Strength Training without the Gym

Options
So, I've been reading a lot lately about the benefits of strength training and lifting for women. I've also seen some people's results, which are awesome and it's made me want to get into this myself. I've looked at some workout routines online, but the majority of them require gym equipment, which I really don't have access to. I don't have the money to get a gym membership and the gym at my school is very small and the limited number of machines they have are always occupied when I go. I'm also only there a few days a week and like to attend their fitness classes when I do go.

I DO have a lot of free weights at home ranging from 1lb to 25lbs. I also have the P90x workouts, so I can do those from time to time, but I was looking for something that I can kind of do at my own pace and don't really know where to start.

Any suggestions, like workouts you've done yourself or found elsewhere, are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DaveBuck21
    Options
    Hey Sara,

There is no limit to the amount of exercises you can do at home, especially with free weights.

Here are a couple suggestions:

pushups, over head presses, shoulder side raises, shoulder front raises, tricep kicks, squats, bicep curls, lunges, bent over rows.

i would suggest you go to the library and find a weight lifting book. That will give you ideas and you can build upon the things you see.

Good luck. Dave
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump! been wondering about this too
  • jason_moore
    Options
    Google "bodyweight exercises" and you'll find more info than you could ever use.

Here is the first thing that came up for me: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/at-home-workouts-0
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input! I'll definitely look into your suggestions.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

I've been browsing this site since it was kindly recommended to me - I can't rate this high enough for being flexible for you to look at what you like / don't like for each muscle group and also the video links to show you how to do the exercises. I've made up my own routine for dumbbells in the last couple of days so I'm sure you'll do well with this.
  • thickmomma0519
    Options
    I personally enjoy the kettle bell. If you don't know what that is, look into it. I bought a video made by Jillian Michaels where she uses a kettle bell to tone muscle. It doesn't have to be heavy, it actually works better if it's a light weight because a few minutes into this workout trying to be a hulk-a-rina will have you wore out. When trying to lose weight I definitely suggest building a little muscle tone. It sends your metabolism into OVERDRIVE. Don't worry about bulking up either. As long as you don't go overboard, you should have nice lean muscles.:bigsmile:
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I've been browsing this site since it was kindly recommended to me - I can't rate this high enough for being flexible for you to look at what you like / don't like for each muscle group and also the video links to show you how to do the exercises. I've made up my own routine for dumbbells in the last couple of days so I'm sure you'll do well with this.

I've been looking at this too and I agree, it does look great. Being able to select workouts based on the resources I have at home really helps.

I usually do workouts with weights (done plenty of Jillian Michaels workouts and did 2 months of P90x last year), so I'm not entirely new to strength training. But I guess I'm just sick of using 5-10 pound weights and want to challenge my body further. Plus, seeing all the success other women on here have had with strength training is really encouraging. I have some tone in my arms and legs but I know if I push further, my body will start to change and I'll look even more toned.

Again, thanks everyone for all the suggestions.