Awareness and Feeling Better Again!

Options
I recently began using MFP and I find it extremely educational. For about a year I was vegetarian with wonderful results. I lost my job and moved to Wisconsin, living in a hotel for a month before I brought up my family. The vegetarian lifestyle went out the window. With all the good cheese and long winters, I put the weight back plus about another 20 lbs. If felt horrible for the weight gain and that I had broken my personal commitment to stick to a healthy lifestyle.

I recently got back into a healthier lifestyle. MFP helps me to be self aware of my habits on a daily basis and also what is going into my mouth. I like being vegetarian - it just agrees with me. I feel better. However, I am learning everyday that "no meat" does not mean healthy. For example, figure the fat calories in the 2 to 3 ladles of salad dressing people put on the salads at some of the local buffets. They probably would be better off eating a fat steak!

I look forward to the support and reading member's posts as we strive towards our goals!

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I can't resist cheese at all. That is my downfall. I've had to learn to fit it in my diet plan. I don't know what I would do if I had real Wisconsin cheese...the good stuff.
  • Scottnichola
    Options
    Actually the cheese in Wisconsin is amazing. I had 15 year old aged cheddar one time - it was better than candy. Some of the stores up there have several hundred choices of cheese, not like the regular choices where you may get about 20 or so. My real motivation for getting back down is to feel better and be here longer for my loved ones. I still have a long way to go, hopefully, but I want my quality of life to be high and enjoyable, not on HBP medication or common surgeries that follow bad diets (angioplasty, etc).