Too sore to sit down

Options
So...I've just started working out about a month ago. I weigh 232 (5'3"), and have met twice with a personal trainer. I've been incredibly sore the days after each work out. That's normal, and it feels good to know that I've pushed myself and that I'm getting stronger.

The question: If I'm sore enough that I'm holding onto tables and counters whenever I sit down, should I continue to do cardio that day? (It's primarily my quads that burn when they're tightened in any way.)

I went ahead and did it yesterday anyway and things loosened up and I didn't feel the pain too much while I was actually working out. That was last night. Today I'm just as sore as I was yesterday. I'm wondering if I'll just keep my muscles from healing if I continue to use them.

Replies

• Lasityttö
    Lasityttö Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well! I went for a good walk yesterday and today I tried jumping rope, but I quit cause it hurt. Should I have just gone on?
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a personal trainer.. ever. So first thing I'd do is speak to your trainer. But in saying that there are trainers here so you'll likely get great advice.

Personally.. When I started riding my legs always wobbled and killed for a couple of days after riding - I only rode once a week and weighed 210 or so lbs. I would go for a walk and stretch my quads (you tube will have a nice stretch for that). Don't 'bounce' when stretching though.. and make sure you are warmed up first. I always found that walking through the pain helped move the muscles and release the lactic acid. You are doing your body good in the long run, and it will get easier.

Well done.