Groceries

Options
I was just wondering around how much you guys spent on your groceries? And how often you go shopping? Growing up my mom never bought "junk" as I call it. She hardly bought pizza pockets, frozen dinners, chips and other things along those lines. We always had fruits and veggies and little snacks for school. We didn't have pop, the only one we would have is Ginger ale. My fiancee though loves to buy cookies, chips, other little desserts, pizza pockets, jamacian patties and everything else you can imagine. Of course he can eat this all and not gain weight!! I love all that stuff too but it is WAY to tempting to have it in the house. He complains that when I do the groceries theres " nothing " to eat and that I am spending too much because I go to the grocery store too often. He'd like me to go every two weeks or so shopping, but I like fresh fruits and veggies each week lol. We just went yesterday and he is slowing understanding the whole healthy eating thing and starting to ask me more questions because he wants to get better too, but we will ended up getting quite a bit of junk. We spent 168$ dollars, He is hoping this will last til we leave for vacation and at least two weeks after we get back. We're leaving in 4 days. Of course I only bought enough veggies and fruits for 4 days and the other stuff we got was alot of meats and freezer stuff.

Replies

• paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    I was just wondering around how much you guys spent on your groceries? And how often you go shopping? Growing up my mom never bought "junk" as I call it. She hardly bought pizza pockets, frozen dinners, chips and other things along those lines. We always had fruits and veggies and little snacks for school. We didn't have pop, the only one we would have is Ginger ale. My fiancee though loves to buy cookies, chips, other little desserts, pizza pockets, jamacian patties and everything else you can imagine. Of course he can eat this all and not gain weight!! I love all that stuff too but it is WAY to tempting to have it in the house. He complains that when I do the groceries theres " nothing " to eat and that I am spending too much because I go to the grocery store too often. He'd like me to go every two weeks or so shopping, but I like fresh fruits and veggies each week lol. We just went yesterday and he is slowing understanding the whole healthy eating thing and starting to ask me more questions because he wants to get better too, but we will ended up getting quite a bit of junk. We spent 168$ dollars, He is hoping this will last til we leave for vacation and at least two weeks after we get back. We're leaving in 4 days. Of course I only bought enough veggies and fruits for 4 days and the other stuff we got was alot of meats and freezer stuff.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I went yesterday to pick a "few" things and spent $100. :grumble:

I bought a lot of fruit and fresh nuts though. :love:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    for me? coupons, coupons, coupons, matched with sale items.... and here in az there is a produce co-op that gets me a weeks worth of fruits and veggies for 4... all for 15 bucks a week....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

$100???

well...you prolly looked good walkin down the aisles:wink:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    we only buy groceries once a month (because we live in utter isolation) and we spend about 400$ on them. SO that's about 100$ a week, for 2 people and 2 cats, including toiletries. We buy some junk (the man loves it), but mostly it's foods like bread, milk, cheese, meats, fruits and veggies- and wholesome snacks like wheat crackers, yogurt and applesauce.

We DEFINITELY spent more on groceries when we weren't eating well- mostly because we were eating MORE food, that was more expensive.

I buy fruits and veggies that last- usually they stay fresh for about 2 weeks. I get melon- which lasts a surprisingly long time- and fruits like pears and apples, which also last. Berries and grapes seem to go bad quickly, so when I buy them they are the first fruits I eat. I find veggies like carrots and celery last a long time while cucumbers and lettuce go quickly. Onions and potatoes also last forever!

Frozen fruits and veggies are also just as nutritious and taste great- they are also cheaper. We buy a lot of those and save them for after the fresh produce has been eaten.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I went last weekend and spent $250, but that was also laundry soap, softener, dish soap. But still it's crazy! I don't buy junk, I do buy fiber one bars and yoplait for snacks, but that's the closest, "junk" I buy. My DH does like his sweets too, but he buys one, it's individually wrapped and there's only one, so I can't eat it.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could only go shopping once every 2 weeks!:laugh: I need my fruit and salads or I would lose it!

I shop at least once a week. I go on the weekend (usually spending $80-$120 for my husband and myself). But by the end of the work week I am usually already low on fruit and veggies and I have to make a second stop, spending another $30.

So it total in a week to feed 2 people I spend about $110 - $150. We eat well :blushing: This also includes household items like detergent, toilet paper, etc.

Since there are a lot of farms nearby in the summer and fall I often will stop at markets and roadside stands to pick up fresh produce.

I have to say since changing my eating habits I have definitely noticed that our grocery bill has gone up. Eating healthy can be expensive!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I am recently unemployed so I've had to learn to be very careful about what I'm spending on groceries. i still shop once a week because I need fresh stuff, but I watch the ads really closely now. Especially for meat and fish, and also for what fruits are on sale. I but a lot of store brands. Mostly they work well, and even in store brands there are more organic options, though I can't afford to stick with the organics exclusively. i've found that sometimes its worth it to go to a couple of different stores in order to save money.

As far as all the prepared stuff, and "junk" in the grand scheme of things, it seems this stuff would be more expensive.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

$100???

well...you prolly looked good walkin down the aisles:wink:

:blushing:

Thanks Dave, but probably not, I tend to do my grocery shopping after my workout. :laugh:
  • Istillgotit
    Options
    I went shopping yesterday. Hit two stores and spent $36.00 on fruits and veggies and $104.00 on dry goods and cleaning supplies. I have to hit the butcher today for meat and will spend about $25-30 there. So in all I spent $165.00 for the next 10 14 days. My husband jumped on the band wagon and because he gets so much more in daily calories I had to increase the budget. But, with both of us on a healthy kick the kids benefit by learning healthy choices. I also follow the sales at the various stores. You can get on line and print coupons for sale items as well. Most stores will accept the coupons from on-line and the sunday paper for the same item. Hang in there summer is coming and fruits and veggies grown locally are sometimes cheaper. :wink:
  • jhollyw00d
    jhollyw00d Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You should look in to Community Supported Agriculture. You basically buy "stock" in a local farm, and they give you a portion of their crops each season, you go and pick it up every couple of weeks (fresh, seasonal fruits and veggies, YUMBY!). It's usually about enough for a family of 4, so if you go in on it with another couple, it should be plenty, and not too expensive, depending on the farm!

As far as your regular groceries go, I heart Trader Joe's (do you have those in ON?) but if you are just going to the regular grocery store, try to sign up for their e-newsletters and circulars, and shop according to their sales! My boyfriend and I have 2 cats, and we shop about every 2 weeks, speding almost $200 a trip, but I always find myself running back for "extras" or items we forgot throughout those 2 weeks, food and kitty litter if they run out, etc.

If he loves the junk, buy it for him, but keep it in a place that's out of your line of sight. I have a friend who puts her fiance's "junk food" in the cabinets above the fridge, b/c she doesn't see it there and can't reach it, unless she gets up on something, but then she has to think twice about what she's doing to do that. I happen to be a big fan of 100 calorie packs, and I load up on them and keep them in a big bowl that's easy for us both to grab, and if he wants to eat more than one, it's fine, I know my own limit, I use them for my afternoon snack! Or, I buy in bulk and measure out my OWN 100 calorie packs using store-brand ziplock bags.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MBH3
    MBH3 Posts: 30
    Options
    Okay...I think I may win the 'who spends the most' game. I spend about $600-$650/month on groceries and toiletries. Of note, however, I have 21 month old twins so that includes DIAPERS which are mucho expensive. I have noticed my grocery costs have gone down since eating less processed foods and more fresh fruits, veggies and lean meats. I keep some of the 'junk' in the house for the kiddos but even that is not too bad...just granola bars, goldfish, graham crackers and stuff like that. We also joined Sams and if you have the freezer space, you can save a lot on meat. I don't buy much produce there b/c it is in such large quantities.

Marcy
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me dramaticaly is a food list. I know we all have them but I will sit down with my family (theres 7 of us living together) and created a meal plan. We discuss what will be made for dinner every night for 2 weeks, what we would like for lunches and breakfest. We then consider snacks and other treats that we want. After we make a plan we write our list and go shopping. For all the fresh food we need like veggies and fruits we get a supply for the first week and then we set aside an amount and list for the second week. Its nice because every one has also chiped in with cooking because we know what to expect. It has saved us money and time. We also get along better there is no arguing because we each have an opinion and idea for what we are eating. I am sure this would be easier with less people. Keep up the good work!!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    $600 a month? I wish,,,

We blow close to $200 a week on groceries & housekeeping stuff (detergent/garbage bags/etc. etc. etc.) - but we are feeding 2 healthy eating adults, our decent eating 18yo son, and frequently feed his GF and 1 or 2 of their teenage friends.

It's an adventure. Good news - teens WILL eat healthy stuff like my Chicken&Cabbage. Bad news? They eat the whole dang pot! Hehehe.

I'd rather pay the grocer than the Doctor.

<<Dig that crazy counter! I'm almost halfway to me goal!!! :laugh: >>>
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    I went grocery shopping yesterday too. My problem is similar. My husband doesn't believe there's food in the house, unless it's junk! I can be that way too. My problem is that my son's are on high calorie diets to help the gain weight. They're 6 and 4 and they eat about 17 to 1,800 a day. Of course, they also eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and I do the shopping every week because I prefer fresh every day. Yesterday when I went I spen about $98. That will last longer than a week, but I still have to do a little grocery shopping every week for the fruits and veggies. My monthly bill usually goes:

First of the month any where from $90 to $120.

Every Week after that I spen about $60 to keep fresh fruits, veggies, and meats around.

Then about the last week of the month I spend about $40.

Sometimes more. I have 4 kids who live with me full time, and get a lot of visitors too. So I end up spending quite a bit. So don't feel too bad, it could be worse! Going every week isn't bad at all. I even live in the country and the nearest Wal Mart is about 20 miles away! Let your significant other know that, and maybe you're shopping frequently won't be such a big deal!

178464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    One thing that has helped me dramaticaly is a food list. I know we all have them but I will sit down with my family (theres 7 of us living together) and created a meal plan. We discuss what will be made for dinner every night for 2 weeks, what we would like for lunches and breakfest. We then consider snacks and other treats that we want. After we make a plan we write our list and go shopping. For all the fresh food we need like veggies and fruits we get a supply for the first week and then we set aside an amount and list for the second week. Its nice because every one has also chiped in with cooking because we know what to expect. It has saved us money and time. We also get along better there is no arguing because we each have an opinion and idea for what we are eating. I am sure this would be easier with less people. Keep up the good work!!!
    Excellent idea. I've been doing that since the beginning of the year and it has saved me a lot of money. I do the bulk of my shopping for 2 weeks and spend around $300 every two weeks for a family of four. We buy all of our beef and pork from a local farmer and keep it in the freezer, so we don't have to buy meat and that helps also. And it's MUCH better meat.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is way too long to go without fresh fruits and vegetables. We go to a produce market about twice a week and spend $40 or so. Then we shop once a week for the other groceries and spend about $125 a week, but this is for a family of 4.

Maybe you should find a produce market and go a couple of times a week for your goodies. Let him do the other shopping every two weeks if that's how he wants to do it.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    I go to the grocery store daily and buy whatever veggies I will need for dinner that night. I find that I can buy what's fresh and on sale, and know we will eat it, rather than toss it. Meats I will usually buy once a week or sometimes less if I find a good sale. Then I buy in bulk and freeze it.
    I probably spend about $400 a month on just food items.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Our grocery bills have certainly gone up. I spend $300-400/mo on groceries. I do one BIG shopping trip a month and then stop as needed for veggies and fruit (thank goodness it's spring and I can plant some veggies... there is no better salad than one just "picked" from the garden).

I use coupons, shop Aldi's, shop sales and stock up on items that aren't perishable. I also own a large freezer -so I freeze a lot of things that are perishable.

I've found that I can save a lot of money by not buying as many cleaners and stuff though. I make our own laundry detergent, I use a lot of vinegar and baking soda making homemade cleaners that are better for us and better for the environment and they're a heck of a lot better on our wallet. Also, because I stay home now and we are watching our finances, we fired the lawn care company and I mow the grass every week - BONUS - I get to count it as exercise and it gets done they way I like it done!
  • psilva78227
    psilva78227 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We shop weekly - there are five in the house including two grown boys (17 & 20). Meat we will stock up on when it is on sale, but there are some things you have to buy more often for freshness. Milk, breads, fruits, and veggies we buy weekly - as well as other stuff. We spend usually between $500 and $600 a month.

Patricia :)