Work-Out Hair Help

Options
Hello all,

I've started going to the gym before work this week and doing 1 hour of cardio on the elliptical machine. I'm a sweater, so after I'm done I HAVE TO wash my hair. The problem is that before I started trying to lose weight, I would wash my hair every other day TOPS in order to keep it from drying out and getting split ends. Plus it takes a long time to do. Now I'm washing it after each work-out and I have to blow dry it in order to arrive at work without wet hair. I'm afraid that I'm damaging my hair. Any advice?

Replies

• e11xoxo
    e11xoxo Posts: 86
    Options
    Hello all,

I've started going to the gym before work this week and doing 1 hour of cardio on the elliptical machine. I'm a sweater, so after I'm done I HAVE TO wash my hair. The problem is that before I started trying to lose weight, I would wash my hair every other day TOPS in order to keep it from drying out and getting split ends. Plus it takes a long time to do. Now I'm washing it after each work-out and I have to blow dry it in order to arrive at work without wet hair. I'm afraid that I'm damaging my hair. Any advice?
  • MissesOfficer
    Options
    Try using a hair protector for heat styling... I use one by Matrix before I straighten my hair... seems to help :) I also like Redken's Smooth Down Cream for keeping frizzies away... you may be able to just put that on your wet hair and won't have to blow dry at all!..... Opps just seen that you need to blowdry it before work
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    dry shampoo. you can get it at ulta or sephora. they have some that come in spray cans (like hairspray) or you can sprinkle on like baby powder. You apply at the roots only and brush through. It soaks up the oils and it brushes out of your hair. They use it for people who can't bathe regularly (due to injuries or health problems) ...or people who work out before going to work!:wink:
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Do you shower and wash your hair before you go to the gym?

If not i wouldn't worry about it. I shower and wash my hair EVERDAY and blow dry it and flat iron it as well. I do put on a spray in protector b efore blowing drying thtough, not sure if it really helps or not. I can't go without showering and washing/doing my hair everyday as after i sleep on it it looks like crap.

Plus pretty much everyone i know does the same thing with no problem.

HTH.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Good job on deciding to begin a healthier lifestyle!

I have the same problem, except, I have naturally curly hair, that I can blow straight when desired (i love my hair straight). However, I've decided to stay curly until I reach my goal weight and then I will go to the gym 3 times a week instead of 5 to 6 times, as I do now.

Anyhoo, the only thing I can suggest is you use VERY good products, if you MUST have it straight and blowing it everyday. If you are latin, like me, maybe you can do a "doobi-do", but if you sweat mostly through your head, that won't work too well.

Sorry, I wasn't much help. You are not alone :wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    show up at work with wet hair

so what

if they fire you for a wet head
    sue the crap out of em
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Spoken like a guy Dave. Us women have to go into work with hair done and make up on.

I have a very low maintenance haircut that I can dry within 2 minutes. Throw on some Aveda Control paste and it looks great
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    My friend has the same problem. She uses baby powder on the really greasy days. I don't know how well it works, but she swears by it. Even keeps it in her purse!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    My friend has the same problem. She uses baby powder on the really greasy days. I don't know how well it works, but she swears by it. Even keeps it in her purse!

you can use j&j cornstarch (baby) to deal with minor grease around frame of face and top of scalp. but not a lot. and not when your hair is soaked with sweat.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I agree with Dave, drive to work with the windows open...
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    dry shampoo. you can get it at ulta or sephora. they have some that come in spray cans (like hairspray) or you can sprinkle on like baby powder. You apply at the roots only and brush through. It soaks up the oils and it brushes out of your hair. They use it for people who can't bathe regularly (due to injuries or health problems) ...or people who work out before going to work!:wink:
    This really works, I'm a sweater as well, it takes me darn near an hour to blow dry my almost waist length, very curly red hair.....it was beginning to become a huge hassle, I bought the dry shampoo, and it works like a charm!!
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    I would look for these two products:

1) Heat protectant spray, like Tresemme, VO5 or similar

and

2) Anti-breakage leave-in treatment, like Redken's Anti-Snap

Also, once a week, I would make a low bun or ponytail (wrap a section of hair around the wrap so it looks more sophisticated) so you have one day where you are not doing heat damage. Professional yet easy.

On your day off from the gym, give your hair the day off, too. Use a dry shampoo or skip shampooing entirely that day.

HTH!