Yogurt and Fruit Smoothies

Options
Last night we went over to a neighbors and we made Yoplait Light Strawberry Banana and fruit smoothies. We added some sugar substitute and we added pineapple and strawberries and bananas. I loved them. The problem is that I came home and I put them into MFP and they are so high in calories. What do the rest of you think? Are they too high in calories to justify eating for breakfast. I also wondered if I could add some Herbalife powder in there and if I would notice it as I hate the Herbalife shakes. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I think it is fine if you add it in to your calorie intake for the day. I do them once in a while but not often because of the same reason.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I make my own smoothies. Here's what I do:
    1 banana
    12 frozen strawberries
    1tbsp strawberry banana Flax seed oil
    1-1.5 cups strawberry banana orange juice
    1 scoop mandarin orange spark

Blend it all up and you get 2 servings about 165 calories. I'd be more comfortable doing the math again, but it has the energy with the spark drink, the fruit and fiber and the flax seed oil gets you a significant amount of omega 3's. This is my meal replacement shake if I also add a shot of protein.

I do NOT put any yogurt or milk in mine, but you could use frozen yogurt or greek yogurt for the extra protein. This will increase your calories though.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't go buying the Yoplait smoothie stuff, but I keep carbmaster yogurt in my fridge and frozen fruits and bananas at the house and make my own smoothies with whatever combinations I want. There's usually only around 100 calories tops in mine.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I stopped using yogurt and fruit for my smoothies because of the sugars and carbs. Now I use protein powder instead of yogurt along with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk plus 1 tablespoon peanut butter. To that I sometimes add spinach or frozen blueberries(low sugar). Blend it all together for a nutritious and filling meal replacement shake with little carbs and sugar.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I like to use Carbmaster yogurt also with diet Splash and frozen blueberries and strawberries, maybe a little Stevia--not too bad in sugars that way.