Whey Protein

Options
After SOOOO long I finally bought Whey protein. My intention was to buy this awhile ago but I just never got around to it or it slipped my mind. I made a Whey shake after my workout last night instead of a snack and it tasted pretty good! The shake included milk, blackberries, and ice. Is it ok to replace a snack with a Whey shake? I am curious if others strongly believe whey is necessary.
Hopefully this becomes a beneficial addition to my workout world!

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A whey shake is my primary post workout snack. I notice a difference in the post workout hunger and recovery.
  • u117289
    u117289 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have had a trainer (who is still a friend) and if she could instill anything in her clients it was Whey Protein. She has her favorite and that she recommends. But her biggest thing is to check the label because she said a lot of them are filled with "crap" our body doesn't need.. I workout in the mornings so when i'm getting ready for work I drink one as part of my breakfast. All i do is add water to it and shake.. simple and easy when traveling too.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    After SOOOO long I finally bought Whey protein. My intention was to buy this awhile ago but I just never got around to it or it slipped my mind. I made a Whey shake after my workout last night instead of a snack and it tasted pretty good! The shake included milk, blackberries, and ice. Is it ok to replace a snack with a Whey shake? I am curious if others strongly believe whey is necessary.
    Hopefully this becomes a beneficial addition to my workout world!

Oh yeah!!! I use Dymatize Elite proteins (the best so far). I like the fact that it is gluten free, and is suitable for lactose intolerant/sensitive people.
    I have a shake right after I get up...around 3 p.m...and right before bed.
    My ex-trainer got me on protein....I'm so glad she did!
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I bought Jillian's..is that ok?
  • u117289
    Options
    I bought Jillian's..is that ok?

I think it's a matter of preference.. Each time I walk into the Vitamin Shoppe I'm always shocked and how much stuff is in there. I personally get Optimum Heath Whey .. Double Rich Chocolate, Chocolate Mint, one of the Vanillas is good (don't remember which one) personally not a fan of the Strawberry flavored one.. but it is good if you mix it with milk or yogurt.. but on it's own.. it's ok.

Good luck picking one!
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    What do I look for that should NOT be in the whey?
  • u117289
    Options
    What do I look for that should NOT be in the whey?

IDK- I use to buy the Costco brand and was told to stay away from it.. I liked them because they were premade. I think sugar is one of the things to look for. Do you go to a gym, I think I’d ask one of the trainers there for some input… I stuck with what my trainer told me to go with.. it’s low in calories, has a good amount of protein, doesn’t taste nasty and it’s affordable. I’m guessing she has a reason why she liked this one.. but I never asked. Hope that was of some help..