Friends against weightloss??

Options
Has anyone else noticed that their friends are all really excited for you when you say you are going to lose weight and then the moment you actually DO start to lose the weight they are the ones trying to get you to 'be naughty' or accuse you of 'changing' etc???

Or do I just have rubbish mates? Ha

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they have a hard time watching you change while they stay the same. Maybe jealousy, maybe a touch of insecurity. Maybe it's just still a shock to them. If they are real friends, they will come around and congratulate you on all your hard work and results.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yep - and family members too. My husband and son know what I'm up to - but I haven't told anyone else. I just don't want to deal with it.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It does always seem like there is no shortage of people out to sabotage your efforts. It's really up to you to determine if they are worth keeping in your life or if you need to buck them and find people that share your goals and aspirations. That's life.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it right you probably are changing. You're not dining out as much, and if you're hanging out you're not eating fries or lousy foods. You're drinking more water, less soda, and less alcohol. You probably also have a little more self confidence and a lot more energy.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    It does always seem like there is no shortage of people out to sabotage your efforts. It's really up to you to determine if they are worth keeping in your life or if you need to buck them and find people that share your goals and aspirations. That's life.

Agreed. Keep on with a healthy lifestyle and don't care what other people think,
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Don't let others influence your efforts. It is sometimes hard for people to accept change including change in people around them. They may be jealous that you are doing something they can't .. or insecure that you will find "better" friends if you are thin. Just do what you need to do for yourself. Your friends will either straighten up or you will find new and better friends.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    sounds like theyre jelly~
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hahaha thanks Guys and Girls,

Perhaps a cull of my friends is in order in the near future. C'est la vie
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I laugh when I run into someone I haven't seen for a while & they ask how I've lost weight. When I explain I've cut out junk food & replaced it with healthy food their eyes glaze over. That's obviously not what they want to hear, they're looking for an easy way to do it. Not that our way is hard!!

I've had several overweight people telling me great ways to lose weight - HCG drops, magic pills & overpriced exercise machines- I think they say it to show that they KNOW how to lose weight. What would I know? lol

It's all just jealousy & I brush it off. I'm happy with myself
  • kittyraccoon7
    kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    what's funny is my friends and coworkers are the most supportive people... it's my family that isn't. I only have dinner with my mom and sister twice every other week and they laugh when I barely eat anything. They think they make healthy meals, but the meals they make are high in carbs and calories, so I only eat a little bit. My mom will come over with the pan and try to put more on my plate, but I tell her I'm full from a large lunch. I don't think they do it on purpose realizing what I'm trying to do, it's more or less we were never taught how to lose weight before and now that I'm learning what it takes, it's foreign to them. I try to teach them healthier meals, but like a previous person said, their eyes glaze over when I start to talk about healthy foods and my mom will cut me off with some of her 'nutrition studies' from high school/college...
  • deborawrrx
    Options
    Oh man, every time. I stay next door to my 2 best friends.. and they just can't seem to understand how important it is for me to stick to this. They came round to my flat the other day with cookies... COOKIES! I was pretty annoyed, but I didn't give in. And they also seem to like ordering pizza for when i'm coming round.. But again I just ignore it.

The worst part is when we go out to a club, and they will purposefully buy me a shot, or drink whatever and force me to take it. I've caved a few times, but I just tell them to stop.

It's annoying they cant respect my wishes that way, but hopefully it'll get easier as time passes!
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Oh man, every time. I stay next door to my 2 best friends.. and they just can't seem to understand how important it is for me to stick to this. They came round to my flat the other day with cookies... COOKIES! I was pretty annoyed, but I didn't give in. And they also seem to like ordering pizza for when i'm coming round.. But again I just ignore it.

The worst part is when we go out to a club, and they will purposefully buy me a shot, or drink whatever and force me to take it. I've caved a few times, but I just tell them to stop.

It's annoying they cant respect my wishes that way, but hopefully it'll get easier as time passes!

totally knew you were scottish when you said you stay next door.

love me some scottish lingo! x
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    Scottish accent = win!!!!

I feel I can now reveal my secret obsession to hunt down Frankie Boyle and have his babies!
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Luckily my friends and family have all been supportive so far, not trying to feed me pizza etc, but actually accommodating my weight loss efforts by suggesting we make a salad (when cooking together) etc.
    I do not think your problem is very unusual though. Read this article, it may explain why:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/14/health/lose-weight-mouth-shut-secret/index.html
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just dance on their graves.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that their friends are all really excited for you when you say you are going to lose weight and then the moment you actually DO start to lose the weight they are the ones trying to get you to 'be naughty' or accuse you of 'changing' etc???

No I can relate to that one they just don't get it or understand. Sooner or later they will ask me what I am doing and they want to change some do others don't. I try not to let it get to me. But I to have been guilty of it myself when I use to smoke and I had friends who were trying to quiet would ask me for a smoke I wouldn't tell them you quiet I would hand one over and say you twisted my arm. I have been on both ends of it before but I think when it comes to weight people are more jelous of it.
  • blazeybug87
    Options
    Just dance on their graves.

Hahahaha love it!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    >.< What kind of friends and family do you guys have?!? Am I the only one who dont have people force feeding me fried foods or friends who dont support me and my weight loss???
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Nope, you're not the only one, but they may be rubbish as you call them.
    My coworker does it all the time. I support her in her goals and we were supposed to start the 30DS with each other on Wednesday...she still hasn't begun. But the moment I start getting results, she want to go the the gas station and load up on naughty foods. Pisses me off.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    i didn't tell anyone for the first month, then I only told a few close friends and people that I knew would be supportive. After it was really noticeable that I'd lost weight I started acting like it was normal and people were so "proud" of me.. I'm not doing this for anyone but me. I have to do the work, I have to live if I don't. I appreciate the input, I don't care if you like it, I'm doing this for me.
    BUT, by telling people and announcing my goals, I become accountable for my actions. Everyone is watching to see if I'll quit. Now I own my own success.

Everyone that I know now is supportive except my husband doesn't quite know how to deal with this new, self assured, and yes arrogant woman. I love him because he has loved me no matter what size, but I won't tolerate sabotage.

Do this for you. Be proud of you! Gather strength from all the positive people around you. Let us help!