I'm new, any good tips?

Options
How do you calculate your water. Is it only water? Do you use the 15 calories or less? I drink mostly water, but to break the plainess have a few glasses of unsweetened flavored tea. So would I count the tea as part of my water intake since it has 0 calories.

Also what are a few of your big milestones? I haven't lost much weight yet, I'm only in my second week, but I have given up my Dr. Pepper addiction already and gotten rid of that barage of empty calories.

Replies

• lizzle34
    Options
    Water doesn't have any calories so just count it on your water count thing.
  • rbdevers
    Options
    Coffee, tea are to be treated as non-water. Water is water. Keep it pure for counting. Coffee and tea are ok but watch the caffine while trying to lose weight. Get those 8 to 10 8oz. glasses a day.

Good news on saying good bye to Dr. Pepper. That helps keep the sugar load down. When I have been most successful in losing weight rapidly and keeping it off in the long run I try to go zero sugar for about 10 days as well as anything that has flour in it. Once weight starts to drop slowly add back the above items until you see weight loss of only 1 to 1.5 lbs a week and no more.

Good luck. This has been my experience
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; this is a great place to get started on a wonderful journey.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.
    As for water logging, I enter anything liquid that contains water.
    Tips?
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • lizzle34
    Options
    I have a cup of tea (or three) with sweetener and semi-skimmed milk and MFP tells me that it's 11 calories. This is the milk content alone causing the calories.
    Glasses of water I just mark down on my water counter and they don't count as water has no calories. I read somewhere that ice cold water is better for weight loss as it speeds up your metabolism. Does anyone know if there is any truth in that? Just curious.
  • misslissa121
    Options
    I have a cup of tea (or three) with sweetener and semi-skimmed milk and MFP tells me that it's 11 calories. This is the milk content alone causing the calories.
    Glasses of water I just mark down on my water counter and they don't count as water has no calories. I read somewhere that ice cold water is better for weight loss as it speeds up your metabolism. Does anyone know if there is any truth in that? Just curious.

Water and Metabolism

Cold water may increase metabolism even more.
    Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of Frédéric DUPONT Water has been shown to increase the rate at which your body burns calories by as much as 24% according to www.MyFit.ca. There is even speculation that drinking cold water can increase your metabolism even more because your body must burn calories in order to warm the water to body temperature for digestion.

Water's Function in the Body
    Water is an important component of digestion which is a crucial piece of the metabolic picture. During the process of digestion, calories are either absorbed and used for fuel, stored as fat, or eliminated. Water helps to lubricate the digestion process and www.SideRoad.com points to a healthy digestive system as one key to a healthy metabolic rate. Water helps all of your organs to function well, and replenishes hydration lost through perspiration, urination, and basic body functions.

This was gotten from http://www.ehow.com/facts_5683026_water-speed-up-metabolism_.html
    Don't know how reliable the information is, but they have some sites listed as resources.

I know caffiene puts off hunger (why it is in so many weight loss pills) pulls water from the body (why it is important to drink a glass of water with your cup of coffee). I typically try to drink decaf tea (really love french vanilla roiboos) and I can drink most teas without sugar, coffee on the other hand I need a little sugar and I have stopped using creamer and use my vanilla silk almond milk instead, but I'm not a regular coffee drinker anyway, maybe a few times a month.