Shock and awwwwww, man! NEVER AGAIN - a lesson learned

Options

Replies

• solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've found that, surprisingly, at places like that a hamburger is often the best option. 1/3lb, no cheese, no mayo is only about 600 calories. And order it without fries.

I second this! Hold the fries.

Don't beat yourself up. Look at this as a permanent lifestyle change. The process of logging calories will keep you on track indefinitely. Don't worry about timelines, think about calorie logging. It will keep you accountable. You will find ebbs and flows in your progress, just don't quit logging, and you will make it the goal of living the life you envision for yourself.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't go out without know the menu first.
    And usually, I make it a "free day", because I am not going to nibble on carrot sticks and soy wafers while everybody else is enjoying fabulous foods. I'd rather just blow it out, eat what I want, then consider it a "free day/cheat day".
    I love my cheat days, or as I prefer to say: "RE-FEED THERAPY"
    I have a weekly day where I eat about twice my daily goal, and a monthly food orgy where I eat like a man going to the electric chair for 24 hours.
    LOVE IT!
    It's nice knowing I am never more than 7 days from eating anything I desire in whatever quantity I want.
    I'd go nuts otherwise.

I have lost over 70 lbs doing this, so those who say it inhibits progress are clueless. I still get people who want to argue...:laugh:

I would love to learn to do this, but I don't have the emotional capacity to support it! Lol j would probably have an emotional meltdown, tears and all like an emotionally disturbed child :/
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The answer is.........a regular portion is 2292 calories, 153 fat, 142 carb, 92 protein - Can almost hear the body cry in protest!
    my goodness. Wow!
  • StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with my APP. Thanks for learning the lesson for us all though ;-).
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    That's what I call an epic salad. How was it?
  • anneouel
    anneouel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Inconceivable.
    this is the moment I wish for a like button XD

and yeah ive been to restaurants and thought the same thing only to go home and kick myself in the *kitten*
  • Jaded_GRL
    Options
    I hate when that happens. It also bums me out when the food isn't even good enough to be worth the calorie splurge. lol
    OHHHH that is a huge issue I have!!! Hate saving calories for a special meal that day and then the food isn't good or service ruins the meal and then you feel like you wasted those cal's!!
  • sparkie2bfit
    Options

It was ok, but I've lost my appetite for it! ROFLTTWOC (Rolling on floor laughing trying to work off calories ;-)
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i did the same thing the other day.went to applebees with a colleague .. ordered the grilled shrimp and spinach salad with no dressing thinking i was doing good.. it had slivered almonds in it too .. i went home to put it in my food diary and found it had 56 grams of fat in it without dressing ..holy moly i dang near keeled over .. no way ever ever will i do that again !!!
  • bas1955
    bas1955 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

It was ok, but I've lost my appetite for it! ROFLTTWOC (Rolling on floor laughing trying to work off calories ;-)

OOOOPS, posted on my dear wife's account - must be the carb overload kicking in.....
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    planning is the key to business meetings or going out to dinner in my experience. @ champs, i normally go with Grilled Fajitas with no wraps.

and if i dont plan, i normally just go with Fajitas with out wraps. (Chicken Fajitas with Condiments - w/o Tortillas is around 590 calories at most places.

I like Fajitas without wraps if you can't tell. lol
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't go out without know the menu first.
    And usually, I make it a "free day", because I am not going to nibble on carrot sticks and soy wafers while everybody else is enjoying fabulous foods. I'd rather just blow it out, eat what I want, then consider it a "free day/cheat day".
    I love my cheat days, or as I prefer to say: "RE-FEED THERAPY"
    I have a weekly day where I eat about twice my daily goal, and a monthly food orgy where I eat like a man going to the electric chair for 24 hours.
    LOVE IT!
    It's nice knowing I am never more than 7 days from eating anything I desire in whatever quantity I want.
    I'd go nuts otherwise.

I have lost over 70 lbs doing this, so those who say it inhibits progress are clueless. I still get people who want to argue...:laugh:

I would love to learn to do this, but I don't have the emotional capacity to support it! Lol j would probably have an emotional meltdown, tears and all like an emotionally disturbed child :/
    Life is to be lived - not endured.
    Maybe one of our resident egg-heads could explain the science behind calorie spiking; I just know it works for me.
    And it's fun.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I was at BWW and looking at my APP on the phone and the waitress brought me out the menu with calorie counts on everything, it was great! so if you cant find it in the app - ask the server if they have a breakdown....
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Save several hundred calories by asking for olive oil and vinegar for dressing and taking your own shaker of Mrs. Dash no sodium seasoning. If there is bacon in the salad, ask for no bacon. A couple of tablespoons of blue cheese or other creamy dressing will kill you on what should be a "healthy" meal.

To the person who was surprised about the fat in the almonds..... nuts have the "good" fat that your body can use efficiently. It will help your body feel satisfied too. So don't stay away from nuts because of that.
  • emilysuelemus
    emilysuelemus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! thanks for the tip!
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    yea that is a great lesson learned!! i try to pre check MFP before ordering too...or i know my total allotted cals before even thinking of eating out to a restaurant lol
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This is why I now refuse to go to eat anywhere that will not give me a nutritional information either online or in the restaurant itself. Took an hour the other night to look for a place because all our favorites don't offer any info so off the list they went.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I always check online before going to a restaurant and refuse to eat anywhere that they dont post their nutrition info. My nutritionist also gave me a handy little book of all the fast food places with their nutrition info that I keep in the car! And yes watch that word "lite" also when grocery shopping. I compare everything in the grocery to other items before deciding on what to buy.

I learned your lesson on week 2 of my journey. We were going out and was going to Tony Roma's for ribs. I check the nutrition info on what a usually ordered, sampler platter or something like that, and it was 2200 plus calories. I like to have died just thinking about how often I had eaten that in the past. Needless to say I havent eaten there sinc starting. Also, dressings are a killer out in restaurants. I bring my own dressing or one of Wishbone's salad spritzers which is only 1 to 1.5 calories per spray.

Also this is a learning journey. We all learn from each other and some days we stumble. Just remember it was one meal in 21 for the week and dont let one bad meal and/or day derail you from reaching and maintaining your goal.
  • kaysue160
    Options
    I was having a busy day and planned to eat on the run. Being cheap, I wanted to also use a coupon. I chose DQ... did you know their KIDS meals w/ soda & dessert are about 700 calories... and that's supposed to be for a CHILD!
  • emmadog1
    Options
    You might want to check out Dotties weight loss zone www.dwlz.com she has a huge selection of calorie and nutririon info on restaurants/take out even for places that dont list anything on their menu.Ive used it several times and found it very helpful.