Darn you water....maybe. (Maybe TMI)

Options
lucyford22
lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
So I'm in school to work in the health care field as a laboratory scientist. I had to submit a sample for urinalysis to pass a drug test to continue my program. Well. I drink a lot of water. My sample was rather clear. Turns out, "dilution" is a popular method to cheat a drug test. I'm somewhat worried as dilution is considered an automatic fail. Uuugh. Anyone else go through something like this??

Replies

• carrotstick2012
    Options
    I guess if they have concerns they will allow you to do it again. Or maybe you can offer to have a blood test?
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Do they allow you to do it again? I thought it was an automatic fail? I would totally do it again without drinking any water beforehand.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've done that before and it's not been an issue. I can't imagine "dilution" really works?
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital. I had a diluted test before and they had me retake it. I also worked at another hospital where I worked in HR and there was a limit. If your urine is diluted too much (there is some sort of way they can tell and must set a limit) then they will not let you retake it. This was all for being hired not for current employees. I bet if you are already working then they would let you retake it unless they are looking for away to let you go. Good luck.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Hey, another laboratory scientist! Props to you!

Don't worry unless they say something to you. Good luck on your career in the lab!
  • Pistol_Pete_53
    Pistol_Pete_53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to play college football. The NCAA issues random drug tests all the time. These are the strictest drug tests i have ever been apart of. You only get a 12 hour notification and if you are so much as late to the test it is considered an automatic fail. They even have two people watch you, they test temperatures the whole 9 yards. Also playing football i drank a ton of water, we're talking to the point of clear. Dilution was never a problem for myself or anyone that i know of on my team. It would take an incredible amount of water for the sample to be considered diluted.