How often do you weigh in and measure?

Options
I used to keep myself tied to the scale and measure every day, but quickly found myself getting discouraged. To keep that from happening again I now weigh in every Monday. That way I can see how my eating and working out affects my weight. Also, waiting a month seemed too long to weigh.

However, I do measure myself only once a month. I do so on the last monday of the month. I know the body's weight is constantly changing, but it takes a little longer for the measurements to change.

I was just wondering how often you weigh and measure yourself and why.

P.S.
When I measure I do it to get body fat and lean muscle mass percentages. I know some muscles will get bigger so those are the key things I look at when I measure.

Replies

• whatshewants
    whatshewants Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I measure myself about once every 2-3 weeks. I weigh myself once a week.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I measure once a month, since the numbers would be way too little to do weekly
    I weigh in once a week just to see where I am at
  • docsallen
    docsallen Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I "officially" weigh myself once a week. I am doing the 30DS and measure myself after each level. That said, I randomly weigh myself throughout the week just to see if my weight is trending down.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing every morning after my first pee, just like to keep it consistent. Since I'm getting down to the last 5lbs to lose, it helps if I start to gain more than 2 lbs to keep an eye on things. Plus sometimes if I weigh more, my memory will remember that I ate something with a lot of salt and probably water weight and not to fret. I would say if one has 20+lbs to lose, probably weekly is best. Kinda getting to see a lump sum at the end of the tax season rather than just get it throughout the year :)
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, Monday morning before eating and after the loo - I should have measured myself but I didn't! LOL I might start but not sure yet - not really fussed to be honest as I don't really have a lot to lose as such and just enjoying having more energy ( I have a very busy 2 year old who is currently in the process of dropping his last nap in the day) and feeling my clothes fit better :)
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I have been weighing every morning mostly just to see my fluid balance and how it is affected by what I eat. Plus this helps me when I run a report, because I see how my cycle affects my weight trends. Eventually I'll go back to weekly weights. Thats what I've always done in the past, but this isn't about weight loss so much as gaining a better understanding of my body. I've measured every week so far this year, but I've been losing more that is recommended by eating the bare minimum and not eating back any of my exercise calories. I know this isn't a long term thing so I'm readjusting my calorie goals and will now only measure every 4 weeks.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every day unless I forget. However, I don't get discouraged by what I see on the scale. If I've gained a pound after a weekend of eating unhealthily, it just affirms my need to get back on track. If I've gained a pound for seemingly no reason at all, I just assume it's water weight or somehow related to my menstrual cycle, and don't worry about it.

But if it's too discouraging for you to do it every day, then I'd recommend you to do it less often.

I also only do my measurements once a month or ever two months even. That's a tricky one for me because I'm doing a lot of strength training now, so even though I look thinner, some measurements (like my thighs and biceps) are actually getting bigger or staying the same--but you'd never know it to look at them because they're more toned and muscular.

Generally, my best measurement for weight loss is how my clothes look and feel.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing a pretty strict diet and I weigh myself daily to write the weight on my calendar. Then Sundays are my "official" weigh in and I always post those weights. I measure every week right now, because I want to have detailed data about my measurements and changes. Last week, in one week I lost over 15 inches over my body :D Of course, I found out that about half it went back up because of water retention (which I had expected because my wrist shrunk too) but I still lost about half that in inches in a single week!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I measure once a month, since the numbers would be way too little to do weekly
    I weigh in once a week just to see where I am at

This!
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every night and every morning but only log it once a week on a Monday morning, it helps me to stay focused. If I have a wee gain I know to cut back that day. I get told that it's not a good idea to weigh every day but it works for me.
    I rarely measure, I just go off how my clothes feel :)