Im a bit discouraged!

Options
First, off let me give you a bit of background. I am 22 years old...I just finally moved 2000 miles from home away from mom and dad. I was attending a university that was close to the house, so I stayed at home to keep costs down. I have always been active; however, I am now on my own...eating and cooking and getting the freedom of a parent free atmosphere. I have been pretty good with eating right. A lot of broccli and lean beef, and chicken. I have been drink a lot more than I used 2. I know you all are going to tell me that the beers are 2 blame...I just have gained 15 pounds that what I left home with. I am starting to run in the morning before class and weight train after. I have been doing this for the past week religiously. I have yet to see any drop in weight. I actually went from 191 too 198. I have been 198 for about 3 days.

Basically, I am just frustrated with myself...I am very self conscious, and am unhappy. I have never gotten to this point. I was always the very toned and athletic jock. I just don't know any thing else 2 do.

HELP!

Thanks
Ryan

Replies

• Willbedone
    Options
    First, off let me give you a bit of background. I am 22 years old...I just finally moved 2000 miles from home away from mom and dad. I was attending a university that was close to the house, so I stayed at home to keep costs down. I have always been active; however, I am now on my own...eating and cooking and getting the freedom of a parent free atmosphere. I have been pretty good with eating right. A lot of broccli and lean beef, and chicken. I have been drink a lot more than I used 2. I know you all are going to tell me that the beers are 2 blame...I just have gained 15 pounds that what I left home with. I am starting to run in the morning before class and weight train after. I have been doing this for the past week religiously. I have yet to see any drop in weight. I actually went from 191 too 198. I have been 198 for about 3 days.

Basically, I am just frustrated with myself...I am very self conscious, and am unhappy. I have never gotten to this point. I was always the very toned and athletic jock. I just don't know any thing else 2 do.

HELP!

Thanks
    Ryan
  • shopie
    shopie Posts: 39
    Options
    did you stop the beer??????
  • Willbedone
    Options
    I have cut back considerably...no more beer pong with the frat. I have like 22 oz every other day...maybe.
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    Relax, you didn't gain the weight overnight, you can't expect to loose it that fast either. You really need to take a look at your caloric intake, and I know you've heard it before, but beer is not recommended for weight loss. Not only is it loaded with carbs, but it slows down your metabolism too...Good luck, and hang in their. Best to you always, Rick
  • Willbedone
    Options
    Yea, I defiantly understand. I might as well have 2 nights a week that I can drink....a bit, not a lot!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with an occasional beer, just like there's nothing wrong with an occasional dietary treat :laugh: BUT even every other day can be a bit much depending on how many you're having and how high in calories it is.

One thing you'll really need to quit is the everyday weighing. I know you're weighing everyday because you say you've been at 198 for 3 days. tsk tsk, step away from the scale! You're working yourself up over those damn numbers.

Also please keep in mind that while you may be choosing healthy foods, you still need to focus on portion control. Contrary to popular belief you CAN get fat by eating vegetables if you eat enough of them. Measure and/or weigh all your foods.

most of all be patient!

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think what happened to--was it CARLA on Biggest Loser last night says a lot.

She was doing great on her own--came back as #2 but after working out like a fiend--she GAINED 5 pounds---which Bob (after he picked his jaw up off the floor) put down to stress. I guess he is thinking cortisol levels---which may impede weight loss.

Maybe moving away form home is more stressful than you think.

You CAN have a good time without ANY alcohol. Everybody used to think I was the one drinking---
    I was having such a good time----I was the sober one. I am not bashing drinking--jsut reiterating waht others are saying---EMPTY CALORIES---and in the end YOU are the one not feeling good about yourself.

123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter