Does running actually work ?

Options
124»

Replies

• maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use to be a size 8, now I'm a size 2 and dropped a total of 35 lbs all from running. I average a caloric burn now of 80 calories per mile. I do suggest using a HRM to keep track of your calories burn and increase your protien intake so that u don't lose muscle mass
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Running definitely contributed to my 50 pound loss, but there's more to it than just running. There's eating right, eating at a deficit, and strength training. If you combine all of these, you will DEFINITELY lose weight... but now I just love running and being active which to me is the point of it all anyway!!!
  • arrich02
    Options
    I'm on week 5 of running and I can see the changes. I'm running with 215lbs and havings some pretty uncomfortable knee pain. Any suggestions? I have a pretty good stride and run with my legs under my hips and all attempt to have good body mechanics and all that but... My knees are killing me.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm doing couch to 5k right now. It's been about 5 weeks, and the weight is coming off at a much faster pace now than it was before I started. Before, I was lucky to lose .5 pounds now I'm losing at least 1.5 every week. I do 3 days of the c25k with a little more cardio added on, and then weights mixed in there some place. I haven't gotten the balance workout just yet, but so far so good.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are really interested in running and weight loss get the book racing weight I thnk it's Scott Fitzgerald. But very full of great info for someone who runs.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 of running and I can see the changes. I'm running with 215lbs and havings some pretty uncomfortable knee pain. Any suggestions? I have a pretty good stride and run with my legs under my hips and all attempt to have good body mechanics and all that but... My knees are killing me.

Take the table at the top "Run continuously for 20 min" - http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/JogWalkProgram.html

Print it out, and replace each week # with a weight range of 5 lbs. Make the final week 11 about 10 or 15 lbs above your goal weight, and work backwards from there.
    Now when the weight drops, you move to the next level. Really make the running time decent running, since you'll get recovery time now.

Wouldn't be surprised if you avg time actually works out about the same.

Plus, this gives you some automatic intervals when it will benefit the most. If you run longer than 30 min, then do the next level up to spare the joints some pounding.