Has anyone overcome depression without meds?

Options
13»

Replies

• ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I used to take Zoloft. One doctor put me on Paxil because I was having anxiety attacks. Turned out is was a heart issue. So I tried to go off the Paxil, which was he11. They put me on Zoloft again to get me off of Paxil. I am now off all psych meds.

How do I handle my depression?

Find a good therapist that will listen to you non-judgementally. At first you will want to go every week or every other week. You need someone to rant at and to give you alternative views of the situation.

Secondly, realize that you are in charge of your emotions. If others are making you upset, realize that it is really you that is allowing you to be upset. Just learn to say 'F... it', 'Whatever', and so on.

Recognize what YOU want in life and go for it. Don't let other people tell you what you should want. The only person who knows you is you.

Read the book Reviving Ophelia. I find that many women have problems with depression because they are trying to live up to other peoples' expectations. Don't kick yourself about it. We are raised that way. Once you realize this fact, you will be able to recognize when you are living for yourself or living for someone else. When you live for yourself, truly live for yourself, you will overcome your depression.

You can friend me if you like.
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    Good therapy was the only thing that helped me overcome a year and a half of major depression. No meds for me.
    I saw a counselor for 6 months and it changed my life! Dealing with past trauma was the key for me. I also spent many many hours doing personal"homework" with self help books and meditation. I wish you the best and hope you will seek outside help in some way.

This is what ultimately helped me also. I have dealt with depression for years since I can remember. I was on meds that the same as you made me suicidal. I had insomnia an effect from so much anxiety. I would take sleep medication and just get zonked out. I didn't want to live like that forever.

It was a long time in therapy dealing with all my past issues that has released me. It was a huge weight off my shoulders. I feel so much happier and healthier than ever.

I wish you the best of luck whichever path you choose. :flowerforyou:
  • melaniekamanja12
    Options
    Before this last year I took anti depression meds for 9 years. I will be 25 on the 28 of this month and I feel it has helped me. I quit taking them because I lost insurance and pretty much didn't wanna pay for it out of pocket. I think its been the best decision and the worst decision i have made. Best because I have to live in reality (which is super hard) but by exercising and eating somewhat healthy, i can do it. Worst because sometimes I have these flip out moments where everything STRESSES me to the max and i do stupid stuff (slam doors, scream, cry, break stuff) They only last about 10 mintues or so and not even everymonth. I feel like the medicine I used to be on made me feel BLAH. And now I feel like I have lost so much because I hve been on it. I honestly feel like i have lost part of my brain. If you can go without it , it might be better in the long run. BUT finding friends that can relate to me or family and my husband is the reason i was able to quit taking them. You might wanna try to see a different doc. you can add me if ya want.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Mine is DEFFO sunlight related.

we now have a vacation in the sun in January and October each year.

my vit D levels are VERY low. i live in England, we get no sun essentially.

i cannot stress how bad low vit D can make you feel. i bought a natural light alarm clock for winter time to which helps alot.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When it comes to clinical depression, you are playing with fire.
    Seek professional help! OK, got that out of the way....
    So, to answer your question, yes, I was medicated after an accident. I got off the med's and took control of my life.
    This is how I stay on track; maybe it will help you.
    One word: GOALS!

And I address these areas:

Family and Home
    Financial and Career
    Spiritual and Ethical
    Physical and Health
    Social and Cultural
    Mental and Educational

I write out what I want out of life in each of these areas. And what action can I take to get there.
    When we write down a goal we are more likely to achieve it. Written goals can be reviewed regularly, hence they have more long-range power. Like a contract with yourself, they are harder to neglect or forget. Also, by writing goals in the following fashion, you can stimulate your subconscious to be continuously alert to situations that will further those goals.

There are tons of websites and info available free of charge just like MFP.
    It's work just like MFP.
    The ball is in your court.

Good Luck.

I agree with the above, no one's advice is better than your doctor's.

Looking at it from a goal setting perspective, I found life coaching and NLP extremely helpful in sorting out my own head during some rather dark times. I would recommend 'Be Your Own Life Coach' by Fiona Harrold to anyone.

I have to disagree that no ones advise is better than your doctors. The majority of medical doctors do not truly care about your mental or physical health. To them, you are a walking and breathing dollar sign. So many doctors are so quick to diagnose us and put us on a medication as fast as they can. I suggest researching your doctor and not just seeking the advise of a medical doctor, but possibly a DC. I'm all about my health and I trust a doctor who is about taking care of the body much more than a doctor who is concerned with filling the body with toxins. Not saying there are no medications out there that aren't good. Just be careful and don't do something just because a doctor says too.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    okay so i'm sorry if this triggers or offends anyone.. i just want advice... has anyone overcome depression without meds? i am just so fed up with it.. i hate this feeling, i hate just flat out wanting to die every second of the day, i'm just sick of feeling like this, i don't know what to do! is there any natural remedies?

Yes. Overcome it in the sense that its not debilitating but not overcome it in the sense that I NEVER Struggle with it.

If you are as bad as it sounds though -- go on the meds for a few months. You probably need the boost to get out of a really deep one. I dislike the way I feel on meds so I try to manage without but they do have their time and place.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    the answers here are great ones...

i would only add one thing (and it's the thing that helped me more than anything)... journaling.

i was amazed how much i discovered about myself once i really got into it... some if it surprised the heck out of me too!

Now, while i am no longer on antidepressants, and no longer journal regularly... whenever i DO start to feel kinda overwhelmed and like i am losing personal control, i get out a journal again and talk it out with myself *S*

Blogging seems to provide that same effect for some .. but prefer to keep my journalling private, and oddly enough, i 'need' it to be handwritten.
    It surprised me after awhile, glancing back, seeing how my handwriting changed and how often it seemed reflective of my mood/how the things i was writing about were affecting me. And yes, looking back and noticing tear stains on pages past helped reassure me how far i have come *S*
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This topic (mental depression) is directly linked to proper nutrition and physical fitness and should not be taken lightly. It is clearly evident that MFP members are proactive given their first-hand experiences -- I love this website!

One must research to learn and understand all aspects of depression. One must do the same with one's meds: Research. Know how your meds interact with other meds, supplements, and alcohol.

For a period of approximately 20 years, I was on a variety of anti-depressants, the first being Prozac. My depression stemmed from family deaths -- unexpected and very tragic losses. In 2010, after my beloved younger brother died, I thought that I would no longer be able to go on living. I had to literally FIGHT to go on. I challenged myself to honor my brother by living my best life. The first challenge was to get "clean." I did a lot of research before going to my nurse practitioner for help on weaning myself off the meds (Effexor and Xanax). The side effects of going cold turkey would have been horrendous. It took me six months to get clean. I did not experience any adverse effects. I drank tons of water (still do) to flush out my system.

I slowly (very slowly) changed my eating habits by decreasing simple carbs and sugar. The slow process made me mindful of the other areas in my life that needed to be addressed, particularly, exercise. I noticed a big change approximately one year after I had flushed out the meds. I don't take any type of prescription medicine: no flu shots, no antibiotics, nothing. And I feel better than I have been in a long, long time.

Last spring, I took the bull by the horns and forced myself to start exercising. Exercise was the most crucial component to my mental wellness. I now use natural supplements to treat my depression: St. John's Wort, DHEA, 5-HTP, Omega-3, etc.

Embracing a positive attitude is essential. Refuse negativity at all costs. Force yourself to learn something new each day -- even if it's a word. Don't dwell on past mistakes. Look forward. Live in the present. Have a social network. Journal.

Know exactly what type of depression you have -- not all depression is the same. The professionals still haven't been able to figure it out -- they're still learning. That's why one must do the research.

Six months ago, after my sister was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I researched this disease (Yes, it is a disease.). An excellent book I would strongly recommend, to everyone, is: BIPOLAR DISORDER: A GUIDE FOR PATIENTS AND FAMILIES by FRANCIS MARK MONDIMORE. This book examines symptoms, diagnosing, treating and understanding not only bipolar disorder but also the different types of depression. Dr. Mondimore also discusses ADHD and its relationship to bipolar disorder. Note: Bipolar is best treated with prescription medicine(s) along with psychotherapy, which Dr. Mondimore discusses in his book. The bipolar patient is usually treated by two physicians.

After hibernating under the covers for a month (after a sibling's murder), I was told to "Snap out of it." This is what led me to seek treatment. It took self-discipline and much will power to force myself to "get better." I couldn't afford a whole lot of psychotherapy, but I managed to make small financial sacrifices for the treatment I did receive. More than anything, my need to research, to completely understand, got me through. (It's a good thing I like to read!) I struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD, and take proactive steps in keeping it manageable, specifically, via exercise.

The internet provides limitless information, sifting out the good and bad is yet another exercise in keeping our minds alert. There are valuable cyber blogs on this topic. I love when I stumble upon the uplifting blogs, giving hope that we can have light in our lives. Always have hope.

Knowledge is power and sharing is caring.
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    I had depression for 6 years.I overcame it with meds. The meds kept me sane. My amazing Dr's "Fantastic 5" is what cured me.

1. Sleep (8 hours uninterrupted, every night)
    2. Meditation (10 mins undisturbed, use music if you want, as needed)
    3. Exercise (apparently burns excess adrenaline that causes downward spirals)
    4. Sex
    5. Chocolate (in small doses, when the other 4 are out of the question)

hugs :flowerforyou:

I didn't take the meds because mine was situational, not clinical-but add yoga to this list and you've got my list on how I dealt with it:)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    okay so i'm sorry if this triggers or offends anyone.. i just want advice... has anyone overcome depression without meds? i am just so fed up with it.. i hate this feeling, i hate just flat out wanting to die every second of the day, i'm just sick of feeling like this, i don't know what to do! is there any natural remedies?

I've not read the whole thread, so forgive me. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can share my experience.

I've dealt with depression since I was a toddler. I'm now 30. In the last few years I've made huge strides in managing my depression. I don't believe I will ever be "cured," but I can say that I'm doing significantly better now than I have been in years past, and it only gets better as time goes on.

But it's been WORK. Really hard work, not only in changing habits, but in identifying my triggers and changing my thought patterns. It's not easy. Things that have worked for me might not work for you. But my successes have been brought about by changing my diet (more protein, fewer carbs, less sugar), and being more active. I may not "work out" every day, but I get up and moving. I shower and get dressed in nice clothes every morning whether I have anywhere to go or not. I turn on the lights on a gray day. I take vitamin D and a B complex daily. I make sure to drink enough water. I increased my veggie intake. I've learned that tiredness almost always triggers a major depression, so I make sure to get enough sleep, and on days that I'm tired, I keep busy doing things I enjoy so I don't have time to get down. And I've had to work hard to identify negative thought patterns and change them. I work at this every moment of the day.

Honestly, while these things have worked for me and I haven't used medication, I strongly urge you to talk with your doctor and/or see a therapist. Because I've been successful, but I've been working at this for well over a decade. Had I gotten help earlier, I think maybe I would have made more rapid progress. It's taken me a long time and I've had MANY rough patches that were nearly unbearable, and nobody should have to go through that. There's nothing *wrong* with taking medication if you need it, at least for a short while, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking therapy. Depression has a way of making you want to do the opposite of what you NEED to do, and it's good to have someone who can recognize that and help steer you in the right direction when you're floundering. I don't believe anyone should do this on their own. I've been lucky to have people around me who understand me and push me to do what I need to do, but most people don't have that -- even if you have a supportive family and friends, they don't always know the right thing to do. So let me reiterate: I STRONGLY urge you to seek professional help. There's nothing wrong with getting some extra support. If you need help finding resources in your area, feel free to PM me and I will help you. If you just need some support, I will support you.

We also have a group here on MFP if you need some support: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2202-managing-depression
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different--I'm not a doctor, grain of salt---etc, yadda yadda

You don't get over clinical depression. You can get to a point where you can be happy...or really just normal. Normal can seem pretty damn chipper when you're in a bad spot, though. Sometimes it takes finding both the right therapy and the right meds. The annoying part about that is that taking meds that don't work can be extremely disheartening. Even if you do find meds that work, it can take a long time and that process is this constant struggle that you don't want to/can't face some days.

At those times, you need a support system.

I'm not saying diet and exercise don't affect mood. I definitely noticed some drastic mood swings when I first stated being better about my food choices and working out. But I think if I were in the OP's position and I read advice suggesting that diet will definitely help, I'd probably want to scream.

If the answer to the question "Do you want to live today" is yes, I'd suggest taking small steps and stop worrying about the big picture. Do something that will help you feel successful, even if it's not huge. If the answer is ever no, you need to call a professional immediately.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Still overcoming, with exercise, proper nutrition, and a good counselor.

I don't trust big pHARMa, so I don't touch their drugs unless I have absolutely no choice. I have yet to pop a pill for depression and anxiety, and hope to never feel like I have to.

It's a long process, but can definitely be done.
  • MrsRabbit83
    MrsRabbit83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep, I invested in a lot of self help books and started to think of things I am grateful for every morning, I started forcing myself to go out more, I listen to more upbeat music. I still feel down quite a bit but I have found talking to other people helps. Chin up, you can beat it :flowerforyou: