My first 5K

Options
Im running my first 5K on May 2nd. Im so excited. Im not a really big runner, so I know I wont finish first, but I would like to do fairly well. Any tips for training in 4 weeks for my first 5K. Ive been working out for 4 months now and I have excellent stamina.
Im so excited. I never thought Id sign up for a 5K or at least not actually want to RUN it.. Yay.

Replies

• KristiMMM
    KristiMMM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Im running my first 5K on May 2nd. Im so excited. Im not a really big runner, so I know I wont finish first, but I would like to do fairly well. Any tips for training in 4 weeks for my first 5K. Ive been working out for 4 months now and I have excellent stamina.
    Im so excited. I never thought Id sign up for a 5K or at least not actually want to RUN it.. Yay.
  • ggooding12
    Options
    Good for you. I have missed two opportunities so far. Both for 10k. I was in an accident. Started back running Monday. Legs are a little sore. I am really excited for you and look forward to hearing the results. As for training. Just make sure you are running and putting in your time. Also, do not over do it and do not run the day before the race. Advise I gfot from my friends who are also runners and have been running for way longer than me.

Good luck to you. You'll do great, and finish strong.
  • ggooding12
    Options
    Good for you. I have missed two opportunities so far. Both for 10k. I was in an accident. Started back running Monday. Legs are a little sore. I am really excited for you and look forward to hearing the results. As for training. Just make sure you are running and putting in your time. Also, do not over do it and do not run the day before the race. Advise I gfot from my friends who are also runners and have been running for way longer than me.

Good luck to you. You'll do great, and finish strong.

Sorry, hit the button twice, could not figure out how to deleted this second posting.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have some tips for race day:

wear your most comfortable shoes. Don't go buy yourself new ones, wear the broken-in, comfy ones.

in your picture, it looks like you have shoulder length hair. this is just my preference, but worth considering: one ponytail gets sweaty and sticks to the back of your neck. two ponytails still keep the hair off your face, without the sticky-neck feeling. much more comfortable (imho)

wear shorts/capris that are NOT gonna ride up. you don't wanna be tugging on them through the race

don't bring a sweatshirt, cuz you will get too hot and then you're stuck with it tied around your waist. not very comfortable.

if you use an ipod while you're running, make yourself a new playlist of your favorite, most inspiring songs. you'll be excited to hear it on race day, and will keep your energy up.

have spaghetti for dinner the night before. (or some kind of carb-laden dinner, pasta, whatever)

have a banana and a yogurt (or egg) breakfast morning of the race (small, carb/protein mixture)

have somebody at the finish line with camera ready for the "finish line" photo. you'll feel so proud, and you don't wanna miss the moment.

above all else, ENJOY yourself!!!!!!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good luck!

I like to eat Oatmeal and a banana before my races. That gives me the right amount of carbs/protein, but everyone's different.

If you haven't been running outside - start. It's a totally different experience. It's harder, but at the same time, I find that I go faster.
  • mindi_lou
    mindi_lou Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I, too, am running my first 5K. Mine is on May 9th. I have been slowly training since the end of January. We bought a treadmill that I have been using, but now that it is warming up I have been trying to run outside more often. It definitely is a different experience running outside. Good luck to you! You can do it! I am glad for all the advice from you ladies as well.
  • KristiMMM
    KristiMMM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Im so excited. I cant wait. I ran on the treadmill today. 2 and a half miles without stopping. Im gonna run outiside on the actual route of the 5K tomorrow.
    Ill post pics when I finish the race (:
    :wink: