Is anyone else starving all the time?

Options
I am a 5 foot 10 inch woman who is 40 years old. I weigh 250 lbs and I want to lose 70 or 80 lbs. MFP tells me to eat 1410 calories per day. I have been walking 2 miles a day and I am not eating back those calories. The problem is I am starving all the time. I eat whole wheat toast with peanut butter for breakfast. Greek yogurt and hard boiled egg for lunch and then I eat some meat and veggies for supper. For snacks I will eat fruit. Any ideas of what I should change up. I am so hungry.

Tammy

Replies

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. Eat back your exercise calories as MFP suggests.
  • Diyan
    Diyan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should eat your exercise calories. Also, could you make enough meat and veggies for dinner to have leftovers for breakfast? Having vegetables and eggs for breakfast helps me get through to lunch without being hungry.
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    I agree, eat back your exercise cals. Also, have you set it as losing 1 lb or 2 lbs a week? I would set to 1 lb per week...you might be surprised and lose more anyway despite the "math"! You may want to lose weight fast but if you're hungry all the time, you're never going to be able to sustain this and you'll give up before you get to your goal! Slow and steady wins the race :-)

Also, I would recommend using your exercise cals to add protein to your snacks. Fruit alone can give you a bit of a sugar burst but then you're feeling hungry again. Try apples and peanut butter or something like that.

Stick with it, you'll find your niche and it will get easier.
  • mama_beth
    Options
    For the first two weeks I was starving all the time too...I think my body was readjusting to the calorie change. The fruit could be doing it due to the sugar content. It could be causing your blood sugar to peak and then crash..which will make you hungry. I find that if you stick to meat and lots of veggies you can eat normal size plates of food and it really fills you up!
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    I have an issue with hunger at times. I've been drinking 10-14 oz of water before eating, that helps me feel a bit more fuller. Then drink more water afterwards.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Exerciseee caloriesss :D
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was starving all the time too until I upped my calories a bit (smaller deficit) and on really hungry days, definitely eating those exercise calories back. :)
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would eat back your calories burned (I eat mine back... if I didn't, I would be starving too!)...

Try eating higher fiber food, or more "whole" foods, they will keep you fuller for a longer time, that's what I've been trying lately and it really works. The only time I feel starving is the whole week before my period, other than that, I can feel satisfied with my 1,300 calories + any exercise calories.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. Fill up on vegetables. Drink lots of water (thirst and hunger can often be confused). Avoid sugarry foods like biscuits etc (because it can spike your appetite) and try and get lots of protein.

The way I overcome hunger is that I don't eat sometimes. I skip a meal. Actually I skip two meals. I go without food twice a week for 24 hours at a time.The first time I did that I was hungry for a while. The second time I was hungry a bit less. Now I rarely get hungry.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    On my 14th day here and i haven't had any problems with cravings, binge eating (and I was a junk food addict) or being hungry. My diary is open if you want to check and see if there is anything that would help you. This has been the easiest weight I have ever lost. (Ok so I have only lost 6 pounds so far but still it is a loss.)
  • lisbethhanson
    lisbethhanson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also don't replace the calories I work off. I used to feel hungry quite often but found that if I eat a good sized low calorie breakfast and add a small clementine or small 100 calorie fruit or veggie,it gets me through til lunch. It takes a few days till your stomach gets used to smaller portions but its worth it. Example for breakfast would be a 1/2 cup dry oatmeal (ends up being 1 cup cooked) with a sprinkle of cinnamon/sugar, or even a Thomas' high fiber honey wheat english muffin with two thin slices of ham and 1 egg over easy- either of these are good lower calorie but filling meals. I try to keep with a good food pyramid balance as well- not too much fruit as the sugar goes through me too fast versus veggies-- hope this helps. I lost 9.5 lbs my first month of dieting, but i also keep very busy and workout 5 days a week 1- 1.5 hrs a day.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You might try adding veggies at lunch to help fill you up, and add some protein to your snacks.
  • chasingpavements24
    chasingpavements24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am a 5 foot 10 inch woman who is 40 years old. I weigh 250 lbs and I want to lose 70 or 80 lbs. MFP tells me to eat 1410 calories per day. I have been walking 2 miles a day and I am not eating back those calories. The problem is I am starving all the time. I eat whole wheat toast with peanut butter for breakfast. Greek yogurt and hard boiled egg for lunch and then I eat some meat and veggies for supper. For snacks I will eat fruit. Any ideas of what I should change up. I am so hungry.

Tammy

Would you be able to write down exactly what the calorie intake of each meal is? Unless you are not listing everything you eat, I don't think your meals shouldn't add up to 1410.

Bfast: toast with pb should be about 200 calories,

lunch should be about 220 calories (given that greek yogurt is 150 and egg is 70).

Dinner: I don't know exactly what meat you eat and what kind of oil/butter/sauce you use but say you eat a serving of chicken breast cooked in 1 tsp butter - that's 120 calories. Add about 100 calories for your vegetables - total of 220. Even if you add a sauce or something it would total 300 maybe.

So, so far you have about 720 calories. Add in a fruit or two and you're up to maybe 950.

I also eat about 1400-1600 calories (1200 calories + my exercise calories) and just looking at my journal, I eat WAYYY more than you. And, I measure every single thing I put in my mouth so I know that I'm accurate. My day looks something like this:

8 am: two egg omelet with feta, spinach, and mushrooms + tea + toast

12 pm: salad (romaine, cucumbers, red onion, bell peppers) with chicken breast and hummus

4 pm: ricotta cheese w/ stevia

8 pm: frozen meal or veggies w/ rice and yogurt

10 pm: tea + 2 cookies

My diet is in NO WAY perfect, but for the most part, I'm not going over my calories and am getting all my healthy fats and vegetables. I think that you're maybe underestimating your calories or maybe choosing calorie-dense foods (sugary yogurt, sauce on your meat, too much pb, etc).
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat back your exercise cals, the 1420 Mfp gives you already includes the deficit so by not eating back exercise you create too large a deficit which is not healthy. What you have listed as your days food looks way less than 1420, check the entries you use from database are correct, and get a food scale if you don't have one already.

I guess you are set at 2lb /week, 1420 seems really low for your weight and height? Try lowering to 1.5 that won't add too long onto the time it takes you to lose the same amount of weight, but you won't be hungry and miserable the whole time as you will get another 250 cals a day and probably 250 from your exercise too.

I'm 5'4, 219 lbs and losing 1-2 lbs a week on 1740. That's with no exercise at all as I'm injured at the minute ! When I started at 244lbs I was on 1900 cals and losing the same.

The type of food you choose depends how hungry you are too, even if its healthy and contains the same cals! I find if I have a cold breakfast like cereal and fruit I'm starving pretty much straight away, if I have oatmeal and fruit it fills me up for hours. Same with dinner, salad makes me hungry, soup fills me up. My diary is open if you want a look x