About Zumba

Options
So I have been taking these Zumba classes at my Gym for about 6 weeks twice per week. I still don't get the moves. I am not worried so much about coordination - I still go left when they go right and vice versa, I am just curious how long did it take you to master the moves especially synchronizing the arm, the hip and the leg moves? Do the online videos help? How did you all learn? I do keep moving throughout the class but just not the way either the instructor or the rest of them are doing.

P.S. Just found out one of my co-worker whose style I admire has been doing this for 6 years and she is not perfect but does the right moves. Yikes! I thought she must have been doing this for about a year or so.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Zumba is pretty much the only cardio I do... Personally, I just move... I have been doing Zumba for over a year off and on (due to pregnancy and new mom syndrome)... Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. In my experience the video games help and just practice. As long as you are having fun and moving, it doesn't really matter... just keep moving... ;-)
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was wondering if those Wii games helped. I definitely enjoy it and even break a sweat but just can't believe that in one hour I burn 600 calories like MFP says.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    At first it was all I could do just to follow the feet to get those right. I wasn't coordinated enough to do all the arm movements. It also helped me to stand in the back and watch the feet of the people in front of me. After I started remembering the foot movements then I could concentrate on thinking about adding in the arms. Whenever they introduced a new song/routine in class that is how it would go, I would need to concentrate hard on the feet first and then eventually I would start getting in more of the arms.

That is what worked for me anyway.
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OMG That is exactly what I do. I stand behind others and follow their feet. But when I move I feel like I am doing aerobics, but when they move they look like dancers. I am like the worst contestant on DWTS. Stiff and un coordinated.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Haha... You'll get it. I still can't get the hip action very well... mostly because I am so shortwaisted and I have an innertube around it at the moment... so when I'm sitting in the car listening to the style of music my instructor plays, I will move my hips while I'm driving.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Some of the routines I know really well, others have some moves I can't coordinate no matter how hard I focus. But I just keep moving to the music and have fun. It's a great workout and I know the other ladies in the class have their own awkward moves as well.:laugh: