Religious fasting for 2 meals?

Options
For religious reasons, I fast once a month for 2 meals (breakfast and lunch).. Will this set back my progress? If so, will it only set it back for that day or longer?

Replies

• ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I just finished a Daniel fast for 12 days. I lost 2 lbs. My only concern is that it may all be muscle because I was consuming such low amount of protien. I would say just do really well when you are eating and give your body what it needs
  • I am a Latter Day Saint and fast two meals once a month also. I have seen no adverse affects as long as when I DO eat, staying on the plan and eating sensibly as I always try to do is best!! Most times, I even lose more weight than expected. Good Luck! Happy Sunday :)
  • kikilareggae
    kikilareggae Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It'sLessofMe- Thanks! That makes sense. :)
  • kikilareggae
    Options
    MissAngelacha- Me, too! Notice how I'm posting this before I go to bed so I know what my plan is tomorrow, haha! ;) Happy Sunday to you, too! :)
  • feel free to add me if you like :) Goodnight!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with short periods of fasting. Actually, it's good for you and can aid fat loss, I do 2x24 hour fasts twice a week.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    for the last 15 years, I've fasted quite a bit for religious reasons, and I don't think the two meals twice a month will hurt you nutritionally (I do that once a week).

What I do find that hurts me for losing weight is that at the beginning of every year, we do a series of 3 day fasts (just water/herbal tea), and by the end of THAT my metabolism is usually quite messed up that it takes a month or so for my system to get back to normal.

Hope that helps.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. The experts agree short-term fasting is safe, and say 'starvation mode' doesn't normally start until about 72 hours (3 days) of unhealthy under-eating...

Best wishes

David
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    It's not going to hurt anything :D There are some people that follow an 'intermittent fasting' plan specifically because there's some evidence that it helps with weight loss (one of my MFP friends is doing it). And there are many that intentionally eat one or two big meals a day instead of several.

I am also LDS, but will not be fasting- I'm under doctor's orders not to skip meals, not because of any worry that it will mess up my metabolism, but because I've been having random dizzy spells and ... well... yah. They tend to happen when I don't eat.
  • AllezCheryl45
    AllezCheryl45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've fasted for religious reasons also, but I recently came across info from a friend I met on here about a book called Eat Stop Eat, which gives details about how fasting is good for the body, how it affects the body and about fasting's benefits. Here's a link to read more about it : http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Eat Stop Eat.pdf
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    For religious reasons, I fast once a month for 2 meals (breakfast and lunch).. Will this set back my progress? If so, will it only set it back for that day or longer?

I fast 16 hours a day and am in great shape!

Do you know what happens to your body when you fast?
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What I do find that hurts me for losing weight is that at the beginning of every year, we do a series of 3 day fasts (just water/herbal tea), and by the end of THAT my metabolism is usually quite messed up that it takes a month or so for my system to get back to normal.

Anyone reading this would probably think, "wow, she must lose a lot of weight that way," but actually, I typically gain weight during Jan. I think it's that starvation effect. Many people in my church do lose weight, though. The only reason I lost a few pounds this year is that I was training for a half marathon (ran last week) something I normally would NOT do during this time of fasting.
  • kikilareggae
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! I'm still learning about "starvation mode" and etc. This is good stuff!
  • kikilareggae
    Options
    I've fasted for religious reasons also, but I recently came across info from a friend I met on here about a book called Eat Stop Eat, which gives details about how fasting is good for the body, how it affects the body and about fasting's benefits. Here's a link to read more about it : http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Eat Stop Eat.pdf

Thanks for the link! Very interesting...
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I would like to know. What happens to the body?
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    as the lord says fasting is good for the soul and teaches us about humility and sacrifice. you will be fine dont forget the water lol
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

I have read that short term fasting increases your RMR and about 16-36 hours into a fast you start burning more fat.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

I have read that short term fasting increases your RMR and about 16-36 hours into a fast you start burning more fat.

This is correct.
    IF also decreases insulin levels but increases insulin sensitivity!
    Low level insulin inhibits a2-receptors and activates b-2 receptors.
    IF has shown in studies that subjects have increased HGH or Human Growth Hormones while they sleep.
    Example:
    At some point in the morning after you wake up and run around the house a bit, your body will use up the last of the glycogen in your system and thus look for another fuel source.
    FAT!
    Intermittent fasting also increases blood flow to the abdomen and helps with mobilizing fat.
    I dont run but my body fat goes down!

The trick is keeping the fast between 14-18 hours.
    At some point between 12-20 hours of fasting your body starts targeting intramuscular fat and we dont want to screw with our muscles!

My routine is:
    At 10pm have a huge bowl of wonderful cereal!
    1cup honeynut cheerios
    1cup of some whole grain cereal
    1/5 cup almond milk
    1 scoop Hydro whey
    appx 400-500 calories.

I then sleep like a baby because I know that eating before bed is a myth and it actually levels out your insulin for the night and keeps you asleep!
    I beat insomnia by doing this BTW! Had it since I was a freshman in HS!
    Overnight my food is healing muscles and giving me nutrients.
    After 8 hours of sleep I get up and have tea.
    Hit the heavy weights for 20-40 mins and finish off whatever glycogen is in my system.
    Now my body is fueled by my fat stores.
    After my workout I drink a BCAA mix so mu muscles can give each other High 5s!
    At 2pm I eat Breakfast and sometimes lunch like today! 1000 calories!
    Since I dont fast when I'm off with my wife i'll be having a HUGE bowl of cereal at 11:30pm.

January 1st I was at 15% BF eating 2500 calories daily. <---My maintenance TDEE.
    On the 15th I cut 20% from TDEE to drop fat and maintain lean mass.
    Ive lost another 1% in body fat in 2 weeks but havent lost weight because I lift heavy 3 times a week,

www.leangains.com for more info.
    Martin Berkhan is a pioneer in health and fitness and so far this stuff works!