Any teachers trying to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I work in a preschool and my BIGGEST challenge is the school lunches. We serve family style and the teachers have to eat what the children eat. That means that sometimes I take in A LOT of calories just because I am starving and can't wait to eat until nap time. I hate having to adjust my dinners just because of what we ate at school. We can get a doctors note to give to the corporation allowing us to eat differently in front of the kids but it is HIGHLY discouraged.

This is just wrong. I don't see how any employer can *make* you eat anything. If I were you, I'd find a job where I was more respected. You deserve it!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I teach 8th grade. I find it most difficult to drink the water that I need to drink b/c of no potty break!!!!

This kills. When I taught Kindergarten, I realized I went the whole day without using the restroom! Talk about a way to set yourself up for bladder infections!
  • Donkeydriver
    Options
    I teach fifth grade and luckily we all have our own bathrooms cuz we are in portables... So I can get most of my water intake...although it is still difficult tot get in all8 waters.... No chocolate in my classroom...I only have candy that I don't like! I plan all my meals once. A week so it's super easy to grab and go.

Everyone can add me...I don't know how to add friends yet!
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I teach 3rd grade - I get a break at 10:35 with lunch at 12:00. I can usually get away to use the RR if I really need to. Since January the district supports a weight loss group which makes it a bit easier. A lot of the treats have a fruit or veggie tray so I try to graze off those and tell myself that the sweet/salty snacks aren't really worth it & probably don't even taste as good as they look. I also avoid the lounge during major treat days. I always bring my lunch which is either a sandwich or leftovers. I am getting into a routine with this so it is working for me right now.

I also think it is not very nice to be told you have to eat the school's food. Sorry about that situation for you.
  • wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am a substitute teacher. I find it hard to adjust to the different schedules each day. Some have lunch before 11 and then others it's after noon. So depending where I am, I'm starving and end up snacking when I shouldn't. I also can't drink water all day because I tend to need the bathroom when I don't have a break or I don't know where the closest bathroom is.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm a special ed teacher for high school students. Here's what REALLY works for me: a set schedule.

So far, I've lost 13 lbs. Not a lot considering I have a lot more to go, but here's what really works for me.

I plan all my meals out (even my lunches). I cook one day a week, usually on Sundays. I portion everything out into tupperware, so in the morning it's grab and go for lunches (Usually one container of left overs added with apples and oranges or a salad). I even go as to far to have my two water bottles pre-filled before I go to bed. Cooking one day eliminates "what am I going to do for dinner" mode, which triggers me to snack/binge in between. I'm lucky in the sense that I'm single, cause if I have a ton of left overs, I can portion and freeze. That way I don't get bored with the same thing everyday.

I've learned that my crock pot is my friend. Some of the meals that I've found on www.skinyms.com have been a Godsend. Seriously. They're flavorful, and brainless. Just dump, program, walk away, and voilia! Dinner! :-)

Having taught pre-k before (I'm certified 3-21), I know the struggles that happen. The best thing for you to do is PLAN everything. Even snacks. If I know there's a birthday I plan to exercise extra the night before, OR, the day of. While this isn't really looked upon positively, I've taken one of my prep periods to walk, rather than planning. Yes. This means extra time after school, but the reality of it is is this: I was staying after later anyway. What's 30-40 more minutes?

Hope this helps a bit. PS--I highly recommend yoga for relaxation/exercise. It's helped me a ton!
  • Mawkish1983
    Mawkish1983 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I'm a teacher and I am trying to lose weight
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have been a substitute teacher for almost 8 years now. I love my job, but having to eat at different times, can be hard. I only sub at one school, and I also get invites to the teacher luncheons, and I am treated just like one of the regular staff members. I just get to be the lucky one who doesn't have to go to the staff meetings!
    I mainly work in school suspension, so sitting in a room all day with kids who are only allowed to sit quietly and do their work, I think about food quite a bit.
    Anyone can feel free to add me.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Oh my.... Am I the only high school teacher???

Seriously, there are a few hard parts! 1. Waking up at 5am to be at school by 6:30 and then work until 4 (because I am one of the student government sponsers!) and then try to come home and NOT fall asleep! 2. Making time for anything that doesn't revolve around planning lessons, grading papers (I have 177 students), etc. 3. Seeing kids who are selling candy for whatever club they are in! 4. Having kids bring me homeade Easter cupcakes! .....And I could continue, but it would take forever!

Truthfully, I've learned that the best thing to do is just to stop whning, eat in moderation and hit the gym 5-6 pre-set days per week!
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I teach 9th and 12th grade English, and high school ESL! :D

EDIT: I guess it's just you and me, Alicia!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I am a substitute teacher. I find it hard to adjust to the different schedules each day. Some have lunch before 11 and then others it's after noon. So depending where I am, I'm starving and end up snacking when I shouldn't. I also can't drink water all day because I tend to need the bathroom when I don't have a break or I don't know where the closest bathroom is.

Yep, I'm a sub, too! I work primarily at one school, where everyone knows my name even if I don't know them, haha.

Eating at different times is definitely tough, and I find I do much better with water on the days where I'm in Pre-K, K and 1st grade because there are two of us in the classroom so I can go to the bathroom whenever I need to. On days when I'm in 2nd-4th (they have a weird system where the schools are Pre-K-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-12) I'll get home and realize I didn't drink anything. Guess it's just ingrained in my mind after nearly having an accident one day because I couldn't find someone to look after my class! Hahaha
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not a teacher but got interested in the thread- Lord helps us, whatever are the children eating???
  • AliciaBeth78
    Options
    Out of curiousity, when did subs become teachers?
  • Mawkish1983
    Mawkish1983 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh I teach ages 11-18, sorry I didn't say. I'm a physics teacher. Up at 4:30am for my daily routine, starting at school between 6:30am and 7:00am each day.

My wife very kindly makes my sandwiches each day (usually) for lunch and my breakfast is always a weight and measured amount of cereal. The evening meal is what kills me.
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options

XD
  • merapp9
    merapp9 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

XD

I have been a full time teacher (8th Grade Social Studies) and subbed for only 6 months before becoming a full time teacher. There are many great subs that I know work as hard as the teachers. Not knowing the students and having little time to go over the days lesson is tough. My dad is a retired teacher and subs now. They love having him com in to sub because he does teach! I appreciate the hard working subs and yes...subs can be/are teachers!!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

Ok, fine, I'll stop taking care of your class when you call out.

PS It's spelled curiosity, not curiousity. It would be nice if our teachers could spell, wouldn't it?
  • annamolly22
    Options

XD

I have been a full time teacher (8th Grade Social Studies) and subbed for only 6 months before becoming a full time teacher. There are many great subs that I know work as hard as the teachers. Not knowing the students and having little time to go over the days lesson is tough. My dad is a retired teacher and subs now. They love having him com in to sub because he does teach! I appreciate the hard working subs and yes...subs can be/are teachers!!!

I completely agree! I subbed for one school year before getting a full time teaching job. I was sooo exhausted after subbing each day, especially when I subbed for an elementary class. It's not just babysitting a class. You are fully expected to teach the students class content while you are with the class. If subs weren't expected to do that, what would the be the purpose of the students coming to school that day?
  • AliciaBeth78
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I don't see subs having to plan lessons, grade papers, or even do anything but sit on their *kitten*, give the kids an assignment and write a note to the teacher letting the teacher know what was accomplished for the day. The quality of the sub takes no toll whatsoever on education! You are a warm body who sits in the class while the teacher is gone. And as a teacher, I am not evaluated on my performance based on what the kids do when I have a sub in the classroom!

Speaking from experience, I can honestly say that my kids do nothing when a sub is in my class - well except act horribly! I have actually had to be pulled out of a mid-day meeting because a sub couldn't handle my kids. While yes, I have found 1-2 subs who (depending on the day) can keep my kids in control, none of them have actually spent any amount of time TEACHING, which when I leave a detailed lesson plan, is what I expect from a good sub!

So until I find a sub who actually TEACHES, I am sorry, but I don't consider you guys teachers!