Not eating enough

Options
I know that sounds like why would I be so heavy if this was my problem, but I am finding that it is. I am a stay at home mom and I do housework throughout the day and I find it very easy to stay in my calorie range when I am eating at home, and when I workout it adds 700-1000 more calories a day and I really don't know what to eat. We have our dinner around 5/5:15 and I sometimes don't have enough calories in without adding the workout calories. I do not know what to eat to make sure I get enough calories (obviously I could grab a bag of chips or candy bar, but that would be empty calories). I sometimes just make it up with some peanut butter, but I will often eat nothing versus something bad and that is not good either. I guess not knowing the right foods to eat put me at this weight and I don't know what foods to eat to get me away from this weight. I know a lot of answers are going to say veggie and fruits, but the only fruits I like are strawberries and bananas and the only veggies are green bean, corn, and peas. However, I can pretty much put anything down if I put it in a smoothie :) Any suggestions?

Replies

• tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some whole grains (rice, chips, crackers, bread, tortilla or cereal). I have a hard time not going over my calories, but I choose a lot of whole grains. Last night was whole grain rice with baked fish and a baked potato. Today I had whole grain cereal... it definately has the calories, but they aren't "empty"
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I know that sounds like why would I be so heavy if this was my problem, but I am finding that it is. I am a stay at home mom and I do housework throughout the day and I find it very easy to stay in my calorie range when I am eating at home, and when I workout it adds 700-1000 more calories a day and I really don't know what to eat. We have our dinner around 5/5:15 and I sometimes don't have enough calories in without adding the workout calories. I do not know what to eat to make sure I get enough calories (obviously I could grab a bag of chips or candy bar, but that would be empty calories). I sometimes just make it up with some peanut butter, but I will often eat nothing versus something bad and that is not good either. I guess not knowing the right foods to eat put me at this weight and I don't know what foods to eat to get me away from this weight. I know a lot of answers are going to say veggie and fruits, but the only fruits I like are strawberries and bananas and the only veggies are green bean, corn, and peas. However, I can pretty much put anything down if I put it in a smoothie :) Any suggestions?
    Can't quite understand what you are saying but you should be eating your workout calories - add your allowed calories and workout calories together and this is your daily allowance.
  • Smansfield1
    Smansfield1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    are you counting/adding workout calories from things like cleaning & grocery shopping? If so this might be part of the problem (to me at least). These are daily/weekly things you did before and are part of your normal everyday life. I would only add in actual working out calories. Also, if you know you are going to workout that day start your morning off with a good big breakfast or a protien smoothie. Things like almonds and avacodos are high calories and good fats for you. Hope this helps :smile:
  • abookreader2
    abookreader2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I just worked out and had to move it to the late evening and now I have earned almost 1000 calories. So do I go eat a bunch of random food? I guess I am always to nervous to eat the big breakfasts and meals in the chance that I can't find a sitter and can't go. I will try the smoothie breakfast. That sounds good :)