Coupons

Options
Not sure If i posted this under the right kind of topic but....

Okay, so I never looked at coupons before, but I went grocery shopping with a friend and she saved close to 20 dollars with just her coupons.

Do your coupons effect what you eat? I looked and a lot of the coupons I found were for "bad" foods.

Anyone care to shed some wisdom on this topic???

Replies

• hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help out, but I usually don't go for coupons. Probably would be a good idea to do so.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i am obsessed with coupons and savings websites....you're correct that alot of coupons can be for unhealthy foods, but alot of times you can sign up for places you like's mailing list (dole, laughing cow, driscoll berries) or facebook pages to get coupons too.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    one of the easiest sites i use is coupons.com which has new coupons the first of every month....right now they have oscar mayer meats, multigrain cheerios, campbells soups and jennie-o turkey burgers just to name a few healthier options!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    tks for the coupon sites, will def try.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty big couponer - when I first started out almost 5 years ago I stocked up on whatever was free, now I am more careful about what I bring in the house but I am still able to use coupons on items that I will still actually *use* even now that I'm watching what I eat a bit more. For example, health and beauty products are one area where you can get a huge savings if you're not too brand-loyal, especially if you shop at the big drugstores (CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens) - those stores offer really good rewards programs that you can work to your advantage to net super-cheap and even free products. I don't pay for toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, floss, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, soap/bodywash, razors, shave cream, etc any more. I am not able to do quite as much at the grocery store as I used to, but I can still get decent deals on frozen fruits and veggies, whole grain pasta, rice, frozen grilled chicken, feta cheese (just have to have that for my salads LOL), salad dressings, pasta sauce, and sometimes canned veggies, plus cereal and various snacks that I may or may not partake of. ;-)

If you are in particular states where the laws do not require you to buy alcohol in order to take advantage of rebate offers from the beer companies, you can get great savings through rebates as well. I'm in NC and they do not allow the beer companies to require beer purchase for rebates, so for example I have one rebate that I'm doing where I will get back $25 for having purchase $25.01 worth of salty snacks and various other items that qualify (though I'm focusing on the salty snacks b/c I had to buy chips to take to a superbowl party and I love to stay stocked up on 100 calorie popcorn packs, so it was easy for me to fullfil that requirement). So that's basically free stuff right there. But as I said, those awesome rebate deals are only in certain states, and you have to actually get your hands on the forms which can be tricky at times.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Most of the grocery coupons we use are for canned goods, toiletries, and paper products (tissues, tp). Our store has in-store promotions if you use their club card. Occasionally, I'll check the sites, but usually, I forget. One thing that helps is that I sort the coupons by month, instead of by category. This way, when Feb is over, the Feb coupons get pitched.

Between the coupons and the points promotion that the store has, we've saved up to $80 on a single trip and got gas for one fill-up at under $2 a gallon. :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    And Walmart will match all competitors prices....so if something is on sale somewhere else, you can get it for the same price at Walmart.