the same on a daily. For B-fast ill have a fried egg, one piece of wheat toast with peanut butter and oatmeal with V8 Splash (8oz). Lunch consiste of grilled chicken sandwich on a bun, with 1/4 tsp of mayo, lettuce with either cheddar sun chips or french onion sun chips...if i dont have those ill sometimes eat about an ounce of fries, ill usually drink water or crystal light packet with lunch. Dinner is grilled chiken salad, with carrots and raisins and 1/2 package of french dressing...sometimes I just have a bowl of cereal (1.7-2.6 ounces) and skim milk..raisin bran crunch, total raisin bran,lucky charms, or fruit loops.

I've lost inches, I can definately tell, plenty of them, but I would like to see some pounds start to drop off...Are there any suggestions or can anyone tell If im not doing something correct?? Thank you much!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    are you tracking your sodium? what is it averaging per day?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dave because some of those options (chips, fries, salad dressings and those juices) can be really high in sodium, which causes water retention, which would make it appear as though you;re not losing weight when you are.

Also how many calories are you taking in? It doesn't really sound like you're eating all that much when you consider you're also burning 700 cals daily through exercise.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    The one thing that jumps out me is the V8 Splash. You have to be careful with these drinks that claim to be healthy and good for you. I'm not positive, but check out the ingredients on your V8 Splash. I have a feeling it reads: Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, etc... Even too much of 100% juice can add unnecessary calories. I would drink milk, OJ, or any other fruit juice in moderation. Take a multivitamin to supplement the nutrients.

Hope that info helps, be sure to read ingredients lists! The less ingredients, the better for you. Don't eat or drink anything where High Fructose Corn Syrup or Sugar are within the first 5 ingredients.
  • SEST25
    Options
    Umm im pretty sure that my intake is at least 1gram of sodium if that, but no more than that....I drink at least 5 bottles of water a day though, the 16oz bottles....
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I agree check your sodium levels and add a snack in morning and afternoon. It will seem like you are eating all the time but it has really helped me to lose. Good luck
  • Fatbridesmaid18
    Options
    one of the reasons you may be losing inches and not pounds is because you are gaining muscle. Muscle has weight to it, so as you build it, you don't lose those pounds. If you feel like your muscles are too bulky, try toning them. Do less weight, more repetitions. Then you'll get them slim look, without bulky muscles.
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When you say you're burning 700 calories, is that number coming from the machines you're on? Or from a HRM? The calories burned on machines are wrong for most people. You could be burning less than you think you are.

Also, I would ditch the fries, chips, and V8 Splash. Sodium, sodium, sodium = Water Retention. Add more fruits and veggies. How many calories are you taking in every day? You might not be eating enough, and enough of the right stuff, to see weight loss if you body is in starvation mode.

Good luck!
  • SEST25
    Options
    I agree with Dave because some of those options (chips, fries, salad dressings and those juices) can be really high in sodium, which causes water retention, which would make it appear as though you;re not losing weight when you are.

Also how many calories are you taking in? It doesn't really sound like you're eating all that much when you consider you're also burning 700 cals daily through exercise.
    Well I only have 8oz of the V8 in a day it has 5mg. MFP says to take in 1200 per day, I just recently read that its best to at least eat your BMR which is 1276...so Im not really sure which road to take...
  • exercisegirl06
    Options
    I understand how you are feeling. Losing inches is good. If you are gaining muscle your pounds may not change much. It seems like you aren't eating enough. I'm at the same place you are and a trainer I spoke with told me 1200 calories is not enough becuase of the way I work out.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    1200 cals a day is all fine and good when you've got a ton of weight to lose and an inability to be REALLY active because of it. But you are burning a LOT through exercise, you need to be eating those calories or at least most of them, but throughout the day. 1200 cals is not enough to fuel your body and promote health when you are using 700 of them straightaway with exercise.
  • SEST25
    Options
    When you say you're burning 700 calories, is that number coming from the machines you're on? Or from a HRM? The calories burned on machines are wrong for most people. You could be burning less than you think you are.

Also, I would ditch the fries, chips, and V8 Splash. Sodium, sodium, sodium = Water Retention. Add more fruits and veggies. How many calories are you taking in every day? You might not be eating enough, and enough of the right stuff, to see weight loss if you body is in starvation mode.

Good luck!
    You're right, I just looked at the label and its WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE AND CORN SYRUP....DAMMIT, WELL THE SUN CHIPS I JUST STARTED 2 DAYS AGO. I EAT MORE THAT WHAT WAS MENTIONED AS FAR A FUIT, PINEAPPLES, PLUMS AND GRAPES, I JUST GAVE A QUICK GENERAL VIEW...THE CALORIES ARE COMING FROM THE MACHINE......HOWEVER IM SWEATING UP A STORM EVEN IF THE CALORIES ARE OFF, AFTER EACH AND EVERYWORK OUT...IVE NEVER HAD THIS ISSUE BEFORE OF LOSING WEIGHT..LAST YEAR AROUNG THIS TIME I SHED 22 LBS EASILY..SO IM JUST GETTING A LITTLE FRUSTRATED
  • markei1
    markei1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't even claim to be an expert, but it may be that you aren't eating enough calories considering the amount of calories that you are burning during your activity. A personal trainer once told me that you have to eat in order to lose weight because your body is like a furnace and food is like throwing logs in a fireplace which makes your fire grow (in this case your metabolism) so just make sure you're eating enough and that you have some sort of fat in your diet too. Good luck. You are a trooper with the exercise and your aspirations of having a healthy pregnancy will come true in no time. Congrats in advance.
  • SEST25
    Options
    1200 cals a day is all fine and good when you've got a ton of weight to lose and an inability to be REALLY active because of it. But you are burning a LOT through exercise, you need to be eating those calories or at least most of them, but throughout the day. 1200 cals is not enough to fuel your body and promote health when you are using 700 of them straightaway with exercise.
    SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED THAT TO ME AS WELL....THAT I SHOULD BE EATING MOST OF MY EXCERCISE CALORIES, THE T-MILL SAYS I BURN 700+, AND I ASSUME THAT IT IS ACCURATE BECAUSE I WORKUP A SWEAT EVERYDAY....SO MAYBE ILL TRY THIS WEEK EATING MY EXCERCISE CALORIES AND SEE HOW THAT GOES...
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I don't even claim to be an expert, but it may be that you aren't eating enough calories considering the amount of calories that you are burning during your activity. A personal trainer once told me that you have to eat in order to lose weight because your body is like a furnace and food is like throwing logs in a fireplace which makes your fire grow (in this case your metabolism) so just make sure you're eating enough and that you have some sort of fat in your diet too. Good luck. You are a trooper with the exercise and your aspirations of having a healthy pregnancy will come true in no time. Congrats in advance.

I just wanted to say how much I love this site. Sorry to do it on this message board where SEST25 is asking for advice, but the comments that I find like the one above just make me smile. Everyone is so nice here and encouraging, it's great!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Kerri's right hon.

you have 14 lbs to lose? YOu need to be well above your BMR, IMHO your deficit should be about 250 cals to 350 cals a day most likely (I'm talking NET calories, after you add in exercise). I don't know what your bmi is, or your Body Fat %, or any of your other numbers, so I can't speculate on what your calories should be, but unless you're really short, I'll bet my house that 1200 cals is below your BMR.

As to the food you're eating, you're taking in a ton of sugar there, those cereals you mention are STACKED full of sugar, add in that Splash, and you're probably well over 35 g per day, probably closer to 40. That's not good.

I would try to go with some vegis instead of the V8, or low sodium regular V8.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

As to the food you're eating, you're taking in a ton of sugar there, those cereals you mention are STACKED full of sugar, add in that Splash, and you're probably well over 35 g per day, probably closer to 40. That's not good.

Try some healthy low sugar, corn syrup free cereals, I like Kashi GoLean and nature's path smart bran. I wish I could work out everyday like you do!! Keep it up!
  • bevjack1
    bevjack1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat the 700 calories, but make sure they're the "right" calories and not the sugar/fat/sodium kind.
    It's easy to eat 700 calories in cookies, but you won't lose any weight!

Good luck. Wish I had your exercise gene. Sigh.
  • SEST25
    Options
    Kerri's right hon.

you have 14 lbs to lose? YOu need to be well above your BMR, IMHO your deficit should be about 250 cals to 350 cals a day most likely (I'm talking NET calories, after you add in exercise). I don't know what your bmi is, or your Body Fat %, or any of your other numbers, so I can't speculate on what your calories should be, but unless you're really short, I'll bet my house that 1200 cals is below your BMR.

I would try to go with some vegis instead of the V8, or low sodium regular V8.
    OK MY BMI IS 23% MY BMR IS 1276...I DONT EAT CEREAL EVERDAY..OUT 0F 7 DAYS I MAY EAT CEREAL 3 DAYS, MAYBE
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Everyone else had great suggestions. I'd start eating healthier foods and really start eating at least 50-75% of those excersize calories. I bet if you start doing that the pounds will start coming off.