Exceeding My Protein Limit

Options
Greetings everyone,

I recently began using myfitnesspal to track my calories. However, I am making little progress with my weight loss. Somehow I always manage to exceed my protein limit. Could this be the reason for my slow weight loss?

Linda

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    No. This site has protein set fairly low according to a lot of calculations. It will not affect your weight loss. The Protein setting is a minimum goal, not maximum.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I recently began using myfitnesspal to track my calories. However, I am making little progress with my weight loss. Somehow I always manage to exceed my protein limit. Could this be the reason for my slow weight loss?

Not likely, as the protein guidelines recommended by MFP are government guidelines for minimum. So good job going over actually!
    Now if you exceed protein by 100 g daily, and therefore the calorie count went 400 over daily goal - yes, that would be a problem, but not with overeating protein, but not cutting something else out to stay at calorie goal.

Normally seen as too low for most, because the protein usually helps satisfy better, and can help with potential muscle breakdown on deficit diets.

Is little progress defined as none, not what you wanted, not what you selected in MFP's choice of goal loss, or other?
  • fit4lka
    Options
    I was hoping since I was new at tracking my calories that I would see a bigger result than I have seen. I was doing Weight Watchers previously. I heard about this web site on a local radio station and I thought I would give it a try. Right now I have reached a plateau and I thought if I try a different method in conjunction with increasing my cardio, I would reap some results.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Right now I have reached a plateau and I thought if I try a different method in conjunction with increasing my cardio, I would reap some results.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/471769-an-easier-way-to-setup-goal-calories-eating-for-who-you-wi
  • ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    if you have been maintaining the same calorie level during your workout, you may need to increase your intake to lose more weight because you have gained lean muscle mass and they burn more calories making your body think it is not getting enough - try raising your calories 4 days a week and keep the same for the other 3 and see what happens - the goal is to not be hungry but not be full.
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great post I was wondering the same thing about my protein overage.
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great post I was wondering the same thing about my protein overage.