Dunkin Donut Commercial

Options
Is anybody else disgusted by the new Dunkin Donuts commercial? (Youtube link to the commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOydrJgmO_k )

If you haven't seen it. Three kids are sitting in front a a TV and begin to be tractor-beamed to the television set. The dad comes into the room and says "Hey, guys, I got Dunkin Donuts', which then breaks the TV's tractor-beams and the family of 5 sits down to a box of a dozen Dunkin Donuts.

Isn't it wonderful when a father can break his kids away from the TV long enough to let them shovel a few doughnuts down there throats?

And this commercial on after a news segment about childhood obesity in America getting dangerously close to 40%.

Just some food for thought...

Replies

• FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Is anybody else disgusted by the new Dunkin Donuts commercial? (Youtube link to the commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOydrJgmO_k )

If you haven't seen it. Three kids are sitting in front a a TV and begin to be tractor-beamed to the television set. The dad comes into the room and says "Hey, guys, I got Dunkin Donuts', which then breaks the TV's tractor-beams and the family of 5 sits down to a box of a dozen Dunkin Donuts.

Isn't it wonderful when a father can break his kids away from the TV long enough to let them shovel a few doughnuts down there throats?

And this commercial on after a news segment about childhood obesity in America getting dangerously close to 40%.

Just some food for thought...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    They're just trying to appeal to the masses...which, unfortunately, are comprised of overweight, donut-loving, TV-obsessed, lazy kids.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    They're just trying to appeal to the masses...which, unfortunately, are comprised of overweight, donut-loving, TV-obsessed, lazy kids.

Hey, I resemble that remark... except I'm no kid anymore! LOL
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Nuh uh! You are none of those things (maybe donut loving, but I love donuts too. Who doesnt??) :love:
    You are here on MFP being healthy and active. :flowerforyou:
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options

Wow~

Ok...breathing...

I teach nutrition to low income kids and you are so way off base!

I just wrapped up a five session series with our local Boys and Girls Club, and let them choose a topic for their final session. We made a video. Two actually, the first one was a commercial the kids wrote and produced about the foods they wish their parents would buy and how they could encourage their families to be active together. These are 9 to 12 year old kids who came up with this on their own! The second video is a ha ha funny segment of them respectfully immitating the club staff and their horrible eating habits, ending with a plea to set a better example.

Kids want to eat well! There was nearly a fist fight over honey dew mellon at one session because they had never had it and they were arguing over who had more when seconds were being dished up!!! Kids aren't able to shop for themselves! They aren't provided fresh, healthy foods at home or at school.

Anyone who actually spends time talking to kids about what they want for themselves in terms of nutrition and physical activity would disagree with you. I've been working with kids ages 4 (head start) to 12 for two years and I assure you, American children are not donut loving, TV obsessed, or lazy!!! Their parents and other adults who have the authority to make important desisions for them are.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Wow~

Ok...breathing...

I just wrapped up a five session series with our local Boys and Girls Club, and let them choose a topic for their final session. We made a video. Two actually, the first one was a commercial the kids wrote and produced about the foods they wish their parents would buy and how they could encourage their families to be active together. These are 9 to 12 year old kids who came up with this on their own! The second video is a ha ha funny segment of them respectfully immitating the club staff and their horrible eating habits, ending with a plea to set a better example.

Kids want to eat well! There was nearly a fist fight over honey dew mellon at one session because they had never had it and they were arguing over who had more when seconds were being dished up!!! Kids aren't able to shop for themselves! They aren't provided fresh, healthy foods at home or at school.

Anyone who actually spends time talking to kids about what they want for themselves in terms of nutrition and physical activity would disagree with you. I've been working with kids ages 4 (head start) to 12 for two years and I assure you, American children are not donut loving, TV obsessed, or lazy!!! Their parents and other adults who have the authority to make important desisions for them are.

Okay, their parents are lazy and donut loving, and they are the unfortunate victims of their parents' poor choices.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm donuts............
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    that's horrible! :noway:
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    freaky: I almost never ever watch tv but it's on tonight in the background while i'm on the computer. i just was reading your post on this commercial and then, simultaneously, that commercial came on the TV. What a coincidence. oooooiiieeee ooooooiiieee.
  • butterflydiva
    Options
    Honestly every time I see that commercial it just makes me want a donut :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I was thinking that and thought............wait! I havent seen the commercial...........must have been at the gym!! :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Wow~

Ok...breathing...

Okay, their parents are lazy and donut loving, and they are the unfortunate victims of their parents' poor choices.

Ya know, as a parent of children that became overweight, I was going to get really angry here.

But then I thought..............Oh YEAH...YOU bought the dang food!!

I bought what they would eat. Then at some point decided to put a bowl of fruit on the table. NO chips in the house. Fruit bowl was filled and thrown out 3x in as many weeks. By the 3rd week, and with much complaint over no chips in the house, the fruit magically disappeared.

We do need to make better choices for our kids in our homes.Start young. I was a preschool teacher to under 2s mostly from court ordered situations. Those kids loved the fruit, veggies and good foods we fed them. Mom would bring a bag of cheetos and they went into the garbage. Never had a child have a fit over that!!

Good topic!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Honestly every time I see that commercial it just makes me want a donut :smile:

theres one commercial about NOT eating the doughnut...............it is a raised doughnut with choc frosting and sprinkles..............and I want one everytime sh kicks it to peices on the screen!!!

I was driving home with my oldest son one day. Said OH I am stopping for a Michelob. He said :noway: you dont drink beer!! I said weird, I want one really bad.

He pointed out the last commercial on the radio was a Mich Light commercial!!!

Been careful ever since!!
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    That's awful... :frown: Companies will do anything for a dollar these days. Even if it means ruining childrens' lives in the long run.
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options

Wow~

Ok...breathing...

Ya know, as a parent of children that became overweight, I was going to get really angry here.

I bought what they would eat. Then at some point decided to put a bowl of fruit on the table. NO chips in the house. Fruit bowl was filled and thrown out 3x in as many weeks. By the 3rd week, and with much complaint over no chips in the house, the fruit magically disappeared.

We do need to make better choices for our kids in our homes.Start young. I was a preschool teacher to under 2s mostly from court ordered situations. Those kids loved the fruit, veggies and good foods we fed them. Mom would bring a bag of cheetos and they went into the garbage. Never had a child have a fit over that!!

Good topic!!

So many parents THINK they are buying what their kids will eat and honestly, we just don't give kids enough credit. So many times I've had parents say "my child won't eat that" in front of the child! Well of course your child won't eat it now! My sister does that. She'll tell me her children will only eat chicken nuggets and PB&J. Funny, at my house her toddler ate baby spinach!!!

Good for you for changing your children's lives by giving them good choices! Good health is the single most important thing we can help our children obtain. A college education is pretty useless if you are so obese you can't work anyway!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Wow~

Ok...breathing...

Good topic!!

So many parents THINK they are buying what their kids will eat and honestly, we just don't give kids enough credit. So many times I've had parents say "my child won't eat that" in front of the child! Well of course your child won't eat it now! My sister does that. She'll tell me her children will only eat chicken nuggets and PB&J. Funny, at my house her toddler ate baby spinach!!!

Good for you for changing your children's lives by giving them good choices! Good health is the single most important thing we can help our children obtain. A college education is pretty useless if you are so obese you can't work anyway!

My mom does the same thing with my little sister. She always tells everyone how picky she is, how she only eats lunch meat and chips, how she doesn't like her cooking. Part of that is due to the fact that, for years, my mom would give in to her demands and let her have happy meals and junk all teh time. The other part is due to the fact that my mom is always telling HER how picky she is. She eats my stepmom's cooking without complaint, and it ranges from very German to very Italian and everything in between. Kids will imprint whatever they're told or see.