Gaining weight while working out and eating smart..

Options
Hey all. I'm new to the forum. Over the last 2 years i've lost ~90 lbs. Over the summer I hit my low of 188lbs. I keep my calorie intake under my limit and I workout 7 days a week. I try for an hour on the weights and 30 min cardio. Over the last few months I've gone up to 198lbs. I haven't changed my workout or eating habits and am curious about the weight gain. Is it muscle, fat or a combo? Having been a heavy fella in the past when i see the scale go up I start to panic a bit...

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• luridpretty
    Options
    From what I hear, it's really hard to gain muscle on a caloric deficit. Are you drinking enough water/cutting down on sodium? Because it could be water retention. I don't think that happens as badly with guys, though...(I know I'm a sixteen year-old girl, but you can trust me because I have an eating disorder and thus I obsessively research this stuff. Haha.)
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You may need to adjust your calories, but it also could be muscle
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    Not trying to push or pry, but you might want to open your diary.

While it is always going to be difficult (if not impossible) for largely untrained observers to offer an accurate explanation of a person's weight gain, seeing what you are eating and how much you are exercising are valuable tools to help offer an opinion as to what might be causing the rapid gain.

Just a thought!

BTW- It is VERY unlikely that the gain is muscle. It is difficult to gain muscle mass and ten pounds is quite a lot.
  • boiler81
    boiler81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try and drink 2.5 to 3 liters of water a day. I don't add any salt to anything I eat. I am just getting going with MFP but I have been using the Lose It app on my iPhone for the longest time and have played around with a few others and they all have different calorie numbers for me...

I work in a camp so I don't have any control of what I can make for my meals but I do pick smart and leave the sweets alone, for the most part lol. But when I'm at home i eat a lot of steak, fish and chicken. It's just frustrating, like I said I haven't changed anything yet my weight is going up..