Calorimeter

Options
Hi everyone,

I just ordered a heart rate monitor/calorimeter that straps on your arm. I was wondering if anyone else has used a calorimeter before and if so, are they pretty accurate? I usually just go off of what the machines at the gym say, but I started p90x this week and have NO IDEA how many calories I'm burning when I'm doing the workouts.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!

Replies

• Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I just ordered a heart rate monitor/calorimeter that straps on your arm. I was wondering if anyone else has used a calorimeter before and if so, are they pretty accurate? I usually just go off of what the machines at the gym say, but I started p90x this week and have NO IDEA how many calories I'm burning when I'm doing the workouts.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!
  • shopie
    shopie Posts: 39
    Options
    yea i was in the same boat. yesterday went to walmart and bought a cheap one about $30 and used it today. i am also doing p90x. I am on phase two and loving it. I did biceps, back, and abs today and burnt 500 calories. Than is a lot more than i thought i was burning. I thought i was burning that on cardio days. I am probably burning more like 800-1000 on cardio. I will let you know tomorrow.
  • Philde04
    Options
    Wow.... that's alot more than I thought too. I did shoulders, arms, & abs last night and I'm really loving the p90x so far... today is only my 4th day, but it's good so far!!! I do cardio everyday for about 30-45 mins. I did 30 mins on the elliptical today and the machine said that I burned 300 cals, does that sound way off to you?? - my distance was 2.5 miles. Thanks for the feedback!!
  • shopie
    shopie Posts: 39
    Options
    that sound about right to me. 300 calories in 30 min. On the weight training today i was averaging less than 100 every 10 min. My heart rate was around 115 to 130. It really depends on your heart rate. If you were working hard and your heart rate was in the 150 ti 160 range i would say that would be low. My calorimeter asked my weight. That is also a big factor too. I love this p90x stuff too. I am almost addicted i think. LOL
  • Philde04
    Options
    Yeah.... I'm thinking it was low b/c my heart rate was up in the 150's to 160 the whole time and I'm 191 lbs..... I guess I'll just have to wait until my HRM comes and find out for sure!!! Thanks for your help!! And good luck with p90x!!!