kindle book recommendations

schnarfo
schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
Hi
I got a kindle for xmas and love it!! I read lots and lots of books now and just recently finished Divergent and thought it was brilliant. I cant think what to download next though.

Can anyone suggest any good reads? I dont mind what genre as I like a lot of different types of books.

Replies

• Looking For Alaska

The Secret Life of Bees

City of Bones

Interview with a vampire
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I just got done reading it on my Kindle--I loved it. It's a little...different.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I browse my library online they have ebooks to borrow. Our borrow lasts 7 days. It's been the best. Haven't spent a dime in 6 months and have read just a ton of great books.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    The Book Thief

The Hunger Games Trilogy

The Boxer

American Gods
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I just got done reading it on my Kindle--I loved it. It's a little...different.

This is on my 'to read' list!
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Hunger Games series
    Room: A Novel
    Water for Elephants
    The Help

I love my Kindle Fire!! :) Happy Reading.
  • schnarfo

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Read this and loved all three! If anyone likes these then you will love the Divergent trilogy (only the first one has been released so far though) finished reading it today and really wanted to read the second one but ill have to wait till march
  • schnarfo

I love my Kindle Fire!! :) Happy Reading.

I want a Kindle Fire so so badly but they are not available in the UK
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    I just finished reading the Freedom Writers on mine :)! I got Alcatraz, and I read a trilogy years ago called (Kissed by an Angel) and they came out with a second trilogy... debating on getting that on my kindle :P right now I'm reading Lust for Life and Charlie Chaplin's Autobiography :D
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Hi,
    I got my kindle 06/12/10 and have read 123 books so far!
    I tend to check out new releases in Big W ( Australia) or the reviews of new releases in the local newspaper or online, then I will download a sample prior to buying to make sure I like it. Once I do, I then research all books by that authour and try to read them in order. my favourite authors so far:
    Barry Maitland .
    David Baldacci
    Tess Gerritsen
    Andy McDermott
    James Patterson
    Karin Slaughter
    Enjoy!
    Jan
  • schnarfo
    Getting a sample is a brilliant idea!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Have you checked the editors' picks, or best seller lists?
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    I really liked the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. First one is The Eyre Affair. They're a lot more fun if you're familiar with the classics, like Jane Eyre, Great Expectations, Hamlet, Wuthering Heights...they really reward you for being a book fan. =)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    I'm a classics girl, so I'd highly recommend "Crime and Punishment," which I am working on now. I don't have a kindle, though. Does that make my suggestion moot?
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children today on my Kindle. Excellent book!!
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    check out pixelofink.com, it gives a list daily of free books on the Kindle, half are crap but occassionally you can find some gems.

my fave books recently are
    -The Help
    -The Hunger Games trilogy
    -Still Alice
    -The Kitchen House
    -The Glass Castle
    -The Confession: A Novel
    -Fragile Beasts: A Novel
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    and love all Harlan Coben books, especially his Myron Bolitar series.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    I love my Kindle and have read heaps of books...

One I really enjoyed was the Wizard of Oz Collection....It took ages to read but was well worth it....Cost me around $1.5AUD.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    I've had my Kindle since October 2010 and sadly the image shattered on it just last month, just a few months after the 1 year warranty expired. So thanks to Christmas gift cards I was able to purchase a new Kindle Touch that I'm waiting for to arrive in the mail! It took me a while to debate between the Touch and the Fire, the special offers or no offers and then the wi-fi or the 3G. I even took polls amongst my Facebook friends. Haha

But anyway, as for books, you've already listed off Divergent (loved this book) which I started reading because I finished the Hunger Games trilogy and just needed more of that style apparently.

If you're up for a little action adventure in a fantasy world of magic and dragons with a dash of romance that isn't all super smutty, then I would recommend the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (it's like 13 books long or so).

Then there's the teenage vampyre (yeah that's how they spelled it) series House of Night by P.C. and Kristin Cast. I think it's up to book 8 or 9 right now. Personally I really only enjoyed this up to the end of book 4 and then it went all WTH on me until the most recent book.

I've also recently discovered Barbara Freethy (All She Ever Wanted and Don't Say a Word were the two I read from her but she's definitely on my list of author's to read).

Melanie Rawn and the Dragon Prince series. It's two trilogies, so 6 books total. It's another action adventure story in a fantasy world of dragons with some romance.

Then of course if you're into romance novels there's Nora Roberts and Joan Johnston.

How to Not Be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler was an entertaining read whose cover sucked me in because it was just funny. Yeah I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover but I'm glad that this cover caught my eye.

32 Candles: A Novel by Ernessa T Carter. This is another book that caught my eye because of it's neon pink cover with a black silhouette of the main character in all her natural afro hairstyle glory.

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero was a wonderfully inspiring true story about a blind man and his dog escaping from WTC on September 11th, 2011. However, if reading about/remembering that day is incredibly upsetting for you then I would suggest just not reading it. But it was a really great book.

Then I've got a huge chunk of samples of stuff that I haven't even read yet just sitting on my Kindle because I'm so busy reading everything else. But I highly recommend getting the samples from Amazon to try stuff. There's also the Kindle Daily Deal website where everyday for 24 hours only, a different book is sold for a drastically reduced price (most of the time is is .99-$1.99) http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000677541 That's for today's book or you can just Google Amazon Kindle Daily Deal.

Then there's also this super great site that my mom found for a large variety of various FREE Kindle books that you can actually purchase and keep. It's Ereader News Today. Everyday there's about 20 or so books from all sorts of genres that they sell for free. They send you an email of the new books daily and you can also like their Facebook page. I come away with a few new books from them every week it seems. I in fact just finished one the other night (Failing Test) but I'm not really sure how I felt about it and whether or not I wish to actually purchase the sequel.

And of course there's the borrowing from the library option. I don't currently partake in that feature because I live overseas and my library is super duper LAME!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member

I want a Kindle Fire so so badly but they are not available in the UK

Just give it time and I'm sure that they will eventually be available there. They wouldn't ship the Touch to me in South Korea because you have to have a "US purchase and billing address" in order to use it on wireless. Which is really quite silly seeing as how they sell them at the BX here. So instead I had it mailed to my mom and she's going to ship it to me and then I'm going to change some info around and BAM I'll be able to purchase things on my brand new Kindle Touch in a country that it's not supposed to be used from. :)

And on a side note, I love how many people have suggested the Hunger Games trilogy. That series makes me happy.
  • schnarfo
    I decided to go with water for elephants :)
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    If you are on FB there is a page that gives links to free ebooks of the day.....

https://www.facebook.com/PixelofInk
  • shahendrickson
    shahendrickson Posts: 55 Member
    I like the authors:
    Harlan Coben (Myron Bolitar Novels)
    John Locke (Donovan Creed Novels)
    David Baldacci (Camel Club Novels)
    John Locke (Donovan Creed Novels)
    Michael Connelly
    Jonathan Tropper (My favorite author!) *