Breathing while running

Options
For some reason when I try to run, treadmill or outside, I seem to have a problem with becoming short of breath. It's like I get light headed, have a hard time talking, etc. I can do ellipticals, stair master, and P90X workouts without having the breathing issue. Is there anyone else out there with a similar problem? I really, really, want to be able to run a 5K, particularly the Warrior Dash. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I'm considering going to the doctor to see if it may be asthma, but I think if it were asthma it would bother me at other times.

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. If you get side stiches, exhale when your left foot hits the ground.
  • VoicelessRide
    VoicelessRide Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Try and breathe a deeper when running,
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have that problem when I run outside. I can breathe just fine inside, but outside.,. 5 seconds of running and I'm dying! When I was doing this program I was doing it outside so I was having a very hard time with it. I think the only thing that helped me was my boyfriend running at my pace and when I would start panting he would start breathing so I could hear it so I would match his breathing. You could still hear the trembling in my breathing but it really helped. You really just have to focus on the breathing more than anything.

I was tested for asthma when I was in middle school and they told me I didn't have it but that my lungs weren't functioning right or something. They gave me an inhaler which helped a lot, only I never went back for another one after it was gone.