PMS - Does anyone else get it bad?

Options
Sorry if this is in the wrong group. But its not really weight loss related, so hoped it fit in with support.

I get extremely bad PMS these days - I cry at ANYTHING and generally feel I cannot cope with the world. I also find myself creating whole fictional arguments with those I love in my head as I convince myself everyone has fallen out with me/is annoyed with me/ I've done something terrible when I haven't. Usually all made better with a hug for hubby to be and a cup of tea at least!

Its only for 3 or 4 days before my period, and the rest of the time I am fine. So its not depression. But I am starting to worry its not normal.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I get like that. Hormones can be crazy. But, I was diagnosed with PMDD. After having my first daughter I was put on a birth control used to help treat PMDD. Now that I've had my second, I plan on asking for the same. On top of my hormonal rages, I get horrible cramps. Stay in bed, can't move cramps.
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have it something terrible! I just spent the last 5 days in a state of exhausting emotional fluctuations. I'm going to the doctor next week to see if it is due to some kind of imbalance, because I feel like I'm going crazy once a month.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some people feel like this. Personally, I don't, though. It might be worth having a conversation with your doctor. If nothing else, it will at least put your mind at ease.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I cry at everything all the time, when I get PMS, instead, I usually shout at my boyfriend for not crying at everything.

In truth I'm up and down all the time, I find it hard to cope but I do have problems with heavy menstruation and cramps, it makes me really snappy and at that point if James can't read my mind then it's his fault. I've recently had an IUD implanted to try and control the pain and the bleeding. I'm still a bit up and down with my emotions though, luckily James is a very understanding, caring man.
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any form of birth control? Could be the cause. I was taking Yaz (don't have pmdd) and it made me a lunatic. I had to quit taking it, luckily I have the option. If you are you may need to speak to your dr about taking something different.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have found that the progesterone-only pill helps with the PMS hugely. Unfortunately it doesn't help me much with the cramps and I can't do much when I have them. The combined pill helped with the cramps but made me feel like throwing someone out a 12th storey window or jumping out of it myself! Go and see your doctor as he may be able to get to the bottom of it. Hope you feel better :flowerforyou:
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Nope. My boobs just hurt, and i'll get random cramps once in a while. Thats about it. I'm very emotionally centered in public situations though. And im rarely by myself, so it could be that i am just...contained despite all the hormones.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who get like that around that time of the month. I myself used to get a lot more emotional around it then I do now. It is due to an imbalance of hormones. I have actually helped somebody who suffered from it too. She is using natural supplements rather than birth control, because the unhealthy side effects of birth control were too much for her. If you are interested I would love to help you too.
    Good luck!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Sounds like PMDD to me also.
    I ended up going to the doctor and starting Yaz. Holy crap I makes me a completely different person. I love not crying at Kay jewelery or cute Gerber commercials.
    I still supplement with evening primrose oil. Helps with my appetite, cramps, bloating, flow. Its been a miracle. I can thank one of my MFP pals Edorice for recommending it.
    Speaking of I should thank her ha!
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - its good to know its not just me. I'm due to see the doctor so may speak to him to put my mind at rest as you say.

It not birth control, (as hoping that shortly after my wedding in 3 weeks it won't need to be controlled at all!!). I guess I'm also a bit worried that if this is what normal hormones do to me, what the hell will pregnancy ones do??
  • Jo2926
    Options
    Ok, being a bit thick - what is PMDD?
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I get it very bad as well. I feel like everything thaat happens no matter how minor is a huge problem. I get very angry-upset at small things. It usually happens about a week before my TOM shows up. It has gotten better over the last few months but this month has been a bit hard on me. But I think it has a lot to do with my changing my diet and excercise as that always seems to change my TOM as well.

I would say talk to your Dr. it is quite possible that you have PMDD. If mine had not calmed down I would have gone that route as well.
  • smileybooliz
    smileybooliz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - its good to know its not just me. I'm due to see the doctor so may speak to him to put my mind at rest as you say.

It not birth control, (as hoping that shortly after my wedding in 3 weeks it won't need to be controlled at all!!). I guess I'm also a bit worried that if this is what normal hormones do to me, what the hell will pregnancy ones do??

Being pregnant usually helps calm the PMS and or PMDD symptoms. When you're pregnant the hormones level out. You don't have that flucuation in hormones you get during the month especially right before you start your period.
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with this all my life... Now I've hit the menopause it's pretty bad still but I'm good at dealing with it.

for me evening primrose oil and starflower oil really help, I now also take agnus castus. I avoid alchohol for a few days and my family are all aware and good at ignoring my mood swings and hormonal weirdness bless them! I couldn't take the pill as they all made me worse...

good luck, just knowing you aren't alone always helps..:flowerforyou:
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    A lot of times its due to a deficiency in vitamins and minerals. Including Vit. B, C. and protein. And actually a lot of people don't get the recommended amounts of protein in their diets. Of course drink lots of water too. But to help you'll need a quality vitamin, not the cheap kind from Walgreens or the grocery store.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I get that way. I have pmdd.
  • Jo2926
    Options
    Thats interesting. What is a good source of fit B? I'm really conscious of protein, but not so much vitamins. I'm thinking of getting a pre-natal one, but would be good to add food sources too.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you are planning on becoming pregnant in the next few months it would be a good idea to start taking a folic acid supplement (one of the B vitamins) to protect against spina bifida etc
  • Jo2926
    Options
    If you are planning on becoming pregnant in the next few months it would be a good idea to start taking a folic acid supplement (one of the B vitamins) to protect against spina bifida etc

It was folic acid that got me thinking about a pre-natal vitamin. Didn't realise that was a B vit.

I need to educate myself on this I think - I hate it when I feel lost with these kind of things!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Yep I used to get it bad in teens then its eased off then after I hit 40 it started to get bad again. I've been totally stressed out today cos of a letter I daren't open this morning, then it snowed which made me cry - i'm wheelchair user and was trapped in house for 2 weeks last year when we had 8" of snow here.. just in case you think crying over snow is a bit extreme!!

I get frustrated cos if i can't get mobility scooter up drive i cant get dog out for her walk or to shops.. and my monthlies are due next week so there in full swing! :sad: :sad:

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can be paranoid together about the rest of our friends list.. lol! :laugh: