Trying to be Overweight by Easter

Options
Sounds silly, right? Actually, no. My BMI has me categorized as obese so my goal is to lose enough weight to no longer be in the obese category but instead be in the overweight category. I have 11 pounds to lose in 9 weeks. Reasonable?

I know some will say not to concentrate so much on the scale but on the tape measure but I figured I need some kind of guideline.

How do you set your goals? Long term or baby steps?

Replies

• ANLasley
    Options
    Both! I like to have long term goals and then a whole bunch of short term goals based on those. It really helps me stay motivated when the long term seems oh so far away.
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I too have 11lbs to go to 'overweight' - and I can't wait to get there!

I have both long term and short term goals, most of them in my head! This 'overweight' one is the one I am aiming for now, and my long term goal is currently 11st/154lbs. After that, my goals will be size-wise instead of scale-wise.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    11lbs seems an accptable goal :), I personally have small goals that I aim towards & a bigger goal in my mind that is flexible :)

Russ
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    ....I think losing 11lbs in 9 weeks is fairly reasonable.... It is healthy to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week (at least from the research I have done). Stay motivated - eat clean, drink lots of water, exercise and stick with it and you can do it! :)

I have both short term and long term goals. There is an ultimate goal that I want to reach, but the short goals are the baby steps to help me on my journey.

I would like to lose about 20-30lbs by July...but right now my goal is to watch my calories/sugar intake, and exercise more. Each week and month I give myself some new challenges to keep me motivated.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Luck!!

I'm sure you can do it. It's an amazing feeling too when you can say you're over weight and not obese!! :drinker:
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    It just depends on the type of person you are i guess...I do not set mini goals for myself. But I don't need them. What I need is to set my big goal and look forward to that. I "reward" myself every month that I lose, but I do not set myself up to only get rewarded if I lose certain amount of weight. I have learned that can also be setting your self up for disappointment. So as long as I stay on track I am happy working with out any mini goals:)
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm looking froward to being 'overweight' too, lol! 8 lb to go.....
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    One second, minute, hour, day at a time <--- that is the best way to set your goals.

You have a final goal - but you set small goals along the way to accomplish that final. Treat each day like a brand new day and chance to get your goals accomplished.

Best of luck!!!
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's my first goal, to not be obese, but to be overweight! What an accomplishment. After that, I want to be under 200, that used to be the weight I would never go over, even pregnant. I'm not sure what the next goal will be, besides the end goal, but keeping my eyes on these immediate goals. This WILL be done!
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Both! I like to have long term goals and then a whole bunch of short term goals based on those. It really helps me stay motivated when the long term seems oh so far away.
    ^^^ This
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great goal! I have about 15 pounds to go from obese to overweight myself.

I like setting a big goal, then making small step goals to get there. For instance I want to get to 135lbs, but I'm aiming for 170 by April. I'd love to be out of the 190s by Valentine's Day. Small, digestible steps!
  • plaid405
    plaid405 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I try to set a lot of manageable goals and then stay flexible. My long term goal is to lose 50 lbs by July. My daily goal is to stay at my 1200 calories and do something anything active. My monthly goal is to jog/walk 50 miles for February. Each step gets me closer to the other. When I stumble, I've learned not to punish myself but to readjust and keep moving forward.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yay!! You can do it! January 2011 I was obese. Weight fell off so fast for the first 3 months! You will have no problem making your goal.
    It can be hard to look too far ahead because a one pound success doesn't seem like a dent in the total amount of weight you want to lose.
    Just focus on NOW. Think "TODAY I am goig to stay under my calorie allowance. TODAY I am going to work out."
    It's easy to fall into the trap of messing up and looking at fixing it tomorrow... don't do that. That's how we put on this extra weight to begin with, right??
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you have the same type of goal! We can become overweight together!