Is this a normal sensation from running?

Options
Hi everyone,
Last summer I started having some strange symptoms, and ended up seeing a neurologist and having a full head & spine MRI, some EEG's, and a myriad of blood tests for everything under the sun. I was told absolutely everything was fine. Some of the other symptoms are gone, and I only have two major symptoms that remain a mystery. Mostly it's pins and needles sensations, which are periodic, random, and although usually short-lived, can last up to a few days. I also still have random fasciculations (kind of like tremors or jumpy little repeated muscle spasms) throughout my body, usually lasting just a few seconds, and usually less than 5 a day, but sometimes strong enough you can see isolated muscles "jump" under my clothes. While I've been thoroughly checked over, and this neurologist and my family doctor seem unconcerned, I'm still monitoring the situation because it's still bothersome.

Anyway, I started on MFP 3 weeks ago, and have lost 15 lbs thus far. I am logging, eating better, and working out. I am occasionally doing aerobics, and lifting weights, but my favourite thing to do is run on a treadmill. I am not an experienced runner, and am trying to learn more and get better at it, but I enjoy it, and it seems to be helping me for now. I have this one strange thing that happens when I run, though, and I don't know whether this is a normal thing that comes with running, or whether this is a neurological thing I need to add to my "watch list".

So this is my question: Is is normal to feel, either during running, or more usually up to a good half hour after running, like there are crackles all over your thighs, just under your skin? I don't feel it so much deeper in my muscles, but more just under the skin's surface. I only feel it in my legs. It's not a burning, or tingling sensation; more like hundreds of little spiders zooming all over under my skin.

I'm so embarassed at how little running experience I have - maybe I should know this, but I have to ask: Is this is a normal running thing, and if so, is there anything to do, or do you just ride it out?

Replies

• santamommy
    Options
    before I gained all of my weight I use to run all the time and long distance. The only thing I remember experiencing were tingling needles in my feet after I sit down for a while and I think that was from my shoes.. I am getting ready to start again and not sure if I should get more weight off of me first being in the 250's. I know that walking you triple your body weight and that is the impact your feet and knees are taking. So, I am wondering if running is the same or more? As your loose weight see if you notice the symptoms being more or less and write them down and if it continues to bother you take your notes to the doctor.
  • meycay
    meycay Posts: 29
    Options
    I work with a girl that runs every morning for miles and miles... she preps for marathons etc. I'm going to ask her. Even if you get your answer i'd like to know now since running is one of my eventual goals. LOL
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I get that same crackly sensation when I do high impact cardio, usually lasts up to about 30 minutes and comes and goes. I always thought it was due to the increased blood flow from exercising, it goes away itself so doesnt really bother me :)
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    I agree with Santa about keeping notes of your symptoms and then take them to a doctor, especially given your medical history; however, if it is not happening after doing aerobics, then it might be because of the running. It might benefit you (if you didn't already) to go to an athletic or running store, and make sure you have a proper running shoe first. And then (if you can afford it), go to a gym and talk to a trainer. They will be able to help teach you how to run properly, and how to stretch before and after. Good luck with your weight loss, and I hope that you can continue to work out.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    How's your anxiety level?
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If I jog or run, my legs get super itchy and crawly because the blood is brought to the legs to fuel your muscles.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Have you had your calcium levels checked?

Those symptoms sound similar to what my wife had before she was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism (short story: low calcium).
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I get those popping, crackling feelings too. Usually goes away about 30 minutes afterwards. I was hoping it was the fat cells bursting because I just had a great workout...but alas, it wasn't. :cry:

That popping feeling is called Fasciculation. When you work your muscles they contract and the blood vessels dilate. When you are done exercising and your body is returning to a normal state the twitching can occur. It should go away shortly after you finish your workout. This is normal after a good walk or jog..and usually sitting to rest. The feeling results in a "popcorn" feeling at the skins surface.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I understand the getting all the tests done and they can't find anything wrong. I have experienced my right arm shaking uncontrollable and have my body act if I'm haveing a stoke with numbness at loss of speech. But the tests showed I was fine, it starts with a pain in the same spot in my head. I just deal with them and tell people when I'm going though it, I'm fine.
    As for your running that is great and I get the ichy feelings after running at times.
  • lonestarlada
    lonestarlada Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi again,
    I have no anxiety, and while I'm a busy single mom with an awesome but busy job, life is good. I think I'm just a bit paranoid because of the neurological stuff in the past. (My right leg would give out and I used to fall over walking, fall down stairs; my right arm was completely numb for a week; I was having pain in my left eye and seeing white spots, on and off. Wicked headaches where it would feel like I was getting hit with an ice pick, every few minutes, over the span of hours...Oh,and the pins and needles I still get would be in either my arms or legs and last for days and days - continuously - and even massage therapy couldn't make it go away.) I was tested for calcium, thyroid, vitamin D, lyme disease, you name it (I have awesome health benefits...) All was fine. I still get fasciculations but usually when I'm relaxed. Never when I'm running. I might have a muscle in the palm of my hand start jumping, or a weird muscle near the top of my shoulder, etc...odd little isolated muscles...not major muscles...and usually muscles I could never isolate on my own (or didn't even know I had!)...

After my second fall, I hit my head really hard on an oak newel post when falling down the stairs and was unconcious for over an hour. So the latest thinking is that these might just be post-concussion symptoms that are gradually wearing off.

As for this new sensation, it might just be a circulatory thing, and completely normal. I am just on watch because of the freaky other stuff, and this is new...but the only other thing new in my life is running, so it would make sense it's connected, (?)
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have that right now... I didn't get it on my other runs but it was really cold out today and I discovered the pants I have are not good for really cold. my legs were numb when I got in and now I have that feeling you described.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If it is not neurological, perhaps it is an issue of diet. Have you seen a nutritionist about this?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I had that same sensation when I started walking regularly, especially if I didn't stretch afterwards. I could actually see the muscles jumping in my thighs, like little Mexican jumping beans. Once I was in better physical condition, that went away.
  • ruthechesney
    ruthechesney Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and sometimes (depending on the length of run) the sensations I feel. So i would say it is normal. I have been running for about 1 1/2 years and have ran 3 half marathons.Make sure you are taking a multivitamin:)
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: WALK, WALK, WALK, MEDITATE...AND WALK SOME MORE...

PROVEN FACT THAT WALKING (NOT RUNNING) IS THE BEST EXERCISE.
    (VISUALLY IMPAIRED)