peanut butter dilema

Options
I went to Kroger's last night and looked in the organic section for peanut butter. I found some called Better'nPeanutButter. It's low sodium, 85%less fat and 40% less calories than regular peanut butter. 2 Tbsp. has only 100 calories. That's almost half of regular peanut butter! It's a little different consistancy than regular and maybe a little sweeter but who cares! There was only one left on the shelf and it was a clearance price...hope it's not getting discontinued:(

Replies

• daisylou
    daisylou Posts: 118
    Options
    I went to Kroger's last night and looked in the organic section for peanut butter. I found some called Better'nPeanutButter. It's low sodium, 85%less fat and 40% less calories than regular peanut butter. 2 Tbsp. has only 100 calories. That's almost half of regular peanut butter! It's a little different consistancy than regular and maybe a little sweeter but who cares! There was only one left on the shelf and it was a clearance price...hope it's not getting discontinued:(
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    nice! you can buy it online at walgreens if you cant find it anywhere else :)
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Can you tell me what's in this stuff? I'm very curious as to how they cut the calories and fat so much.

Thanks - Diana
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

check the added sugar amount though
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, wow. I don't have a Krogers. I'm gonna have to look this stuff up. I love PB...but hate all the calories!!!
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love BTPB! It *is* definitely a different texture than regular PB, but it's been worth it to me. I don't think it is being discontinued. Maybe your Kroger's won't be carrying it anymore or they were trying to get rid of what they had before a new shipment? I would contact the manager and ask him to keep that product in stock.

They also have a chocolate flavor BTPB - too sweet for me, but I have friends who love it.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    The sugar's not bad at all:

Regular Creamy Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 tbsp (32.0 g)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 100Calories from Fat 18
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.0g3%
    Sodium 190mg8%
    Total Carbohydrates 13.0g4%
    Sugars 2.0g
    Protein 4.0g
    Fiber2.0g

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 8%
    Calcium 4% • Iron 2%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
    Low Sodium Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 tbsp (32.0 g)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 100Calories from Fat 22
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2g4%
    Sodium 95mg4%
    Total Carbohydrates 13.0g4%
    Sugars 2.0g
    Protein 4.0g
    Fiber2.0g

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 8%
    Calcium 4% • Iron 2%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Oh, Trader Joe's has it. I'm gonna try it tonight! Seriously!
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The nutritional info and ingredients are here: http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/nutrition.html

They use no refined sugars, which is noce, although the amount of sugar used is the same as in traditional peanut butter. They have a store locater on their site as well.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Ingredients: PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS).

not bad but does have alot of added stuff
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Never tried it... never even seen it... but when something says "better than..." it makes me think... huh, it's not actually peanut butter, so I wonder what it IS. Check the ingredient list. PB is high in calories but they are good healthy calories. A lot of the time when they lower calories in foods like this they're replacing natural, wholesome (albeit high cal) ingredients with fake, chemical ones. So ya... read up on it before you run out to buy it.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it, although I'm not a big PB fan. I bought a jar of it and threw it away, don't care for the taste or texture.
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    Peanut butter has good fats in it. It's is not bad for you. I buy natural PB and love it...so much better the regular.
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm a little worried about wha the texture might be like. Can anyone actually describe it?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are a wonderful source of good fat and protein. I wouldn't replace the with something that has a laundry list of ingredients. I would just make sure I had the room for it in my daily calories. Peanut butter should have an ingredient list of 2 things peanuts and salt. If you have anything else in them, then it's probably hydrogenated vegtable oil (bad) for preservative qualities. IMHO sticking with natural peanut butter is far better then that other stuff.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Ingredients: PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS).

not bad but does have alot of added stuff

Yep... I'll stick with my Skippy Natural, thank you very much.

Ingredients: roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil, salt
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are a wonderful source of good fat and protein. I wouldn't replace the with something that has a laundry list of ingredients. I would just make sure I had the room for it in my daily calories. Peanut butter should have an ingredient list of 2 things peanuts and salt. If you have anything else in them, then it's probably hydrogenated vegtable oil (bad) for preservative qualities. IMHO sticking with natural peanut butter is far better then that other stuff.

I second that............ever look at the side of the lower fat PB...sheeeezzzzz