Squats and lunges: or not?

Options
I've searched online what exercises to add in my exercise program to tone my butt. While squats and lunges come up for this, they also come up when I did a test search on what exercises to do when wanting a BIGGER butt.

I already have a big butt and DON'T want it any bigger. Should I do squats or not? What are your experiences with doing them?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Replies

• vintageprop
    vintageprop Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've searched online what exercises to add in my exercise program to tone my butt. While squats and lunges come up for this, they also come up when I did a test search on what exercises to do when wanting a BIGGER butt.

I already have a big butt and DON'T want it any bigger. Should I do squats or not? What are your experiences with doing them?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i do a lot of leg lifts and other exercises while on my hands and knees, donkey kick, bent leg press. . .

i also lay on my back and bend my knees so my feet are flat on the floor and then lift my butt off the floor - this way i tighten not only my butt, but also my stomach. i hold it during all comercials while whatching tv. let me tell ya - that is a LONG time!!

hope this helps. . .:flowerforyou:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Squats and lunges will lift your butt and get it rounded in all the right ways. If you have no butt or a saggy one, then yes these exercises will make your butt bigger by building and strengthening those muscels. If you already have a booty, then these moves will burn off excess fat while lifting and creating musccel, so your butt will be toned. It all depends on the butt you have to start with. I have a booty myself and squats and lunges are definately helping it get more toned, and its looking smaller but still rockin :laugh:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Lol! Well, that's the first time I've heard that! Frankly I think they'd only make your butt bigger if you're one of those unfortunate souls with a flat butt (not me - I'm in the same boat with you :ohwell: ) so I wouldn't worry about that. Squats and lunges are good exercises for your butt and thighs, and frankly I wish I did them more often. :blushing: I think you should go ahead and do them. If your butt does get bigger, you can always just stop! :flowerforyou:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by saying that I'm small-boned and my muscles are small as well. I did squats, lunges and butt lifts for years and my butt got rounder, but not "bigger." It actually looked less wide. :happy: I also worked in tae-bo kicks to work the sides - sort of suck it all "in."
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges combined with a healthy diet and cardio will tone your butt, it will not make it bigger than what it is. And besides, you don't want to lose your butt...right? :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Weight training is not going to make you huge and I wish some women would get this through their thick skulls!:bigsmile:

No matter what I say my sister refuses to lift because she thinks she's going to turn into Arnold. Our bodies are not able to go that route physiologically unless you are taking some sort of steroid or HGH.

The only thing you are going to get from weight training is GREAT BENEFITS!!!!! Those squats and lunges are going to make your *kitten* look fabulous!
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    just to repeat what everyone else here has said:

squats and lunges are super important to tone up that booty! You should combine doing those with some cardio to burn off the layer of fat on top so it looks firm and fabulous.

Besides, the more muscles you have, the more calories you burn even at rest!
  • eonblue
    eonblue Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Squats are one of the greatest exercises to incorporate into a workout. I try to do 100 within each workout. TRY being the key word. :) Make sure your form is correct so all your hard work is effective! Good luck.
  • eonblue
    eonblue Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Weight training is not going to make you huge and I wish some women would get this through their thick skulls!:bigsmile:

No matter what I say my sister refuses to lift because she thinks she's going to turn into Arnold. Our bodies are not able to go that route physiologically unless you are taking some sort of steroid or HGH.

The only thing you are going to get from weight training is GREAT BENEFITS!!!!! Those squats and lunges are going to make your *kitten* look fabulous!

Seriously, I don't know why women are so afraid of lifting weights. I train with a 26 pound kettlebell - (soon to be 36 lbs) and it's done nothing but firm me up.
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    I have a flat butt and I love those lunges! My butt is definitely lifted now. . . but I still need to get rid of the jiggles above the newly toned muscle.

Combine cardio with squats and lunges and you'll be doing great!