Running injury help...

Options
So when I run often, the inside of my shin (closest to my ankle) really hurts. It actually bruises when I run too much. It has been for two years on and off, I just never knew it was a bruise I thought I just had a permanent mark of some kind on my leg :blushing:

Anyway, I've bought inserts, new shoes, and went to the doctor for an xray to make sure nothing was fractured. Medically speaking it's fine. I think it's the way I run and put pressure on my foot. It's not like I'm running marathons, probably around 4 of 5 miles everytime I go out for a run. I don't know how to help it though, sometimes it hurts so much I can't workout for a day or two. Does anyone know any good stretches for that area? Any help would be awesome!! :glasses:

Keep running!!

Replies

• star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    So when I run often, the inside of my shin (closest to my ankle) really hurts. It actually bruises when I run too much. It has been for two years on and off, I just never knew it was a bruise I thought I just had a permanent mark of some kind on my leg :blushing:

Anyway, I've bought inserts, new shoes, and went to the doctor for an xray to make sure nothing was fractured. Medically speaking it's fine. I think it's the way I run and put pressure on my foot. It's not like I'm running marathons, probably around 4 of 5 miles everytime I go out for a run. I don't know how to help it though, sometimes it hurts so much I can't workout for a day or two. Does anyone know any good stretches for that area? Any help would be awesome!! :glasses:

Keep running!!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I just acquired the same injury although I don't get the bruising. I talked to the guy who owns the local running company this morning because he happened to be talking to our bootcamp group. I also buy my shoes from him.

I went from a cushioned shoe with no stability to a shoe with stability back to just a cushioned shoe with no stability. Since running in my new shoes I have had intense pain running from my achilles tendon up the inside front of my leg. I have never had that pain before. The longest I have run in these shoes is 6 miles. He said if my shin pain shift from the top of my shin to the inside shin I would need to go back to the shoe with the stability.

Maybe your shoes just don't have enought stability and you should go with more and see if that helps your shin splints.
  • ronmon82
    ronmon82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints all of the time, since then i hardly do. i run 2-6 miles 4-6 times a week. i started stretching my calf and ankle with a towel. i also make sure i get the right shoes. you might have to see a dr to make sure you are getting the right shoes. there are how to run guide out there that helped me realize that i was over exurting my self and causing myself pain. try watching a how to video. you might pick up some good pointers
  • rohdesl
    rohdesl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When you bought your shoes, did you go somewhere they tested to see how you ran? If not, I would try that or just get on a treadmill and run slow. Pay attention if you run on the inside of your feet (overpronation), your full foot, or on the outside (underpronation). I run on the inside of my feet and got shoes that have an extra lift there so that it forces me to run on my full foot. I used to get a lot more shin pain but I don't get shin pain anymore. I don't know of any stretches for that area specifically but maybe that would help.