I'm that annoying one at the gym who...

Options
- answers her phone on the elliptical. In my defense, my friend said he had something really important today, and would not stop calling. And I answered quietly.
- checks herself out in e mirror all the time.
- goes the wrong way on the track sometimes. I get confused.

What about you?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I LOLed at the track comment.

I'm the awkward guy who is oblivious of the woman bending over in front of him while concentrating on getting through a treadmill workout (just a blank stair straight ahead, not really looking at anything), but looks like he's staring at her butt.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    - answers her phone on the elliptical. In my defense, my friend said he had something really important today, and would not stop calling. And I answered quietly.
    - checks herself out in e mirror all the time.
    - goes the wrong way on the track sometimes. I get confused.

What about you?

When there is no Spin class, I hook my MP3 player up to their equipment because I can barely do a long Sprin ride without loud tunes blaring. And I sweat enough the ear buds would never stay in.

Employees have walked in giving tours and never said anything. A few folks have even come in and enjoyed (I guess) my hill cycle music.

But you can hear it outside the room.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I workout at the gym in my apartment building, so it's usually just me...except this one gal. I posted this story to my friends and I must share:

So, sometimes I forget how lazy we have become as a society. Where I live, we have a gym onsite. My apartment is the farthest away at about 200 yards so I walk there to do my workouts. In the building across from mine (which is about 15 yards closer to the gym) lives a woman who also goes to the gym to work out. To get there, she comes out with her big bag of workout gear, pops the trunk, puts it in the trunk, gets in the car, drives <200 yards to get to the gym, gets out of the car, pops the trunk, gets out her bag, walks 15 feet to the gym, then spends about 20 minutes "preparing" for her workout (ie - preening in the mirror, rolling out the workout mat, asking me for the remote so she can turn on her "channel" (even though I had already been there for 20 minutes anyway - and I always tell her no so you'd think she'd learn), then huffing and puffing that she can't watch her "show", then lining up her water bottle, etc. She then spends about 10 minutes lamely attempting to do some form of yoga something or other that is poorly delivered, then she stops and spends another 10 minutes picking up her mess, preening in the mirror, etc. Then she repeats the bag in the trunk routine, etc and drives back <200, gets out the back, and goes back upstairs to her apartment. She doesn't use the equipment, just the mirrors and a little floor space. So I ask her why she drives to the gym when she can just walk...she looks at me with this irritated look and says "I can't very well work out this hard and still expect to WALK home, can I? I'd be completely worn out!!" I was flabbergasted

Funny part? She always puts business cards on the bulliten board for "Modified Yoga Classes" She apparently thinks she knows how to do it right and so now can pass her half-a$$ed knowledge onto poor unsuspecting suckers. My secret joy is I always take her fliers and throw them in the dumpster. Every time she comes in, she gets all exited that people are taking her fliers. I wonder how long it takes her to figure out that no one is calling her

She always shows up with perfectly coifed hair and makeup too with fancy workout clothes. #1 - our "gym" is a 10x10 room with a treadmill, a stair stepper, a stationary bike, and one of those stand-up weight lifting jobbies that has the different things you can do (curls, squats, etc). All of this equipment is at least 15 years old, but it still works. People rarely use it, so it is not like she has anyone to "impress"...I am in awe of her stupidity

So that is my annoying gym story
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I sing along to the music in the gym classes.

I also have my spot in the front row and get pissed if someone else takes it.
  • YennaBean
    YennaBean Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The gym I use is in my apartment complex, so I'm alone most of the time. But I'm sure if there was someone else there more often, I'd be the annoying one watching cartoons the whole time... I remember this lady got up immediately to change the channel as I was heading out of the door. (:
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    The gym I use is in my apartment complex, so I'm alone most of the time. But I'm sure if there was someone else there more often, I'd be the annoying one watching cartoons the whole time... I remember this lady got up immediately to change the channel as I was heading out of the door. (:

This happens to me too cause I like to watch funny shows to keep me entertained at the gym :P specially if I'm bored of my music :D everyone hates it (most of the people in there are older anyways...so they think im an annoying college student)
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm practically blind and don't wear my glasses in the gym, so I look pretty darn spaced out.
    I can never remember how heavy I'm lifting so I try out one after another until I find the right ones.... And I typically don't realize someone is flirting with me until days later.
    Oh! And I make some pretty dramatic faces during those last couple of reps. It hurts!
    So... The spacy chick in the weight room who makes freaky faces and is impossible to flirt with.

Wow.
    Haha...
  • caitles14
    Options
    totally agree that i'm the one checking herself out in the mirror...i gotta see if i look skinny on that particular day! haha.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    - I get too into my music and have been stared at for randomly fist pumping or waving my arms around while on the treadmill. Once I thought I was the only one in the gym and started singing along outloud. Turns out I wasn't alone. Awk..

- I also give myself little pep talks, so I look like a nutter muttering away to myself haha.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm the awkward guy who is oblivious of the woman bending over in front of him---- [snip] --but looks like he's staring at her butt.

I'm actually staring at her butt.

I'm the guy grunting pretty loudly when I'm on my heavier sets.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm the guy that just can't help giving someone advice. in my defense, i only do it if they are doing it horribly wrong or about to hurt themselves.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I wish there were some annoying people at my gym just so I could have something to write about on these "annoying people at the gym" threads. But my gym is pretty straight forward- we go to work out and don't care about what others do. Or maybe I just get there too early and all the annoying ones are sleeping in! I'm there at six every morning.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Actually you better be careful about these types of threads....you might be accused of bullying and the thread deleted.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm the girl on the weights who doesn't actually want to talk to you guys. First, your music is too loud and that's fine, but it means I can't hear you if you're more than 5 feet away. Second, this is the work gym. I have to know you and interact with you and your buddies in a professional manner outside of here. Third, one of you hasn't picked up a weight in 5 minutes. Your shift was over 2 hours ago. Why are you here?

But you get used to the fact that I'm there, and you come at me respectfully, I will appreciate your help. It irritates me that sometimes the hardest part of doing my squat sets is trying to get that $^%*&%& pin out of the bar holder upper things so I can move the bar holder upper things lower because I'm short. Then, putting the pin back in is hard. I've gotten over the ego hit it is to have you do that for me, and that's fine now. And you showed me how to use the weight assisted dip machine, and I WILL do pull ups without assist this year. And you invited me to join your team at Tough Mudder. And that's awesome.

But I'd rather email at work than talk in the din of the gym when I really want to retreat into myself.

If you're my supervisor or the warden, I talk anyway.

And, you guys are way more awesome than those idiots at the community gym, so I'll stop complaining.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Mine would be the buff guy that works at the gym always all over the women, trying to act like he is mister big stuff. I wanted to tell him I'm married and to go away, but he wouldn't leave me and my friend alone. I see him ALL the time with women and that seems to be it. I guess I'm there to actually lose weight and work out, not get picked up!

Although I might be that annoying person. I like to have fun, make jokes and laugh while I'm at the gym with my friend and everyone else probably hates it. But I think people take it WAY to seriously sometimes. I have a friend and I'm going to get in some chat time with her while I'm there. I also see having fun as a way to keep me coming back instead of dreading it. I just hope i'm not too annoying for anyone without headphones in :)