Aching knee

Options
Hey guys! First post here!
Before joining MFP, I've been training in a gym for almost 4 years. Zumba once a week for six months now.
Last summer, I experienced some pain in my left knee as I was doing the squats my trainer made me do on the machine. When I told her *november* , she changed my program for squats on the wall with an exercice ball on my back and light weights. It was fine, but in the last week, I began feeling the pain again, but now only when I work out. I feel it at rest as well and it hurts a little bit when I walk up or down stairs. I've got to get a radio of it, but they think I might have a little ripped something, the "meniscus" or something like that.
I didn't go to the gym for 3 straight days (OMG!) and relaxed. I'll see my trainer this week so she makes me a program that will not get this worse, but I was wondering if you know any exercices that can be done without hurting my knee or some that could help it be stronger and not rip any more, so I don't need to have an operation.
I changed the stationary bike for the elliptical for the last 2 days and it didn't hurt doing it, but at rest I still feel a slight pain.
Thanks!!
-MwiMwi

Replies

• taqefu
    taqefu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I hate to make you feel bad, but that sounds exactly like the type of pain I've been experiencing the last weeks. I got a MRT last week, and turns out I did rip my meniscus :-( Now I'm gonna get an appointment for surgery :-/

If you ripped your meniscus as well, you're going to need a surgery. There's no way a broken meniscus is going to repair itself. The rip itself is not such a problem, but the broken pieces of the meniscus create friction within your knee and will most likely hurt the cartilage and lead to arthrosis. So one has to get surgery better sooner than later in order to prevent additional damage.

Arthroscopy is not such a big deal, you can go home the same day and even use your leg right after surgery (with the support of a crutch). I haven't had mine yet, but I know I'm gonna be using crutches for about 1-2 weeks. 2 more weeks without any exercise, then after 4 weeks one is supposed to get back on track with (light) exercise.

Just get a radio as fast as you can, maybe you're lucky and it's not that bad. As to exercise: Listen to your body, don't do anything that hurts and go light on your legs! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I had surgery for a torn meniscus.

It doesn't heal or get better without surgery. There is no fix other than surgery. Very common injury - especially for women, apparently since the knee is such an unstable joint to begin with, and then women have the added stress of wider hips, which naturally stresses the knee.

The surgery is fast, three little 1/2 inch incisions, done arthoscopically (correct term? Inside the knee with little tools and a camera.) They shave off the torn cartilage parts - it looks kind of like shredded fabric.

I was a waitress at the time and back at work in five days. You are only off it for about three days.

Definitely get the MRI. Even then, your insurance may make you do Physical Therapy first as it is sometimes difficult to see the tear, even on an MRI.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Before you move forward I would have it checked to be sure. I had bad knee pain after starting some running and once I was sure I hadn't torn anything then I felt more comfortable continuing my workouts and finding ways to help the pain like chiro/massage therapy, stretching, heat and ice and working the major muscles in my legs so they support my knee.
  • mwimwi
    mwimwi Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks all for the quick responses!
    I'll definitly have my radio very soon, and meanwhile I'll be careful when exercising!!