how much weight loss is too much?

Options
soooooo i started my official exercise and reduced calorie diet last week...i weighed in monday night at the gym, 245. i weighed today at 235.6. i am doing cardio-interval training 22 minutes, twice a day. once in the morning, walking and jogging. at night on the treadmill, walking and jogging.
i've done some weight training 4 of those days too. i do some abdominal work twice a day too. i only exercised once friday and saturday, taking sunday off.
i am eating less than 1500 calories and no less than 1200 calories per day...i have entirely more energy than i've had in years and i feel GREAT! no bonking...no lightheadedness... i used to kickbox, i've always had a thick muscular frame. but haven't trained for that in over 12 years.
if it's possible i am certain i have lost a lot of muscle to fat... i should weigh 135...i've not been below 165 since i was a teenager...165 was a nice bmi, good fighting weight, healthy size for me...
i'm also taking lecithin twice a day and an extra niacin supplement at night with my multivitamin...i drink at least 8 cups of water a day, if not a little bit more...
i'm a little freaked out, it feels like it's too much to loose...BUT it's great. sooooooo is that really too much?

Replies

• dksmom
    dksmom Posts: 11
    Options
    soooooo i started my official exercise and reduced calorie diet last week...i weighed in monday night at the gym, 245. i weighed today at 235.6. i am doing cardio-interval training 22 minutes, twice a day. once in the morning, walking and jogging. at night on the treadmill, walking and jogging.
    i've done some weight training 4 of those days too. i do some abdominal work twice a day too. i only exercised once friday and saturday, taking sunday off.
    i am eating less than 1500 calories and no less than 1200 calories per day...i have entirely more energy than i've had in years and i feel GREAT! no bonking...no lightheadedness... i used to kickbox, i've always had a thick muscular frame. but haven't trained for that in over 12 years.
    if it's possible i am certain i have lost a lot of muscle to fat... i should weigh 135...i've not been below 165 since i was a teenager...165 was a nice bmi, good fighting weight, healthy size for me...
    i'm also taking lecithin twice a day and an extra niacin supplement at night with my multivitamin...i drink at least 8 cups of water a day, if not a little bit more...
    i'm a little freaked out, it feels like it's too much to loose...BUT it's great. sooooooo is that really too much?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    soooooo i started my official exercise and reduced calorie diet last week...i weighed in monday night at the gym, 245. i weighed today at 235.6. i am doing cardio-interval training 22 minutes, twice a day. once in the morning, walking and jogging. at night on the treadmill, walking and jogging. i've done some weight training 4 of those days too. i do some abdominal work twice a day too. i only exercised once friday and saturday, taking sunday off. i am eating less than 1500 calories and no less than 1200 calories per day...i have entirely more energy than i've had in years and i feel GREAT! no bonking...no lightheadedness... i used to kickbox, i've always had a thick muscular frame. but haven't trained for that in over 12 years. if it's possible i am certain i have lost a lot of muscle to fat... i should weigh 135...i've not been below 165 since i was a teenager...165 was a nice bmi, good fighting weight, healthy size for me... i'm also taking lecithin twice a day and an extra niacin supplement at night with my multivitamin...i drink at least 8 cups of water a day, if not a little bit more...i'm a little freaked out, it feels like it's too much to loose...BUT it's great. sooooooo is that really too much?

let me give you a friendly hint about posting...not being rude ...trying to help

when posting something longer than 3 sentences,,,break your post up into paragraphs so it is easier to read here with this small type...you will get a bigger audience
    good luck
    Dave
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    When you have a lot to lose and start a brand new fitness rutine it can come off quick. Make sure you're eating enough to balence out your workout and great job!
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    In the beginning your weight can come off quickly! Especially since you are trying to lose 100+ pounds. Lots of people will tell you you had water weight to lose and that is probably very true. Love it while it happens because you wont lose 10 pounds a week every week!

Congrats on the great progress! If that's not motivationing, what is?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Was the weight taken in the morning before you ate on both occassions? Our bodies do fluctuate weight wise from day to day and hour to hour. Also like stef said it will come off quick the first week or so. If this continues to be a trend you may need to consult your physician.

Congrats on the 10lbs!!
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Great work!! Yes, as the other ladies said, the weight does come off fast at first! You're off to an amazing start though!!! Keep up your routine!
  • dksmom
    Options
    soooooo i started my official exercise and reduced calorie diet last week...i weighed in monday night at the gym, 245. i weighed today at 235.6. i am doing cardio-interval training 22 minutes, twice a day. once in the morning, walking and jogging. at night on the treadmill, walking and jogging. i've done some weight training 4 of those days too. i do some abdominal work twice a day too. i only exercised once friday and saturday, taking sunday off. i am eating less than 1500 calories and no less than 1200 calories per day...i have entirely more energy than i've had in years and i feel GREAT! no bonking...no lightheadedness... i used to kickbox, i've always had a thick muscular frame. but haven't trained for that in over 12 years. if it's possible i am certain i have lost a lot of muscle to fat... i should weigh 135...i've not been below 165 since i was a teenager...165 was a nice bmi, good fighting weight, healthy size for me... i'm also taking lecithin twice a day and an extra niacin supplement at night with my multivitamin...i drink at least 8 cups of water a day, if not a little bit more...i'm a little freaked out, it feels like it's too much to loose...BUT it's great. sooooooo is that really too much?

let me give you a friendly hint about posting...not being rude ...trying to help

when posting something longer than 3 sentences,,,break your post up into paragraphs so it is easier to read here with this small type...you will get a bigger audience
    good luck
    Dave

thank you...i edited to include paragraphs...
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    As long as you're feeling good, keep it up and see what happens next week. If you lose more than 5 pounds again, see a doc to check your blood and boost your calories a bit.
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    my first 14 pounds came off in 10 days---but it got slower after that.

I set my goal at 2 pounds a week and marked off weights on my calendar.

I have met April's goal so I am 4 weeks ahead of schedule but I used to be 7 weeks ahead---soooo I think the quick loss at first is a great motivator but don't take it for granted.

CONGRATS and KEEP MOVING
    123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • dksmom
    Options
    thanks guys...i expected water weight...just didn't know it would be that much.

i just panicked a little bit...i want this weight to stay gone!

thanks for the posts!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    did you weigh in both times on the same scale? You said the first was at the gym and you didn't say where the second was. If it was different scales there could be a discrepancy- my gym scale weighs me 4 lbs heavier than my home one.

When you lose weight that quickly it is almost all water weight- likely from a switch to lower sodium foods. Don't let that idscourage you though, that's still a good thing, a high sodium diet is hard on your heart and causes major water retention (bloating).

Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    my first 14 pounds came off in 10 days---but it got slower after that.

I set my goal at 2 pounds a week and marked off weights on my calendar.

I have met April's goal so I am 4 weeks ahead of schedule but I used to be 7 weeks ahead---soooo I think the quick loss at first is a great motivator but don't take it for granted.

CONGRATS and KEEP MOVING
    123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

tennietubbie...is that picture of your cat?!? he is smiling! what a funny picture, it made me laugh out loud at work. i LOVE it :happy:
  • dksmom
    Options
    yep, same scale-same time of day...i'm sure it's water weight...like i said i just kinda panicked for a second...thank you!