Metallic taste?

Options
I started dieting 3 weeks ago and am sticking to it religiously but over the last 3 days I have had a metallic taste in my mouth ??

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what that means but I know its one of the symptoms web MD's symptom checker asks...maybe check that out...and schedule a docs appointment if necessary. I'm sure that's not a good thing.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You might be starting to come down with something. Take some zinc supplements to boost your immune system.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    you drinking sparkling water? If not pregnant?
  • kschudy
    Options
    I'm not sure what your food plan is, but this could happen from a very low carb diet...
  • Capone1971
    Capone1971 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    On a low carb diet, the metallic taste in your mouth is from ketosis (according to the books). The advice given in the books is to drink 1.5 to 2 litres of water a day which will reduce the taste and to eat gum so your breath doesn't smell.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind but I had a look at your diary. Your calories have been quite low recently (most days under 1000) and I think you should try raising this - even a handful of nuts or something. Low calories and low carb diets can cause ketosis, which is elevated ketone in your body. The first symptom of it can often be a metallic taste and will later cause very, very bad breath - baring a close resemblance to nail polish remover.

Up your calories, best bet would be to add carbs.
  • hollycholland
    Options
    You may be detoxing metals from your system...How much weight have you lost? It could be stored in your fat cells.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    On a low carb diet, the metallic taste in your mouth is from ketosis (according to the books). The advice given in the books is to drink 1.5 to 2 litres of water a day which will reduce the taste and to eat gum so your breath doesn't smell.

She's eating too many carbs to be in ketosis
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ketosis?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to check the diary!

Yes, carbs isn't an issue, so its not ketosis. But the protein levels are on the low side - might be something there?
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know that if I don't eat enough/go too long without eating, I get acid reflux flareups (aka heartburn) and it can often taste metallic. Especially in the morning. It's not painful usually, just a little acid in the throat, just enough to be annoying and taste weird. Google "acid reflux metallic taste".
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Last time I had this taste in my mouth, it was a side effect of some medication I was taking.