Dating and Dieting

Options
Do you think who you date/or who you are with effects your weight?

I keep seeing these threads of "unsupportive" S/O's and it makes me sad. I'd want to be with someone who wants me to be the best I can be me.

Also, I know there is that "rumor" of when you are with someone you add on pounds because you are "comfortable".

I don't get it. Someone care to explain?

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It's called the "Boyfriend/Girlfriend Layer".

It develops during the time you're so blissfully happy, you'd rather spend time cuddling on the couch eating popcorn watching a movie than hitting the gym for your second workout of the day. It's the not wanting to be the "stick in the mud" when he suggests going to that awesome Italian place that serves the to-die-for-Alfredo sauce that also subsequently, has 2500 calories per serving.

It's just a change in your routine. Happened to me and I'm rather health-oriented. I think it takes a really strong person to not let someone new entering your life alter ANY aspect of it when it comes to health/fitness. Then after awhile the novelty of it wears off and you sort of return to your equilibrium :)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I got comfortable with my ex meaning he wanted to go out to eat so I'd go... I had no will power of my own to say no or to resist. Plus, I wanted to be around him and the food was damn good.
    To me, when I look back, it means I didn't value my health nor my body. That has changed. When I start dating someone new, I'm sure we'll go out to eat and drink etc but I value health now. I can splurge but make sure I stay on track.

I refuse to blame my ex or his lack of support (by eating out or bringing take out home) for my lack of boundaries in that area. I WANTED to eat so I ate.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I met my ex husband, I was very thin, effortlessly. But I started adopting his eating habits. If we ordered Chinese food, he'd snarf from my box first, cuz he knew I didn't like what he ordered for himself. I found myself eating faster, and more of it, just to get "my fair share". Portions increased, the amount of meat at each meal exploded, etc.

I don't blame him for the weight gain (I put on about 15 while with him, but it wasn't a problem), but his presence in my life led to some pretty unhealthy habits that I have had to break.
  • MellisaCruz
    Options
    My fiance is very supportive of my losing weight and workingout. It actually got him to propose. All those hot, fit men at the gym, it was too much for him to think about me being there with no "Im Taken" sign. So he put a ring on it. He is not into working out AT ALL, but he knows thats my thing and he doesnt get in the way.

I think alot of the posters have deeper issues with their SO than just the unsupportiveness.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I blame my relationship with my daughter. She force fed me goldfish and fruit......
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options

It develops during the time you're so blissfully happy, you'd rather spend time cuddling on the couch eating popcorn watching a movie than hitting the gym for your second workout of the day. It's the not wanting to be the "stick in the mud" when he suggests going to that awesome Italian place that serves the to-die-for-Alfredo sauce that also subsequently, has 2500 calories per serving.

It's just a change in your routine. Happened to me and I'm rather health-oriented. I think it takes a really strong person to not let someone new entering your life alter ANY aspect of it when it comes to health/fitness. Then after awhile the novelty of it wears off and you sort of return to your equilibrium :)

Well said!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options

OMG, there is a term for it. Very suitable by the way. :laugh:
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I would have to say NO....I won't point the blame on prior relationships because I know it's the individual mindset In my old relationsihp I wanted to eat anything and everything just like them. It was until my mind was made up that I wanted to change and regardless what my partner was eating I now can say I chose healthier(sometimes)lol...It's not by force of who I am dating..it is all me...

***I do think the positive side of it is that by living a healthier lifestyle it will sometimes motivate your significant other...
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Luckily I was not the one in the relationship to gain that layer. My husband put on at least 20lbs since we met, it really does come from just ordering a couple steak and cheese subs and fries and watching a movie. And the fact that I am such a great cook :) I am lucky to be with someone who is supportive and happy that I am doing well with my own weight loss. I try to be supportive as well but can't force him to get on track. Even if you are with someone who is not "supportive" it may not be a make or break situation (as long as they are not negative about your health goals). If you can keep your own motivation and know that ultimately you re the one deciding to take care of yourself.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I became 50ish pounds overweight when I was in a relationship. Now that I am not I am half way back down to my goal. I think the support matters. But regardless, whenever I do start dating again, I vowed I'll never gained weight like that again while I'm in a relationship no matter what.

:)
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The first 4 - 5 months of exercising was really tough for my relationship. I was criticized and called "obsessed" for wanting to watch what I eat and was called obsessed for going to the gym 4 - 5 days a week. When you're in a relationship for so long and then all of a sudden, there's a change in the relationship.. I think it takes time to adjust and it's up to the other person who's not changing to either hate it, support it, or change their lifestyle as well. Unfortunately, we had a hard time being on the same page but NOW, she' puts up with it. I think she hate that it takes away from "OUR" time. However, we're always together, so I don't think an hour after work should kill her. I do not want to give up my new lifestyle..so if it's a problem in the future.. We may have to question our relationship.. Things are better now.