are strapless hrm's accurate?

Options
I think I need to get a HRM since I am only about 3 weeks into this, and it is going to be along process for me.

I have seen ones with chest straps, and without. Is there a big difference in the quality of such models? I would, of course, prefer the one without if it worked reasonably as good, but I have no idea what brands, styles, etc are best. I need something that will last me since I will be using it alot!

any help/suggestions are welcome here.

Replies

• tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I think I need to get a HRM since I am only about 3 weeks into this, and it is going to be along process for me.

I have seen ones with chest straps, and without. Is there a big difference in the quality of such models? I would, of course, prefer the one without if it worked reasonably as good, but I have no idea what brands, styles, etc are best. I need something that will last me since I will be using it alot!

any help/suggestions are welcome here.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know too. I have a watch only style, but am questioning the calorie counts. I'm pretty sure the heart rate is accurate. The machine I used showed the same number as my HRM, but the calorie counts were way off between the two. My HRM uses age and gender, while the machine used weight only.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I got one without a strap and it works by touching a sensor to calculate heart rate. You can't touch it the entire time you're working out so it estimates the calories burned by timing your workout and taking your heart rate afterwards.

I ended up not using it and the one with a strap is in the mail. :grumble:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I got one without a strap and it works by touching a sensor to calculate heart rate. You can't touch it the entire time you're working out so it estimates the calories burned by timing your workout and taking your heart rate afterwards.

I ended up not using it and the one with a strap is in the mail. :grumble:
    I'd have to agree with you, I have one that can be used with or without the strap, don't think I'd use it without because mine is the same way if you don't use the strap. If you are buying one get it with the strap.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Generally, if it doesn't take a constant measurement, it's not as accurate. There are ones that use an arm strap instead of chest. They are generally more expensive though.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I think I will be buying the one with the strap :) thanks!