Should I add more B vitamins?

Options
For the first time in my life I am taking a daily multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. I take Centrum Forte, one a day. Someone told me I should be adding more of the 'B' vitamins if I am trying to lose weight. I checked on line and, for what it's worth, my multivitamin meets, and in some cases slightly exceeds, the recommended daily requirements for all the 'B' vitamins.

I don't understand why adding more than the recommended daily amount would make a difference. I always thought that if you exceeded the requirements your body would just get rid of the excess.

So, for those of you who know so much more about these things than I do...would it be beneficial to me to add more of the 'B's'; and if so, what would you recommend. Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "B" vitamins. My Doctor has me on a multi-vitamin and 2000 iu of "D" every day. Plus fish oil but that isn't a vitamin.

I would recommend you discuss upping any vitamins with your physician. Some are not good to have in high doses (even "D" has been noted to be dangerous in extremely high doses which 2000 is is not extremely high even though 500% daily value). Also, body can only absorb so much at a time and excretes the rest out. So they can let you know if you should break up the doses throughout the day.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "B" vitamins. My Doctor has me on a multi-vitamin and 2000 iu of "D" every day. Plus fish oil but that isn't a vitamin.

I would recommend you discuss upping any vitamins with your physician. Some are not good to have in high doses (even "D" has been noted to be dangerous in extremely high doses which 2000 is is not extremely high even though 500% daily value). Also, body can only absorb so much at a time and excretes the rest out. So they can let you know if you should break up the doses throughout the day.

Good point, thanks! :flowerforyou: I didn't even think about the absorption rate, I would have taken it at the same time as my multivitamin.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    B vitamins are necessary for a healthy metabolism, but you may get enough already. However, I personally take a B-complex every day, and notice a difference in my mood and energy if I stop for a while.

The recommendations - the RDA - have a generous window for safety. They're generalized numbers based on averages -- some people can be healthy getting less; some people need more. For supplements, one thing to consider is the TUL (“tolerable upper limit,” the largest daily intake which is unlikely to cause harm) to make sure that you don't exceed that. TUL isn't a concern with micronutrients from food sources, because none have enough of any given nutrient to be toxic.

I don't think there is a single B-complex that is available on the market that exceeds the known TULs for the B vitamins, even in conjunction with a multi. It would be important to not take more in a day than the directions indicate, and checking into the total miligrams you're taking of each (for instance, if your multi contains 15 mgs of niacin, and your B-complex for some reason contains 25 mgs, then that exceeds the TUL for niacin, which is 35 mgs, and you probably shouldn't take them in the same day.)

If you take B vitamins, always take them in a complex - they are meant to work together, and if you supplement just one B vitamin it can throw the others out of whack and cause problems. (Naturally, if your dr recommends a single B, like B12, then that is different.)
  • Collinsky
    Options
    I wanted to add - although I figure it's probably well-known - that the ideal course of action is to increase the foods in your diet that are naturally rich in the B vitamins. No one would argue that B vitamins aren't great for you - they have many functions in your body! Whether or not you should supplement with them is where you'll run into conflicting ideas.

My opinion is that if you feed yourself correctly, no supplements are necessary. I also believe that if you don't (and most don't), then a supplement may become more necessary. And if you haven't for years, making dietary changes may not give you enough of a particular nutrient to bring yourself up to the optimal level of health, in which case adding a supplement may be helpful. I have had my B supplements close to therapeutic levels (which are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than RDA) and feel that that was a very useful part of my regimen toward health.

It's obviously something that varies from individual to individual. Talking to someone who is well-educated in nutrition may help sort it out as it can feel confusing. (Relying on your regular doctor is only helpful if he has studied and has a good understanding of nutrition - not all do!)

But as far as B vitamins go, they are water-soluble, and are among some of the safest vitamins with relatively low potential for toxicity (the main ones to watch out for are B6 and niacin (B3)... whether or not it's something you "need" it is not likely to be something that is harmful to you to try if you feel like it would be useful to you.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your post :flowerforyou: It is good to hear from others who have more knowledge than me. One thing I didn't mention is that I get a B12 shot once a month from my Doctor because my level was so low and I was (am) anemic. I have always been a very poor (make that picky) eater so I'm sure my vitamin levels are quite inadequate. I'm trying to eat a little better and take my multivitamin everyday.
  • Collinsky
    Options
    If you are taking a multi and getting a B12 shot, I would discuss it with him/her before adding any more supplemented B vitamins. However, if you're low in B12, you may also be low in other Bs.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The B vitamins are water soluble instead of fat soluble (A,D,E,K vitamins). Because they are water soluble, it is difficult to overdose on them. Instead, the excess is secreted in your urine. I would talk to your doctor. If he feels you are already getting enough, you would (literally) just be throwing money down the toilet.
  • Krapulator
    Options
    Go to a Doctor and get a blood test. Your Doctor can then tell you if there are any deficiencies that supplements could help with. Otherwise the only thing you are likely to get from taking vitamin supplements is expensive pee!
  • thickmomma0519
    Options
    I personally add b12 and b6 to my daily routine for energy. I find I have more pep in my step when I take them.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor check on those. I am B-12 anemic and have to have monthly shots as well. I also take over 100% RDA in my multi-vitamin, and take sublingual B-12 twice a day and still have trouble getting my numbers up to where the doctor wants them. I also take loads of vitamin D. Unless you live in the tropics, most people are deficient. Just a fact of life. I take something like 10,000% of my RDA. Again, I still have trouble keeping my numbers up! My doctor checks every 3 months.

So, doctor's advice first. Then, whatever makes you feel good! Almost all of my vitamins and supplements are those that my doctor wants me to take. And some she has me double up during the winter months. The only other thing I've added is more vitamin C, which the doctor wanted me to do whenever I'm sick or getting sick.

I must have REALLY expensive pee... :tongue: