Lifting Heavy question

Options
This has more than likely been asked before and answered before on MFP.

But im going to ask it because ive read loads and still dont feel 100% sure.

So, im lifting, pretty heavy i think (started a week ago)

im still learning the various techy terms and names of different stuff, but essentially i have some queries about the way it feels rather than form etc.

For example, ive been doing kettlebell swings with an 8kg kettlebell, the first time i did this, i did 10 reps, the last 2 being very very hard to do, i was shaking. The 2 days after this the gracilis muscle (think thats the right one) was very sore, however i did the same reps yesterday, struggled the same and today i cant tell ive done it.

essentially, does this mean i needed to increase the reps/sets? is the soreness for a couple of days a sign youve forced build or not?

how heavy SHOULD i go? im not sure how hard it should be and if soreness afterwards is a good indicator of whether i am pushing myself to the right level, if it is, i need to go heavier i think tomorrow.

any advice, links, articles experience is welcome!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    This has more than likely been asked before and answered before on MFP.

But im going to ask it because ive read loads and still dont feel 100% sure.

So, im lifting, pretty heavy i think (started a week ago)

im still learning the various techy terms and names of different stuff, but essentially i have some queries about the way it feels rather than form etc.

For example, ive been doing kettlebell swings with an 8kg kettlebell, the first time i did this, i did 10 reps, the last 2 being very very hard to do, i was shaking. The 2 days after this the gracilis muscle (think thats the right one) was very sore, however i did the same reps yesterday, struggled the same and today i cant tell ive done it.

essentially, does this mean i needed to increase the reps/sets? is the soreness for a couple of days a sign youve forced build or not?

how heavy SHOULD i go? im not sure how hard it should be and if soreness afterwards is a good indicator of whether i am pushing myself to the right level, if it is, i need to go heavier i think tomorrow.

any advice, links, articles experience is welcome!

What's your goal with the Kettleball swings, strength or conditioning? How many sets are you doing?
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings i did one, but bicep curls to above head with an 8kg vpr tube im doing 3 x10 rep, pec dec machine, 2 x 10 etc etc

it kinda varies dependant on the machine/position?

i think i might be stronger than i think i am.... ?

*you edited as i posted lol

goal is strength, conditioning, weight loss, and ultimately sculpting my inner slim girl!
  • JNick77
    Options
    Kettlebell swings i did one, but bicep curls to above head with an 8kg vpr tube im doing 3 x10 rep, pec dec machine, 2 x 10 etc etc

it kinda varies dependant on the machine/position?

i think i might be stronger than i think i am.... ?

*you edited as i posted lol

goal is strength, conditioning, weight loss, and ultimately sculpting my inner slim girl!

For the Kettlebell Swings you can do kind of a strength complex focusing on Strength and Conditioning. Do you have a medicine ball by chance? This could be really cool.

A. Kettleball Swings (heavier KB - strength / power focus) 4 sets of 5 to 7 reps shoot for a solid 7 reps on all sets before progressing
    B. Kettleball Swings (8kg KB - conditioning / endurance) 4 sets 8 to 10 reps. After you can do 10 reps on all sets progress the reps to 12 reps, then 15 reps and then start over at 10 reps with a heavier KB.
    C. Medicine Ball Slams 4 sets of 10

Edit: In a complex you do exercise A, B, C then repeat 4 times, kind of a circuit.

I noticed you said Pec Dec machine, do you have a gym membership?

Curls above your head? Standing Curl and you curl it over your head?
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    yeh i go to Virgin active so can use medicine balls there... im not sure what slams are haha

so the bicep thing, its using Vipr tubes, it weighs 8kgs and looks like this

Viprmisc.jpg

i hold it in front me, legs shoulder width apart, curl up, then raise above my head and back down in a controlled motion...

im having to be careful with my knees as they are slightly weak from being heavy
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    bump! shameless and hopefully effective....!
  • JNick77
    Options
    yeh i go to Virgin active so can use medicine balls there... im not sure what slams are haha

so the bicep thing, its using Vipr tubes, it weighs 8kgs and looks like this

Viprmisc.jpg

i hold it in front me, legs shoulder width apart, curl up, then raise above my head and back down in a controlled motion...

im having to be careful with my knees as they are slightly weak from being heavy

Oh cool. You should also do shoulder presses with that then. :)

Medicine Ball Slams: With both hands hold a medicine ball over your head. Stand shoulder width apart. Using your lats and and upper back slam the ball forward into the ground as hard as you can while staying controlled. Pick it up and do it again for 10 reps. :)
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    thankyou on the slams! that makes sense!

i did some shoulder presses with the vipr tube today, and upped the bcep curl to the 10kg tube...

i also did leg presses and pushed myself to 110lbs.... im feeling it now! :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not a very good indication of difficulty or intensity. I generally only get sore if I try a new move, or increase my weight.
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    at the minute im pushing my weights up... as i wasnt feeling anything from the ones i was using, hence the soreness when i increase?

is that not correct?
  • JNick77
    Options
    at the minute im pushing my weights up... as i wasnt feeling anything from the ones i was using, hence the soreness when i increase?

is that not correct?

Lack of soreness isn't a sign of lack of progress. Lack of progression in strength is a sign of lack of progress. Don't worry about not being sore.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not a very good indication of difficulty or intensity.

This.

As far as how heavy: Lift as heavy as you can without compromising form. You should barely be able to complete the prescribed reps of your final set.