can you cook with soy milk?

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
I bought some to make a sugar free pudding, but it didn't ever set up. Was that the soy milk or the sugar free pudding mix?
Can you use soy milk in soups? How about cooking?

Replies

• Georg
    Options
    I bought some to make a sugar free pudding, but it didn't ever set up. Was that the soy milk or the sugar free pudding mix?
    Can you use soy milk in soups? How about cooking?
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    you can... but i really don't think it would work too well especially in any baking. Try checking out vegan baking recipes and see what they say.
  • maemalcy
    maemalcy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i've never done it before... but soy milk is just as good as it is... :wink:

81578.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have used soymilk and almond milk in baking things such as banana bread, cookies, etc. and it works wonderfully! however, I've never used it in pudding or anything similar to that.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Also...I would think it would work in soups. The flavor may be just a little different than if you used milk.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it doesn't work in pudding but it works in just about everything else I've tried it with.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I know it doesn't mix well in hot coffee... :grumble: :sick: Found that one out the hard way... it became like cottage cheese coffee with an oil slick over the top. :sick:
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    Almond milk = best for soups (I used to work at a whole foods market's restaurant)
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond breeze for my pudding, and it works beautifully.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Soy milk works just fine in pudding, and in all baking. I use it regularly for bread, pancakes, muffins, whatever I'm baking (my housemate is lactose intolerant so we tend to not have regular milk in the house).

I've also made pudding with it a couple times, though each time was with instant pudding, not the cooked kind. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Great Info! I've always wondered if I could cook with it, but I've been hesitant to try. However, I'm allergic to milk so this will definietly help me. Thanks!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Soy milk works just fine in pudding, and in all baking. I use it regularly for bread, pancakes, muffins, whatever I'm baking (my housemate is lactose intolerant so we tend to not have regular milk in the house).

I've also made pudding with it a couple times, though each time was with instant pudding, not the cooked kind. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

I could never get it to work with instant pudding. Which kind did you use? And did you use less milk or something?
  • msarro
    Options
    I just used regular jell-o no cook instant pudding. We were using.. banana I think? It was for a banana cream pie. We were most likely using unsweetened silk... drawing from memory so it may be off a bit. We followed all of the measurements on the box. Maybe it was because we were using banana? :ohwell:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I have a box of Sugar Free Lemon pudding and the box says NOT to use soy milk or the pudding will not set.
    The regular box doesn't say this so maybe you just can't use it with sugar-free.:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Options
    Thank you.
    Where do they keep almond milk at the store? I've never noticed it.
    Refrigerated or not?
  • msarro
    Options
    Thank you.
    Where do they keep almond milk at the store? I've never noticed it.
    Refrigerated or not?

Usually not refrigerated (doesn't need it til its opened). Its usually with the unrefrigerated soymilk, hemp milk, oat milk, etc. Check your organic section if there is one. It can be hard to find sometimes... here's a picture!

31RXKS5GAWL._SL500_AA220_.jpg
  • Tizzle23
    Tizzle23 Posts: 59
    Options
    I cook with it I have never made pudding tho. I use it in mac n cheese and mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs anything that requires milk
  • Georg
    Options
    thanks!