What do you eat post work out?

Options
Hi what kind of foods do you eat post workout? I hear protien is good, ideas please??

Replies

• cooter2533
    Options
    Protein is the best thing to eat post workout, I always drink a protein shake of 1 scoop of protein powder and 1 cup of skim milk.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is typically higher in protein than non-Greek

Chocolate milk

My personal favorite: Banana smoothie--frozen bananas, milk, raw egg whites
  • random255
    random255 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to plan my dinner out, including proportion size, then head over to the gym. After my workout, I'll just eat whatever I had planned to make. That way, I don't overeat, and I don't fail to eat.

On nights I'm going to work out, I like to plan on something like 4-8 oz of skinless chicken breast, cooked on a Foreman grill, stewed tomatoes, random veggies, and water (or diet coke, if I'm in the mood).
  • mywise
    mywise Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    protein shake.
  • koolmum
    Options
    Ditto on the Protein shake
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar or protein shake if I do not have time for an actual balanced meal.
  • bigtone34
    Options
    I do a protein shake.
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    I eat my own protein smoothie. :3

- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    - 1 cup of Soy Milk
    - 1 serving of Raspberries
    - 1/2 serving of greek yogurt

Blend it all together with ice and it's so tasty!
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I workout early in the morning (5am), I love to have Shakeology with a banana in it for breakfast.
    If it's later in the day, I try to do a mix of protein with some carbs. Toast with natural peanut butter, greek yogurt with fruit, etc.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I usually have a powerbar ( Harvest Energy Double Chocolate Crisp )... mostly because I really like them!
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Protein shake with water, and a nice feed of carbs to spike the insulin levels which will help deliver the protein straight into the muscles. Don't have protein with milk EVER, it takes too long to break down the complex proteins in the milk and it uses the protein in the powder as an energy source to complete this process. As a result, you'd be lucky to absorb a third of the total protein you consume so stick to water.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    whatever my next meal is.

Normally would have a decent amount of protein, lots of carbs (depending on carb intake for the rest of the day) & usually lowish fat.
  • mywise
    mywise Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big milk person... I always use water with mine. Some people don't like the taste with water but after you've drank them a while u just kind of aquire a taste for em lol
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    Bookmarking...thx
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I drink an EAS low carb protein shake :)
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've been having greek yogurt.
  • andreacord
    Options
    Something with protein, I have various go tos but I won't list them all lol. :)
  • andreacord
    Options
    Protein shake with water, and a nice feed of carbs to spike the insulin levels which will help deliver the protein straight into the muscles. Don't have protein with milk EVER, it takes too long to break down the complex proteins in the milk and it uses the protein in the powder as an energy source to complete this process. As a result, you'd be lucky to absorb a third of the total protein you consume so stick to water.

Didn't know this, thank you :)
  • momonwilson
    Options
    unslated almonds and greek yogurt
  • deborawrrx
    Options
    i LOVE having tropical fruit - such as mango, papaya and pineapple, etc, with a good dollop of natural yogurt (no fat or low fat of course). also gives me that sweet taste that i usually want after a good gym session! x