I'm hungrier now than I was before

Options
Now that I am eating more for breakfast (used to be just V8) and a mid morning snack and an afternoon snack I find that I am a LOT more hungry than I used to be. Here's what I had today:

B-fast:
Coffee
Instant Oatmeal (weight control)
Hard boiled egg

Lunch:
Subway 6" veggie on whole wheat with honey mustard and cheese

Afternoon snack:
15 almonds

No mid-morning snack because I got too busy. But I usually have almonds or yogurt.

But I seem to be hungry all the time now. I only have a 500 cal a day deficit. I've been drinking a lot more water than I used to. Is there something different I should be doing?

Replies

• jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Now that I am eating more for breakfast (used to be just V8) and a mid morning snack and an afternoon snack I find that I am a LOT more hungry than I used to be. Here's what I had today:

B-fast:
    Coffee
    Instant Oatmeal (weight control)
    Hard boiled egg

Lunch:
    Subway 6" veggie on whole wheat with honey mustard and cheese

Afternoon snack:
    15 almonds

No mid-morning snack because I got too busy. But I usually have almonds or yogurt.

But I seem to be hungry all the time now. I only have a 500 cal a day deficit. I've been drinking a lot more water than I used to. Is there something different I should be doing?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    If you are a not a vegetarian, try eating meat protein. That does the trick for me or a nut butter.:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot for you? This morning I had an english muffin, 1/4 cup egg whites, ounce of fat free cheese, 1 oz canadian bacon, all together in a sandwich. And I also had a half cup of Muscle Milk. Then an hour later I had a piece of toast with 1 tbsp PB and 1/2 tbsp honey. I'd be hungry all the time too if that was a lot of food for me.
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    Exactly, try eating more protein, I use lowfat string cheese as a snack, and I'm satisfied afterwards, also, sounds like your metabolism might be speed up a little too...Best to you always, Rick
  • tkrull
    tkrull Posts: 15
    Options
    I weigh about 260lbs and i eat that much food for breakfast alone and i'm still losing weight. You need to maximize your calories to maximize your weight loss. I would be starving all day long if that is what i could consume in a day. I really think that you have to look over your intake and make some kind of change all together. I see far to many ppl on this website talking about consuming 1200 cal a day, and they wonder why their hungry. I go to the gym and give it all i got for 1 hour a day, 6 days a week and i eat about 2800cal a day and i still lose about 2 lbs a week, granted my weight has something to do with it but i know that i'm never hungry.
  • jtintx
    Options
    Well, tonight I'll have fish, brown rice and peas for dinner. So after dinner I'll be at 1265 calories. I'll probably have some grapefruit as an evening snack. The egg has protein, the yogurt has protein and the almonds have protein and the fish will have protein....how much more protein do I need? I'm doing good at staying at my alloted calories but honestly, I'm getting tired of being hungry. Is there a difference between meat protein and other sources when it comes to hunger?
  • jtintx
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot for you? This morning I had an english muffin, 1/4 cup egg whites, ounce of fat free cheese, 1 oz canadian bacon, all together in a sandwich. And I also had a half cup of Muscle Milk. Then an hour later I had a piece of toast with 1 tbsp PB and 1/2 tbsp honey. I'd be hungry all the time too if that was a lot of food for me.
    What will you have the rest of the day? Are you working out a lot more than me? I get about an hour to 1.5 hrs. most days of the week.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Even at 1200 calories I was eating a lot more than you. You need more veggies and more protein.

EDIT:

Find more types of lean protein. Egg beaters will have more protein and less calories. And load up on the veggies, especially for snacks. I don't see 5 servings in there.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I was hungry all the time too when i was eating a lot of fruit. I switched to egg beaters for breakfast on a sandwhich thin, tuna with fatfree mayo on a thin, and a speciak K protein bar about 2-3 pm. that holds my now until i get home and eat dinner, around 6 pm.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I think it is about density. I usually have to eat a lot of fish to feel 'full'. Usually I put beans in my tuna as a filler. Salmon is the only fish that leaves me feeling satisfied even then I have to have about 6 oz.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What will you have the rest of the day? Are you working out a lot more than me? I get about an hour to 1.5 hrs. most days of the week.

I eat about 1700-1800 cals a day, with around 300-400 coming from breakfast. I work out about 1-2 hours a day 6 days a week. I'm 5'0 and 129, so not especially large. I am down to lifting 3 days a week and I do cardio 6 days a week. I'm in a 500 calorie deficit, just came off 2 months of maintenance and then a 200 calorie deficit, 1 month each. Of course everyone is different, but if I'm consistently hungry, I tend to eat. The scale went up a couple lbs when I switched to maintenance, then dropped a bit and maintained until I began to cut calories again. I really see no reason to feel hungry all the time.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Lets put it this way

if you're working out at the gym for an hour and a half and only consuming 1265 cals a day, then I would think you that boosting your intake by another 100 - 200 cals probably won't kill. Your body is like a furnace, adding food is adding fuel. The more fuel you burn, the more you should consider taking in. document the cals you burn and then see what happens.
  • btrfly2nite
    Options
    Honestly when I eat snacks all day 1 every 3 hrs Im alot hungrier then I was when I ate once a day. Your metabolism is running high right now and its burning more calories then it use to.

139556.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I can give you 1 very good reason why this MAY be the case for you jt.

you were probably not eating enough before to kick start your metabolism in the morning. Eating enough in the morning tells your body "ok; today there will be NO famine today. Go ahead and start burning your normal calories, you will have the energy to continue."

That's a good thing.

Feeling hungry isn't such a good thing though, you might want to up your soluble fiber intake in the morning. Right now you're taking in very little fiber in the morning (instant oatmeal usually has between 3 and 7 grams, not all that much considering you should take more fiber in early then you do late).

Soluble fiber binds to fat, stays in your stomach for a while, and prolongs the time it takes to digest food, which is good, think of fiber like a time released medicine caplet, forcing you to spread out the energy release of food you eat, instead of it all being broken down at once. I would add some veggies like carrots and maybe some apple to breakfast, they last a while in the belly and keep you feeling full longer.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well, tonight I'll have fish, brown rice and peas for dinner. So after dinner I'll be at 1265 calories. I'll probably have some grapefruit as an evening snack. The egg has protein, the yogurt has protein and the almonds have protein and the fish will have protein....how much more protein do I need? I'm doing good at staying at my alloted calories but honestly, I'm getting tired of being hungry. Is there a difference between meat protein and other sources when it comes to hunger?

By your ticker, you don't have that much more weight to lose. If you work out 1-2 hours a day, you need to eat more!!!!!! You're likely burning AT LEAST an extra 300-400 calories a day; therefore, you should eat at least 1500-1600 calories a day, even on your "off" day. You might even try decreasing your calorie deficit to 300 cals a day.

So, if you're eating 1600-1800 cals a day, you have plenty of room to add more good fat and fiber!!!!

Good luck! And remember- if you're hungry, EAT!!!
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    this may sound stupid, but what does it mean when you say you have a calorie deficit of 500?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    this may sound stupid, but what does it mean when you say you have a calorie deficit of 500?

maintaining your weight requires a certain number of calories, if you eat less, then you should (in theory at least) lose weight, the difference between your maintenance calories and what you are eating to lose weight is the deficit.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    It means that you have told myfitnesspal that you want to lose 1lb per week, so to reach that goal your daily calories has already been reduced by 500.

500 x7=3500=1 lb :smile:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options

This is the difference between your Active Metabolic Rate (what your body burns daily to get you through your day- depends on your daily activity, not exercise) and what you should eat in a day--- NOT INCLUDING exercise calories burned. So, I'm lightly active and have an AMR of 1700 cals. MFP sets me at 1200 calories a day to eat to get a 500 calorie per day deficit. However, I eat a lot more that 1200 calories a day because I exercise.

Hope this helps!!!
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    awesome...i understand. Thanks everyone!!